• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: SHAFT Opens 'Madogatari' Exhibit to Celebrate 40th Anniversary

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't realise they were around for that long. It was relatively recently that they made a name for themselves.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised that Shaft has actually been in existence for that long.
Anyhow, that feature of zooming through the portraits of the characters was quite an extraordinary feat! Smile
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Monogatari?

Bakemonogatari ?
anime#10196

i remember this series.. wow.. didn't notice they have like 5 other seasons and 1 movie..

i guess it's time to catch up Laughing

negima-- watch a few series but was not really interested in it

hidamari sketch-- anime#6811

wow.. this is what 6-8 years of being active is like
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I always forge they did Moon Phase..a major game changer anime for me. NEver expected to like an anime like that but they did it so well. Since then I've seen all their anime without trying to. Enjoyed most of it fairly well though I still think Bakemonogatari and Madoka are both overrated. Denpa Onna I'd still love to see more of Anime cry.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Yep, folks, SHAFT has really been around that long, it just wasn't the SHAFT that everyone's been familiar with. It was more of a secondary studio for much of its existence until the early 2000s, when they started doing full (but mostly co-) productions in earnest and it wasn't until a little while later when Shinbo came on board. They had some head-turners spoiler[(-tilters?)] before them (ex. Zetsubou, ef, Pani), but it was Bakemonogatari that put them on the map and Madoka that solidified them as a force and legitimized their style. Hard to think of any two other titles of theirs to be carrying their celebratory banner…

On a related note, I always think it funny about of how bad the anime world would break over the sound of a GAINAX x SHAFT production…only to realize it already happened three times, with Mahoromatic, This Ugly and Beautiful World, and He is My Master! Alas, that was pre-Simbo SHAFT (the latter overlaps with his beginning there, but it does not appear he did anything on that series)…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
So how come even though they've been around since 75, they didn't make a single show until 95, that strange animal show.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So how come even though they've been around since 75, they didn't make a single show until 95, that strange animal show.

Not all studios work on their own shows. Many just help out on other people's shows. You can watch regular anime and sometimes see Ghibli in the staff roll. Some major studios recede from doing their own work to subcontract work instead. Think of how some big players like Gainax sometimes go hidden for a couple years yet still pay the bills when we're told the profit margin in the industry is so narrow. You see Gainax in the credits for other shows all the time.

As for the technical reasons, you need some sorta way to sell yourself or a show, to get the funding for a full show. Early Shaft didn't really have that until Shinbo joined up. We're used to hearing of small new studios like Trigger explode out of the gate (Kill la Kill) but those guys are actually mostly Gainax veterans. Often times nowadays 'new' studios aren't all that new. Attack on Titan's Studio Wit is in fact just an offshoot of Production IG, thusly has a lot of experienced staff and connections.

Think of how there are 30 or so shows coming out a season, and then check each show to see 5-20 studios working on each show. Some are old studios that shrank, some never got big, but there are many who still haven't made a big debt that may still do so in the future.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
@ H. Guderian
Oh I know about outsourcing, it mostly seems to be in-betweens and backgrounds. The studios I know of that mostly do that, at least all the ones I've seen, still make their own shows, even if it is only a handful. I was surprised that Shaft spent 20 years, without making a single title. And when they did make a title it was a 39 episode show, Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
It was good I enjoyed, put the two that have sold more series in his studio ...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@ H. Guderian
Oh I know about outsourcing, it mostly seems to be in-betweens and backgrounds. The studios I know of that mostly do that, at least all the ones I've seen, still make their own shows, even if it is only a handful. I was surprised that Shaft spent 20 years, without making a single title. And when they did make a title it was a 39 episode show, Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger.

depending on teh show studios might do full episodes, thought that mosly happens with long runing shows, Iirc dragon ball was handled by like 6 different studios and it was very noticeable which studio did what episodes.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The site has some cleaver coding, not usually utilized. I liked the ability to literally scroll through the exhibits.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
We're used to hearing of small new studios like Trigger explode out of the gate (Kill la Kill) but those guys are actually mostly Gainax veterans. Often times nowadays 'new' studios aren't all that new. Attack on Titan's Studio Wit is in fact just an offshoot of Production IG, thusly has a lot of experienced staff and connections.

Sort of like how MAPPA is an offshoot of Studio Madhouse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1