• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer's English Dub Trailer Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation seriously needs to license the first season. I think it's silly to dub the second season of a show, just like how they've dubbed the second season of Tokyo Ghoul before the first.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
They can't license the first season. It has already been licensed to another entity.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll get around to pre-ordering Eternal Summer soon. Kinda sad that it doesn't include the OVA, though... Maybe, if the show succeeds and they go for the film, it can be included as an extra on that?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
FUNimation seriously needs to license the first season. I think it's silly to dub the second season of a show, just like how they've dubbed the second season of Tokyo Ghoul before the first.

First Toyko Ghoul was a simildub so that was a little different, second I think it's Cruncyroll that owns the rights to the first season. Funi said they were trying to work out a deal so that was months ago so i assume talks fell through at this point.

Funimation traditionally starts at the beginning of a series and it's rare for them to jump in the middle (One piece is the most notable case but that was such extraordinary case involving TV rights and a previous company)

I don't plan to watch Free, i watched a few episodes subbed last summer and just couldn't get into it, but I liked the trailer, I posted it on reddit and they were less then thrilled (Then again that's r/anime in a nutshell)

Lots of actors I like, Todd, Tatum, Greg Ayers, maybe when the dub comes out i'll give it a look and see if it catches my eye
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:
FUNimation seriously needs to license the first season.

The problem with that is that Discotek was offered a chance to pick up Free! Iwatobi Swim Club and they acted on the opportunity, so the English version of it will have to come from them instead (if they decide to ever dub it).
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:

It's not their fault of course. They can't help that they didn't get the first season of Free. I'm still hoping (though it probably won't happen) that they get it eventually. I'll seriously hate if Discotek does their own dub at this point because how strange will that be?

Anyway, the dub: I'm not sure yet. It doesn't sound bad so I'll probably get used to it eventually, but I do think that Haru's voice sounds too high for him. I'll still preorder this to support though because I do love Free.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I was skeptical about the English cast, but the voices sound very solid. Good job Funimation.

KENZICHI wrote:
They can't help that they didn't get the first season of Free. I'm still hoping (though it probably won't happen) that they get it eventually. I'll seriously hate if Discotek does their own dub at this point because how strange will that be?

I think there is a good chance that Funimation will eventually get season 1, when the contract of the current license holders expires. People will just have to be patient.

And I do not see Crunchyroll/Discotek paying for a dub. But I would not be surprised if somehow Funimation is allowed to make a dub of season 1, which could be streamed on both Crunchyroll and Funimation; it would be a win-win situation for both companies.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I know the circumstances full well, I'm just saying it's kind of a weird choice to dub the second season when they can't, of as now, dub the first season.

Oh, and Tokyo Ghoul is coming out dubbed by FUNimation in September.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great its just to bad they didn't get the first season
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
All the innuendos- it's so beautiful.

"Guys, we're jumping to conclusions, they're probably just friends." Funi knows exactly what Free's fanbase is mostly made of, or at least what would get our attention.

I think it's a a pretty solid dub in the trailer (J. Michael Tatum and JYB won my heart in this trailer, as usual), but going to have to wait and see how they do with the entire season before I solidify my opinion.

The only VA I'm iffy about is Todd as Haru. The man's a fantastic voice actor, but Haru's quite the role change when compared to his usual goofy or erratic characters. Even his villainous roles have a touch of sass to them.

I was actually expecting him to use his Death the Kid voice which, according to Todd, is the closest his voice can come to sounding like Batman.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I was skeptical about the English cast, but the voices sound very solid. Good job Funimation.

Yeah, that generally seems to be the case with the fanbase. It's not the performances people are skeptical about; it's the voices themselves (and perhaps the Tatum Script). Heck, I'm skeptical about the voice cast too, but, like you, I'm still willing to give it a shot. Smile
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm just whining here since I'll just have to be patient but I want a shiny Blu Ray of the first seaaassoooonnnnn ; ;

I ordered my blu ray of the second. The dub sounds pretty okay, really.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Oh it's so good to hear the Ouran cast back together. Greg sounds especially adorable as Nagisa. He might be my new favorite character in the show.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
What the heck are you doing, Funimation, dubbing the second season while letting Discotek release the first season without an English dub?!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
^
From the looks of it, Discotek is just distributing some series that CR obtained physical release rights for when they streamed them.

At this point, I think the real hope would be Funi getting the BD rights. Which is fine by me; I would buy a bare-bones Free release as long as it was a BD. (Unfortunately, Discotek's was a cheap-looking DVD with no extras.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2