• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shenmue III's Record-Setting Kickstarter Ends at US$6.33 Million

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Yu did it! Congrats!
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Its sad to see that all the controversy surrounding the funding of the game stalled the pledges for a while. It could have reached every stretch goal if it hadn't come to light that Sony was indeed funding it to some extent, causing confusion as to why it even needed kickstarter. Still, glad to see that Suzuki will finally be able to realize the rest of the series, and with PayPal funding and other private investors, he should be able to hit the rest of the stretch goals and make the game he has dreamt of making.

It was sad to see that Kickstarter trolls took the most important pledges and held onto them until the last minute and then withdrew about 10K worth. Bunch of not-so-nice-people.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
deserved it! Yu Suzuki ftw

As for the trolls and haters, it's a shame they didn't actually do any research. All the searching I've done seems to show that Sony is only marketing it, and paying for exclusivity. That's not enough to MAKE a game, at all.
Tigercml

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm one of those happy backers. I've been patiently waiting many long years for any glimmer of hope for Shenmue 3 to come to fruition. Shenmue is my favorite game series of all time. I'm so happy to finally get a chance to continue Ryo's journey.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Tigercml wrote:
I'm one of those happy backers. I've been patiently waiting many long years for any glimmer of hope for Shenmue 3 to come to fruition. Shenmue is my favorite game series of all time. I'm so happy to finally get a chance to continue Ryo's journey.
Sadly I never had a Dreamcast as a kid, so I never got to play the first two Shenmue games. I'd love to be able to experience them and see what others hold in such high regard(Though judging from the soundtrack and world alone, I can already tell that it's a one of a kind masterpiece.). Hopefully Sega will release an HD Collection or something so I can have a chance to play them before Shenmue III releases.
Tigercml

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Tigercml wrote:
Sadly I never had a Dreamcast as a kid, so I never got to play the first two Shenmue games. I'd love to be able to experience them and see what others hold in such high regard(Though judging from the soundtrack and world alone, I can already tell that it's a one of a kind masterpiece.). Hopefully Sega will release an HD Collection or something so I can have a chance to play them before Shenmue III releases.

I really hope that Sega releases an HD version too. Not only because I would love it but so people like you who've never played the originals can also have a chance to play the game from the beginning. If more people can play the originals it could lead to more sales of Shenmue 3. And if Shenmue 3 is a great success then Shenmue 4 can be an almost certain possibility.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Tigercml wrote:
Nyren wrote:
Tigercml wrote:

I really hope that Sega releases an HD version too. Not only because I would love it but so people like you who've never played the originals can also have a chance to play the game from the beginning. If more people can play the originals it could lead to more sales of Shenmue 3. And if Shenmue 3 is a great success then Shenmue 4 can be an almost certain possibility.
People can complain about cash grab HD Collections, but if there is one thing they can do, its introduce older games to a newer generation or to anyone who might have missed it when it originally released.
lanierd2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
If anyone here thinks that Sony did this of their own free graces. You have to be mistaken. Some of this money went right into Sony's pocket. No mega company like Sony is spending marketing dollars because they are a fan of a game. They saw an opportunity to capitalize even more on consumers and took advantage of our nostalgia. Don't be suprise to see this happening more.

On a good note, it will be wonderful for those who missed out on this series to now experience and see what made it great in some people's eyes.
F-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
lanierd2 wrote:
If anyone here thinks that Sony did this of their own free graces. You have to be mistaken. Some of this money went right into Sony's pocket. No mega company like Sony is spending marketing dollars because they are a fan of a game.

It's mostly to give the PS4 a good image and convince people to go out and buy one. That's what E3 conferences are all about after all, and it's no coincidence that it was at Sony's that the reveal happened. Plus there's the obvious profits from post-release sales, which are a separate revenue than the Kickstarter funds.

I don't know, saying that part of the funding goes to Sony is basically saying that Yu Suzuki would've lied to all his fans. I just don't see it. And this kind of lie would leak eventually. You know an eventual ex-Sony employee would say something. You can't just throw around huge lies like that.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
Well I guess we won't be getting the "truly open world" Suzuki was squeaking about needing $10million for. Of course that's the fans fault for not ponying up the cash for a game that only exists in the head of a guy whose post Shenmue career has been a flop. Now we play the waiting game.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
Sega is more into other things now than console gaming.
Nyren

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Well I guess we won't be getting the "truly open world" Suzuki was squeaking about needing $10million for. Of course that's the fans fault for not ponying up the cash for a game that only exists in the head of a guy whose post Shenmue career has been a flop. Now we play the waiting game.
They opened up a PayPal account so that supporters could continue to donate and hit the stretch goals. Not to mention he's also looking at private investors to help fill out what's left or however much he can.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Not exactly my cup of tea, but good for them Smile
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
lanierd2 wrote:
If anyone here thinks that Sony did this of their own free graces. You have to be mistaken. Some of this money went right into Sony's pocket. No mega company like Sony is spending marketing dollars because they are a fan of a game. They saw an opportunity to capitalize even more on consumers and took advantage of our nostalgia. Don't be suprise to see this happening more.

What a load of bollocks. It's been long since established that Sony will not see a single penny from this Kickstarter. Sony has no direct involvement with the game's development, the only thing they are providing funding for is for the game's PS4 port once the PC version is completed.

Misinformation from the ignorant is what hurt this KS in the early goings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1