• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria the Virgin Witch Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its manga didn't show any indication of the complicated themes it would present, and the adaptation team isn't a group known for such extensive rewrites. However, Maria the Virgin Witch not only told its own story, but an immensely satisfying one. It's a fun watch from start to finish, tying up the series in a complete, cute bow.

For anyone that's read the manga and seen the show, do you recommend both? It seems like they may give different takes on the series.
Along those lines, which do you recommend first? Based on the above, I would presume the manga, then the anime, but all opinions are welcome.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Must say, this one is my favourite 2015 anime. So much so, I've started getting the manga.

Now, I'm not sure if some of the jokes slipped passed me while watching the anime, but I feel like there are more references to her virginity in the manga than in the anime.

Either way, I'm eagerly awaiting a home video release of this series. And, another re-watch.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
I like Maria the Vigin Witch.

But, its ending leaves more than a little to be desired, or at least it did for me.

spoiler[The whole ending is just....too fairy tale-ish to be honest, especially for a story that blends magic and actual history together.

The way they killed off of Bernard in particular was silly. I'm fine with it ending happily, but it was tide up too neatly.]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
As a shipping fan, I am kind of upset that (At least anime wise), she didn't get a male lead boyfriend. Since I have seen so much anime that has this trope, I have actually come to expect to happen in a majority of the series I've seen.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
spoiler[Apparently at some point some people try to rape Maria so she lose her magic, but if they're in a position where they can rape her, why not just kill her?]

spoiler[Because the Church wanted to make an example of her to the public by burning her at the stake. The man who tried to rape her was paid by the church to do it so that they could arrest her. ]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Rose wrote:
So Maria the Virgin Witch can be pretty dark, but luckily, it doesn't stay there.

For some reason I had a really really hard time with this. For some reason I was inclined to feel protective over Maria's character who herself didn't seem to think being roughed up was that big a deal. She is a wonderful female character.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
As a shipping fan, I am kind of upset that (At least anime wise), she didn't get a male lead boyfriend. Since I have seen so much anime that has this trope, I have actually come to expect to happen in a majority of the series I've seen.

I'll go with, "Who is Joseph".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Will definitely pick this up when Funi gets it out on BD.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it for what it was...and that definitely wasn't "A" quality story. I also didn't find it very funny most the time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Will definitely pick this up when Funi gets it out on BD.

I would say that would be at least 6-7 more months before we get it released here on DVD/BD. The series is rather interesting in how it handles virginity and religion since a lot of other series might not take it seriously, this one does.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
So far, this has been my favorite series for 2015. I was surprised by how engrossed I was only after the first episodes as that rarely happens for me. I loved everything about the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2