• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
God eater does not have Videogame animation, it has '90s(or early '2000s) video game animation.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
[So I guess this is the last show.

I believe Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Ilya 2wei Hertz starts next week (or maybe the week after)...
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:
[So I guess this is the last show.

I believe Fate/Kalied Liner Prisma Ilya 2wei Hertz starts next week (or maybe the week after)...

Venus project also started today and we still go IM:CG in 5 days.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Ahirue wrote:
Rampo Kitan is someone's Death Note fanfic where Light and L team up as teen detectives with lots and lots of gay undertones and silly overdramatized stylization.

So it's basically just Death Note?

yes, the yotsuba arc.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I don't buy for a second that PS is intended as satire or parody. It is just taking what is normally a brief side joke in fan service-oriented anime - i.e., a guy getting brutally punished (whether fairly or not) by a girl for being perverted - and making it the focal point of the anime.

I don't totally disagree. However, I see it as a satire and parody in broad terms, meaning as a satire of school life and organization in general, but also as a parody of anime and manga's depiction of school as some kind of idealistic place for horny guys, and, which to me seems a bizarre choice by the author, as a parody of war camps, like how they're depicted in movies. An appropriate punishment for juvenile deliqueny and "horny boys being horny and stupid" in PS isn't just standing in the hallway with buckets full of water (which isn't done anymore these days in Japan btw., delinquents usually have to write an apology under the supervision of a teacher in a separate room) or getting some punches by girls and being yelled at the teacher, no, it's going straight to prison for perverted behavior and suffering hard for it (mistreatment by guards). IIRC, later on, school politics will play a role, in a kind of feud between the underground student council vs. a perverted principal.

Basically it's a trashy sexploitation comedy and the jokes are kind of tasteless. Nevertheless, I think they're hilarious at the same time because of good timing and over the top absurdness. The story doesn't want to be taken seriously, and shouldn't, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
God Eater: 2 / 5. The plot screams "Videogame" for all the parts of its body, but not in a good way, it feels like you've watched a training/tutorial part and a stage mission. But whatever, I was expecting that, I only saw this because I wanted to see cool battles with Ufotable Animation. Aaaand...

... eugh. I don't like this animation at all: The characters look wrong (those white lines, those flats colors that look too 3D [I'm not even sure if they are, but it's uncanny], and their movements who go from super static to super weird fluid in a moment; they lood cut-outs from other universe), awkward frame-rate, the pacing with those constant "slooow moootion-FASTMOTION-slooow motion-FASTMOTION-etc." (and with sound in the fast motion) is annoying as hell and it looks a desperate attempt to awaken you, and the fights didn't look that great, dynamic or hooking except in some individual shots, but it it's not the whole scene then it's not very enjoyable. Overall it wasn't even very entertained, so not following this.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in total agreement with you on this. Nothing about what it's doing is in the slightest bit fresh, either. It looks like it wants to depend heavily on cool weapon designs and characters being bad-asses, but it's going to have to show more than that to get my attention. With 8-9 other series already being definites (I am still debating whether or not to watch the TLR sequel as it airs, since it will be so heavily censored), this one's being cut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Is God Eater going on the preview guide?
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

I think it starts in to weeks since it takes the slot of Nagato Yuki-chan.

Well now I'll do like everyone:

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime: I read the manga so i knew what to expect plot-wise, but it was nevertheless a very nice adaptation visually speaking. The tempo was very nice I found and served the characters (like Raj) very well. Surely will continue to watch for that.

Classroom☆Crisis: First episode average, I very much liked the second episode with the documentary style. That with the op makes us plunge in a believable business world that I found quite original. Kudos to the directing on this one, like Shirayuki.

Durarara!!!x2 Ten: Contrary to other people I quite liked last season, so suffice to say that this one starts with a blast! Loved the second episode that made me think "uh they seem more sane this season... NOPE".

Gangsta: Watched 2 episodes, will surely stop if the third is not better. Basically Black Lagoon with much less craziness, with quite a slow pacing. The mute MC does not save this for me unfortunately, which is quite damageable since it was quite original.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight: Loved the first season, the second left me uncomfortable on the level of ideas. I found it quite logical since I manage to think that it is no longer our world but a post-Crowds one, but still very... uncomfortable. Will nevertheless surely watch it, if only for Nick commentary.

