• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Inner Stella

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrumorum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
To clarify, the Nohr family in Fire Emblem isn't wicked. Your dad is a massive jerk but your siblings are nice and do love you.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
With the caption of the mouse over cursor for the Fire Emblem group picture, I'll be more concerned that spoiler[You are allowed to marry your so called blood siblings for Hoshido, like what? Laughing ]
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
Suikoden 3 battle over simplified? It character could move around the battle field which would affect AoE magic, it also added skill to character to make them a bit more distinct. I'm not saying its revolutionary stuff, but suikoden always had super simple combat system and 3 probably has the most complex one of them all. Remember how in 2 all you had to do in the first third of the game was just to use Jowy and Hero combination attack to win every fight?

It's also the one that stick the less to the tradition of it's predecessor since it has 4 different protagonist, has compared to 5 which might as well be a remake of 1.
toddc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
With the caption of the mouse over cursor for the Fire Emblem group picture, I'll be more concerned that spoiler[You are allowed to marry your so called blood siblings for Hoshido, like what? Laughing ]

If what I've heard is true, spoiler[the Hoshido game sorta pulls the same not-really-blood-related thing as the Nohr game. It's more obscured, though, which would make marriage even creepier.]
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Stella Glow was too easy, and even trying not to break the game (which is only possible in your first playthrough, because you will break it if want the true ending), still makes it easy. Also, there's no standalone OST CD for this game in Japan, just 5 character CD bonuses from the storefront and AmiAmi. It needs a standalone CD release of the entire OST BADLY, you would think that in a game that music is so important in the entire game would have a full ost release. Luminous Arc Infinity unfortunately has the same issue with their bonuses however, their first print unlike Stella Glow has a CD with all of the character songs in it and not split up. My god have a standalone OST CD release or offer the full soundtrack in an LE like Yorunonaikuni and Atelier Sophie.

FE If, no thanks, I don't support bad business models that would be simple to rectify with releases at separate dates or combining both games into one card. If the game is localized with a combined game with no censorship (or a combined version is released in Japan), I'll buy it.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban, if the reviews are good, I'll import it.

I also got the LEs of Luminous Arc Infinity and Yorunonaikuni (this game will have epic music, just the music on the website is epic) the day before for their CDs.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
It's epic that Nintendo has allowed same-sex options in Fire Emblem Fates. It may only be a small step to most, but I think this is a huge leap for them. I hope that they'll continue to allow the option of homosexual pairings in their future RPG titles.

As for the title itself, I really hope Nintendo will eventually debut a third version of Fates that has all three versions of the title in the cartridge.
andyscout

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
No mention of Persona 4 Dancing All Night in the imports? Just got my copy in the mail and it's great.
ferrumorum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
FE If, no thanks, I don't support bad business models that would be simple to rectify with releases at separate dates or combining both games into one card. If the game is localized with a combined game with no censorship (or a combined version is released in Japan), I'll buy it.

Personally I'm fine with the split release. Each game has about as many chapters as Awakening and when you buy one you can DLC the other at a discounted price. Also, Japan had a combined version (special edition) although there's no news if the west is getting one also.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
it lets the player's avatar bond with other characters, step-relatives included, by poking their faces on the touch-screen

.....I am so damn sick and tired about these controverses. So, you can touch the head and face to make your bonds stronger. there is nothing wrong with that. get out of the dark ages and lighten up.

Quote:
and peeping at them in the equipment-changing rooms.

Have you actually played the game and seen this? Have you actually SEEN THIS IN THE GAME WHILE YOU, YOURSELF HAVE PLAYED IT????? If not then stop blowing things out of freaken proportion if you haven't seen it yourself.

and only for all of you going eww incest spoiler[KAMUI IS NOT RELATED TO ANY OF THEM SO SHUT UP ALL READY!!!]

Quote:
That sounds like the sort of thing Nintendo will tone down (and should tone down) for a Western release.

Nintendo should put a M rating and just tone down some of what's being said in the amie thing AFTER you get married. But really, the people who makes such big deals over whats already in the game needs to lighten up and get their head out in the air for a change ::Sighs::

ok, rant over. I feel better now. I needed to get that out after constantly seeing these things every where. the annoyance just plied up. i mean no offense.

[/quote][/spoiler]
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
You can poke faces? Say it ain't so!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That sounds like the sort of thing Nintendo will tone down (and should tone down) for a Western release, in which case fans will argue over it anew.

Et tu Todd?

But seriously though if people were to argue against If/Fates being edited in someway, it wouldn't be a bad thing. Altering content in media is something I have yet to see ever have a practical or meaningful application.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Sauce for Natsume considering adding same-sex options to Harvest Moon?

The Harvest Moon series seems like a sort of game I'd enjoy, but I've always avoided it because you're forced into opposite-sex relationships Sad
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
The closest to a same-sex marriage in a Harvest Moon game is Harvest Moon DS Cute from what I remember. Where the girl can have a "Best Friend" instead of a husband. But Natsume made it so you can't propose to your Best Friend in the English release. In the Japanese release, not only did you get to marry, but you could have a child as well.

