• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Videos for Gonzo, Earthsea, Appleseed Sequel Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NNUfergs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:58 am Reply with quote
The Earthsea trailer does not have any English dubbing in it. It is just an English voice over.
leatherman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'm actually kind of disappointed that they changed the animation style for ex machina. I mean, from what I saw it was beautiful cgi, but it was cgi in the "everybody else is doing it" style. While it truly does look beautiful, I think the previous renderings would have made me feel better. They weren't quite realistic, but I still found them to be a good way of animating. Unfortunately the way they streamed it, I didn't catch a good portion of it because it would stop and play a single frame, but I hope that they still used motion actors for the characters.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
The 'Earthsea' movie looks really nice. I really want to see this. It's a shame that we have to wait until 'Sci Fi' channel gets off their asses and let go of the damn license. And I doubt trying to beat out the "fansub" community is going to make it go any faster. Though I'm hoping that it will shake them up enough to take action. Even if they did release the rights we would probably still have to wait and see if 'Disney' will go the distance and have it ready for speedy release. <crosses>

Well, good luck to the folks in the UK that will have the honor of seeing it in theatres. Now who said the UK never got anything good? Wink

As for the 'EX Machina' movie, looks "sweet". The 3D animation can only get better from here on. I enjoyed the first movie (and bought it recently) and I'm highly looking forward to this installment.

Oh that link doesn't work right. I'm sure it does but when you have to question whether you should or shouldn't. So I went to the movie site. I guess we'll see it early next year since the release date for it is October. Nothing like "kicking ass" in the fall.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute, they made Sparrowhawk/Ged a white man? The books series makes it VERY clear that he has brown skin! That alone may be reason enough for me to skip this Ghibli release. If they found it necessary to change even that, what else did they change and butcher?
halo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Wait a minute, they made Sparrowhawk/Ged a white man? The books series makes it VERY clear that he has brown skin! That alone may be reason enough for me to skip this Ghibli release. If they found it necessary to change even that, what else did they change and butcher?

It's apparently a matter of racial view. This is a quote from Ursula K. Le Guin's website and her first response to the movie.
The author of the original novels wrote:
I cannot address the issue of race in Japan because I know too little about it. But I know that an anime film runs smack into the almost immutable conventions of its genre. Most of the people in anime films look — to the American/European eye — white. I am told that the Japanese audience perceives them differently. I am told that they may perceive this Ged as darker than my eye does. I hope so. Most of the characters look white to me, but there is at least a nice variation of tans and beiges. And Tenar's fair hair and blue eyes are right, since she's a minority type from the Kargish islands.

Now that aside I did find the characters to look a little stereotypical. Now on to what else has been changed from the books and that's pretty much everything else in the movie too. There are just enough little nuggets left to confuse the hell out of you.

Of course if you can put prejudice aside, it's not a bad movie. It's not an instant classic but it kept me entertained. There are some issues with the story, it's particularly rushed and unexplained in some areas but that's the biggest issue for me and I've certainly seen worse. I'm very impressed if only for the fact that it's Goro Miyazaki's first time animating anything. He's got a lot of room to grow but it's a great start. I'm sure other peoples opinions will vary greatly depending on what they expect going into it. People looking for the Earthsea novels or the next Ghibli masterpiece will probably be disappointed.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
Sparrowhawk is actually drawn darker than your usual anime palette, but not by much. Same goes for Therru's scar, which is hardly "disfiguring".

The jumpy story seems to me to be because 4 distinct books, each with independent stories, were crammed into a single movie.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
mrgazpacho wrote:
The jumpy story seems to me to be because 4 distinct books, each with independent stories, were crammed into a single movie.

Actually, it's only the 3rd and 4th books involved in the movie I think.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote
No kidding? I read the first three books (back when there were only three) and thought that each novel was very different and stood alone fairly well. It seems odd that they would combine books especially since Tehanu came out so much after the third book. I almost bought the Japanese release of this DVD, but decided to wait for the UK release since hopefully the Optimum 576i transfer will look amazing like the Only Yesterday pressing.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:23 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Actually, it's only the 3rd and 4th books involved in the movie I think.

The main plot is from book 3.

The main character from Book 2 is a significant character in the movie, although the actual events of Book 2 are only briefly referred to in passing.

One significant "feature" of Book 1 is prominent in the movie, although not identical and in the end almost irrelevant. In fact, at the screening which I attended, the audience laughed at the revelation of this mystery, because it was so poorly integrated into the rest of the movie that the explanation was almost ridiculous unless you already knew the books, and even then it was a rather unsuccessful attempt.

The main character of Book 4 is one of the main characters in the movie, but I can't say how closely her character is taken from the book, as I haven't read it. However, she is vital to the climax of the movie which was very rushed in the usual Ghibli manner. The difference is that Miyazaki Hayao's movies tend to have their true conclusion as a very natural outcome of what came before, whereas this movie seemed to have a bit of the deus ex machina about it.
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Is the Ex Machina trailer a series of stills, or am I having internet problems?
leatherman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
Is the Ex Machina trailer a series of stills, or am I having internet problems?

No, it's the way they decided to stream it I think, because I had the same problem, at home and work. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the piece of crap that is WMP. Even if they had used a flash player of some form, or allowed you to download it on to your system, it would have been better than windows streaming capabilities. Then we would actually be able to see it.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Anyone having trouble with the Ex Machina footage, it's on YouTube (am I allowed to link or not?)

Anyway, I really like the changes in the 3D animation. While the first movie looked very nice when it came to the shiny buildings and mecha, the 'cel' shading on the characters was very awkward. It looks better smooth.

I do wish they hadn't changed Briareos' eye (or whatever) color. It's supposed to be red, dammit! Now he just looks evil Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That was helpful. I think the CG is improved on the human characters- the rest was not diminished, and was very good to begin with. It also looks like they're just moving ahead with the manga adaptation, which would also be a good thing. I'm kind of excited, now.
leatherman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Upon closer inspection (the Youtube video helped, but I was also finally able to view it from the link), I think I have to agree that the characters look better. I just found the previous way to be unique. What scared me about them switching was that it would end up being like Advent Children in the "lets show them what we can do with cgi" vein. But it looks like there is actually a story. I've been waiting for this since last year (?) when it was first announced, so I'm really excited that it's finally coming. As for Briareos' eyes, I don't know what to think. I think they looked evil red, more so than green, and in the original movie I think they were blue. The Briareos figure that came with the SE also has green eyes. So I think they just can't make up their minds as to what colour they should be.
brooklynmaiden51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:57 pm Reply with quote
in the ex machina trailer:
does anyone know what is the first song playing/(the one with the guy saying "get your mind right")and whose it by?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1