Gate: Quite liked this one. If only for the fact that for once we have an anime that does portray the army like they should be, I also quite like the clash of civilizations and have great hope for the rest. Only downside for me is the probable harem aspect, but we're not there yet.

God Eater: Dropped. I didn't like the art, I didn't like the story, I didn't like the pacing. I already knew I wouldn't like it but at least I had hopes that Ufotable would make this watchable.

Overlord: As a fan of Log Horizon I was very doubtful on this one, but the first episode reassured me. Like many said, it is another take of a generic premise, but this one is sufficiently different from both SAO and Log Horizon for me to watch.

Prison School: Dropped. I only watched the first episode based on the WTF on the forums but it's really not my cup of tea. The animation and pacing was quite good, but it does not compensate the bad characters and story.

Rokka no Yuusha: The first episode was very catchy on almost all sides, the art, the animation and the pacing were all top notch, despite a classic story, but episode 2 was a real let down. I'll wait the third episode for a definite opinion but if the rest of the series is on par with episode 2, it'll surely be a drop.

Shimoneta: I'll watch it. It is a real mystery as to why I loved this while I hated Prison School.
Basically, I felt like Shimoneta was going somewhere when Prison School does not. Okay, some jokes in Shimoneta are on par, or even worse, than what is on Prison School. But the fact that the episodes go at 200km per hour mean that even if a joke does not land, it doesn't really matter since the next will surely land. Moreover, I found some jokes really intelligent. Sure their are a lot of childish sex-jokes, but on the other hand the whole story is a satire of today's society (Shinzo Abe when talking about the PM), with obscure references (the pool which is the Japanese equivalent of the couch). Some jokes do not even need pervert references to be enjoyed (I almost spilled my drink when the MC started talking during the vision test, same when the president sent flying the roof's door).

Sore ga Seiyuu: It's not as good as Shirobako, but nevertheless I think it will be a good documentary. Will surely watch it.

Working!!!: My biggest disappointment of this season. I expected a lot from Working, since I loved the first 2 seasons. The worse is that it is not the fault of the source material. I still smile and laugh at some jokes. But the pacing... Working was a success for me because it took the source material and transcended it by it's transposition to the anime medium. The jokes were flying at a high speed, while still making the restaurant feel alive.
Here, not only the pacing is slow as hell (I even have the feeling watching that the seiyuus have to slow down when talking), but the situations do not have good transitions.
I'll still watch it, since there is the hint that a lot of things will evolve during this season, but it is the greatest disappointment for me since I expected so much.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Doesn't look like it. Zac has said that we're done with the Preview Guide. We're shifting gears to the streaming episode reviews, which start with shows that are getting their second eps tomorrow (IOW, Snow White and Actually, I Am. . .).

And yes, that does me that shows which have already had their second episodes will be starting when their third episodes debut later this week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
God Eater: 5/5
This was great
One of the better first episodes of the season
Best part was the arrival of the 1st unit (especially Lindow's introduction)
I also loved the scene where Lenka's God Arc transformed from Sword Mode to Gun Mode
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Here are my thoughts on God Eater:

100/100, best anime of the season.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Nope. We need to close preview guide down sometime and get a couple days of rest before work starts up again. The first episode will be covered for daily streaming by Lauren Orsini by tomorrow evening-ish, so look forward to that.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
God eater is a 5 for me. There wasn't a thing I didn't like.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku

I understand the need to end the Preview Guide at a set point. However this seems to be an ongoing problem with one or two shows having a debut too late to make the guide each season. Would it be possible to have a single person do a Preview type review for such shows when they do come out? Assuming, of course, that they are not selected for episode reviews.

Just something to think about for next season.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel that the confusion surrounding Chaos Dragon is due to most people on this forum having no experience with Tabletop RPG's. It definitely has that feel of a session down from the various descriptions I've read. If it's really that bad, I'll be kind of disappointed given how much I like RPG's. Oh well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 48