• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metal Gear Solid Voice Actor Akio Ohtsuka: Kojima Productions 'Was Dissolved'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
If this is true, well... I don't think any of us can say that we didn't see it coming.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
No matter how much Konami tries to cover it up, it's pretty much common knowledge at this point that they had a falling out with Kojima, and in a fit of childish rage pulled the rug out from under him, took his studio and team, and pretty much gave him till the end of the year to pack his bags and get out.

I'm hoping he doesn't retire after all of this. I'd love to see what he could do now that he's free of the Metal Gear series. A spiritual successor to Silent Hills or a third proper entry/reboot in the Zone of the Enders series would also be a wonderful way to start off his post-Konami career.
BlueBrain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:51 am Reply with quote
Hahaaa it doesn't matter they can't stop it now! MGS V will be the best game since Ocarina of Time/San Andreas...
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
It is starting to become pretty clear that Kojima may have left the Konami premises.
blessed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
Well it's bout time we all salute Kojima and thank him
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
No Kojima, NO Metal Gear! This franchise is DONE.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
In any case, I think the future of Metal Gear Solid may look a bit brighter outside of Konami's domain.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling those games became increasingly more complicated, and expensive. And that the number of units sold didn't offset the costs enough. It's a shame Kojima's been exiled into the wilderness like this, but it's probably for the best. If Konami had kept him on-board, he probably would've frittered away his legacy on a lot of unmemorable games, since there's no way he was going to keep going back to that MGS well.
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
In any case, I think the future of Metal Gear Solid may look a bit brighter outside of Konami's domain.

Well, Konami is already looking for new staff for the development of a new Metal Gear series.
Omegaplib

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

You know that the franchises stays with Konami, right?
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Omegaplib wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

You know that the franchises stays with Konami, right?
I'm hoping they at least let him keep Zone of the Enders. They obviously don't see it as a profitable franchise, so why not give it to him?
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I'm hoping they at least let him keep Zone of the Enders. They obviously don't see it as a profitable franchise, so why not give it to him?

Spite? Make sure he doesn't get to make one and it turns out profitable? If he gets to keep the I.P. to any of the titles he worked on I'd be super shocked. You are more likely to see some sort of Zone of the Enders card/puzzle game on mobile than Kojima getting to make another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Incoming hordes of swarms of AHideoKojimaGame tags after this.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Ew, after the Phantom Pain, I'm no longer supporting Konami, they would likely turn into how Sega is now, or worse, the current SNK Playmore.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Ew, after the Phantom Pain, I'm no longer supporting Konami, they would likely turn into how Sega is now, or worse, the current SNK Playmore.
At least Sega recently stated that they've learned a lot from how Atlus operates. With any luck, we should see a revitalized Sega sometime in the near future. Hopefully.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2