As for the Fire Emblem stuff, I read further and now I understand. Which I'm mixed about...spoiler[Basically pulling a Nohr in that you are not related to the siblings? But why even side with them if its based on a lie? And the story to make this possible just so you can marry, I don't know, kind of kills the integrity of the story to a degree.]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Summon Night 5: Personally I'm glad we're getting a mainline Summon Night title instead of those boring spinoffs. About the only thing those spinoffs were good for was the mostly hilarious localization dialog, but that only goes so far and the Working Designs style of "translating" isn't for everyone. This must be physically released.

Suikoden III: Hoo boy, this title. There's a lot to say about it. While it's great more of Suikoden is getting put up for download, this is the title that had people questioning the direction of the series quality back then (with IV doing the same damage Dragon Quarter did to Breath of Fire). The skill system, for example, wasn't well implemented, as it didn't make a tremendous difference in your combat ability (sure if the characters had an S or higher it was somewhat noticeable but not everyone had that option). Magic having chanting time was not a good idea at all as enemies could potentially shut down your casting very easily (and almost always did since hitting the caster is an automatic cancel).

The story was an entirely different kettle of fish. I did like the idea of the Trinity System, as it was a great way to see the plot from different perspectives (including Thomas's), but you could tell the whole thing loses steam toward the end after the characters figure out who's really to blame for everything. Including Nash from the Suikogaiden spinoffs was pretty cool since it gave non-Japanese gamers a chance to see this guy in action, but his presence was obviously overshadowed by everyone else. Picking a Flame Champion was a neat idea in context, but ultimately it's supposed to be Hugo since picking Geddoe means he loses the awesome True Lightning Rune to Hugo and picking Chris means she will never make good use of the True Fire Rune due to her mediocre magic ability (and again, this results in a True Rune going to Hugo to compensate for the decision).

I don't mean to be shallow, but about the only reason I really enjoyed Suikoden III was for the Lizard Clan and a fully mature Bright as a party member. The soundtrack took a hit in some places, with only the unique town/clan themes really standing out. The battle themes were dull and uninspired in contrast, but the boss theme, The Glittering Blade, at least managed to be good.

meiam wrote:
Suikoden 3 battle over simplified? It character could move around the battle field which would affect AoE magic, it also added skill to character to make them a bit more distinct. I'm not saying its revolutionary stuff, but suikoden always had super simple combat system and 3 probably has the most complex one of them all. Remember how in 2 all you had to do in the first third of the game was just to use Jowy and Hero combination attack to win every fight?

Suikoden III's battle system was poorly constructed. Moving around the battlefield seemed kind of cool at first, but as the game went on, it got to be a bit of a time waster, especially with all the repositioning. The pair up system was also senseless, seeing as the pairs don't follow instructions very well. And the fact your allies could get caught in your area of effect spells was by far the single stupidest idea ever. I don't know how anyone could honestly call that strategic planning, because it isn't.

Not to burst your praise bubble, but complex doesn't necessarily mean better. Look what happened when they tried to make Xenosaga Episode II's battle system "complex", for example. It was a disaster and a majority of gamers found it to be a humungous waste of time, since you spent far too much time preparing to attack rather than actually attacking, while also taking loads of damage from the enemy in the process. And Jowy drops out pretty fast so it's not like you can rely on his Unite Attack with Riou for that long (unless you do the Muse-Matilda Gate glitch), plus it is an efficient way of saving on magic and items while you level up before the Muse story cutoff point. So what if it makes it easier in the beginning? Your characters aren't exactly powerhouses for the first three major chapters, so you need all the help you can get to earn the money for blacksmithing and pricy gear.

I'm only relieved Suikoden V managed to salvage what made the series so great with I and II. A shame the Suikoden name has gone to crap though.

(^Whew, sorry about the Suiko tangent. I tend to get pretty passionate about the series, especially since it was nice while it had lasted.)

Stella Glow: I hope Stella Glow isn't going to be fondly remembered over time as "the game whose company died before it was released". It's truly sad how much crap the company went through to get to this point. Sure, a majority of their games didn't come here and Imageepoch still gets guff from people regarding Time and Eternity, but I never like hearing about a game company's doors closing permanently. That whole thing with the CEO's disappearance is quite a tale indeed though, and I wonder how long rumors will go on before something concrete about him comes to light.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I agree on Suikoden III. I remember it being kind of a chore to get through. The world map was designed in a way to make traveling tedious as hell. The battle system as mentioned was a good idea on paper,but not executed well at all. Also has a lot "where the hell do I go now moments". Not a whole lot of boss fights either until near the end. The boring war battles being even more tedious and boring,and the soundtrack being pretty forgettable.

I did like seeing some of the characters from II returning,and the story was okay for the most part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2