• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga space issues! Aaaaah!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
I made some more shelves so i took some pics as i went and thought id share

First i went to the local builders merchant Rodger W Jones in Rhyl, I picked out the size of board i wanted and told the guy there how many i wanted and what sizes i wanted them at. I asked for 2 pieces 70 inches long, 7 at 52 inches and 1 at 53 and 1/2. The large for the sides the 53.5 for the bottom and the rest to go in between. The cost came out at a little over £27 which is far less than the £90 stores wanted for the book cases they were selling.
[img]
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Rammsoldat/2014-1_zpse984e0ab.jpg[/img]

First i found a good space to work which wound up being my mums workshop area where her dogs sleep so it was a bit messy but you can wipe the shelves down afterward and its the space that matters. I connected the sides to the bottom piece with glue and nails and made sure to wipe up any excess glue.

Once that was done i went along the side measuring out the shelf spacing (9 inches between each) and laying out the shelves to account for their thickness too. Once that was done I added more glue and nailed the shelves in place on one side. I left the other side detached to that it was easier to make adjustments.

[img]
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/Rammsoldat/2014-4_zps4700990b.jpg[/img]

When that was done i stood it on its side so i could hammer nails and glue into the other side and secure the shelves. My mum was helping me with this, having another set of hands is really a must.

I then added some brackets to the top, these dont have to be very substantial as they just keep it from falling forward.

Then i took it back home (i live just up the street so i carried it, its a good idea to be close to where you want to hang it) Drilled a couple of holes in the wall, threw some wall plugs in there and secured the shelves to the wall and sat em on the skirting board. Id have liked to hang them higher but the picture rail is in the way and I dont really feel like ripping that out at the moment as I've got no filler to patch the hole. There's a big patch of wallpaper missing where i used to have a pet bird sit and she liked to eat the wall. Im a total scruff so instead of decorating properly im just covering it with books until i can scrape up some cash to do the room properly.

so there we have how I do my cheap plentiful shelves, fingers crossed they dont fall off but my other 2 are holding up and are jam packed.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
RAmms' way is quite a bit cheaper, but for people stuck with shelves with lots of space between each shelf (the cheapo ones from Walmart), here's how I double up on my space.

Note: These pictures are more than 2 years old - the shelves are filled a lot more by this point, but it serves as a visual.

Here's one big shelving unit set-up:

I built my own mini-shelves that go on each shelf to create a back row shelf that sits higher than the items in the front. I built it so that you can still get an idea of what's in the back instead of the items being completely hidden from sight. The space underneath each mini-shelf is perfect for storing/hiding little trinkets.

I tend to put my manga on the back mini-shelves and my anime in the front. Most of the shelves aren't strong enough to hold two rows of manga (you can see some of them slightly bowing under the weight).

The space underneath each mini-shelf is 2 inches.

I need to build more mini-shelves at this point. I have two other big shelving units like this, so I need to create mini-shelves for them.

---

The other way I save on space is by donating manga to my local library, to charity auctions at my work, or selling them. If I don't think I'm gonna read them again, then they get sold. I've gotten pretty good at culling my collection over time. With anime, it's easier to save on space, since you can combine cases or store the DVDs/BDs in DVD binders. With manga, other than buying digital (which I would be totally cool with doing for series that aren't absolute faves that I want to collect physical releases and display), there is no easy way to cut down on space.

I wonder how things are going to look in 10 years time. No, wait, maybe I don't want to wonder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Bumping this thread because I just put in my order for Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun volume 1 and now with the announcement of Rose of Versailles I realize I need to do something to conserve space.

Unfortunately until I am able to move I dont have room for anymore shelves so I am considering storage boxes but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for manga.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:31 am Reply with quote
For storage of manga, the best I can recommend at this time are the boxes that paper comes in. If you have access to an office that uses a lot of paper or can get them from an office supply store that is selling the paper by the ream. This is about the maximum size you want. Anything larger will be too heavy.

If these are not available, look at an office supply store for "Bankers Boxes". They are a bit smaller and come with lids. My local comic shop used to be able to get boxes specifically sized for standard size manga but they are sadly no longer available.

There is a limit to how high you can stack boxes before the ones on top start crushing the ones on the bottom. Boxes stacked in a corner are a pain to use when you want to find something anyway. If you want to get shelving to hold the boxes be sure to get heavy duty shelving. Paper is heavy. Shelves that are 18 inches deep and three feet wide are just right for storing the boxes paper comes in.

As you put manga in boxes to store, be sure to label the box as you fill it. You are going to want to get the volumes out at some point or you wouldn't be keeping them.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
All of my comic shops sell short boxes. For both short and long boxes, they fit standard size manga easily, in double rows (top and bottom). For larger manga though, like the Viz Sig stuff, I get magazine boxes, which most comics shops also sell. They fit the oversized stuff, or if you put in some standard things, you can usually fit a few more in that extra space from the extra width on the Magazine boxes.

I label them two ways: by letter and by putting an image from a favorite series on the lid. I also have a sheet of paper telling me what's in those boxes, very important indeed. I have boxes up to "J" now though...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys I ordered 3 long boxes off EBAY so I am going to start with that. I do have a small comic book store near me so I will check out what they have.

I feel bad not having all my manga up on display but I guess you have to do what you have to do. And I guess this will be helpful when I am eventually able to move.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
I personally can't stand digital books, as there is nothing quite like a real book in your hand. Therefore, I have to store mine on two shelves in a room in my house. Unfortunately, though, I need to go get another bookshelf soon, as the two that I have are starting to overflow. I may have to move them into the garage. The only problem with that is that I live in the desert and the garage gets really hot! I don't want the heat to destroy the bindings!
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Maybe a little late for Maidenoftheredhand, sorry, but when I moved last year I went to the local liquor store (I don't drink so it felt kind of weird going in there...) and asked for some of their extra boxes. The ones that (beer/cider) bottles come in fit manga really well, with no wasted space (for standard US size manga). Plus they often have handle-holes on the sides, and they are an easy size to lift (for I am but a frail lady and cannot lift too much weight, hah), so they couldn't be more perfect. Plus they're free!

Here's how I stacked them in a box: spines up on the bottom layer, and then 4 cover-up stacks on the top to fill whatever space was left.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
^ sorry for the late reply but I appreciate the suggestions. I got the boxes but have not started moving my manga into them yet (laziness) so suggestions on how to place them help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4