• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GATE

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
As someone who is caught up with the manga and is loving the series they did a pretty good job adapting it. Yes a few things were cut off maybe time and budget concerns during the battles but for it to air on TV they were definitely going to have to tone it down but not censor as others put it.

The scene with Rory's introduction lost some of it's impact and made more sense in the manga version.

When she approaches the bandits it shows a mother and daughter murdered and naked, they had been raped but it wasn't shown.

So she slaughters them as punishment for their evil deeds. One bandit who didn't get a chance to rape the 2 girls is initially spared so he can dig them proper graves and make amends. But Rory quashes his hopes saying you weren't born a bandit and you made your choice and kills him off to for his part.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Let me make this clear:

Content that differs between the manga and anime versions should be put in spoiler tags. What's already been said about Rory's introduction being different has already been brought up now by multiple people, so I'm not even going to try to clean that mess up now, but in the future posts with untagged manga spoilers could be deleted. And this is a forum-wide standard, not just for this thread.

That being said, it does seem almost like they're going overkill on toning the graphic content down, but I don't see that as a major problem. And besides, as someone pointed out, it could well be the manga version which is juicing up the content rather than the anime toning it down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
This fascist anime arrive just in time to see how Japanese government wipe its ass with article 9. Just watching to see how far they will go with this imperialistic panphlet with a moe sugar coat.

Do you have the same problem with American war films and books? Honestly I have followed GATE for a long time, and have seen this opinion brought up continuously. But the problem seems to be that this is Japanese story and not from western country. Golly we can't have some nationalism in a war story not ours can we? How dare they! As for fascism, you do realize all military's are fascist organisations to a greater or lessor degree right, by necessity. I think GATE overall does an interesting job of discussing later the tensions between a mostly authoritarian military structure intent on protecting Japan (and getting extra benefits). In that sense it is a reasonably realistic story, as it is a perfectly normal reaction to having your home country attacked and people slaughtered. Although the seeming mostly unconcern with which the Japanese slaughter medieval knights is certainly off-putting. However the story does make a point of the subtle manipulation of the people back home going on to allow this to happen. And I think this is what most people with viewpoints similar to yours are missing. The author never says that everything the characters are doing is right. In fact parts of the side-story quite obviously show that most of the Japanese people back home have no real clue as to what is going on beyond the GATE, essentially the military is acting as an independent force. The author is quite nationalist in tone, and Japan banzai. I don't agree with a lot of it, doesn't mean I am dismissing it simply because the author has some different views to my own though. If you think this is overly imperialist you have obviously not been reading popular American literature lately have you, particular some of the sci-fi. Overall I have read far FAR worse fascist military fiction from popular American authors.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
So she slaughters them as punishment for their evil deeds.
This is part of what makes her characterization kind of off. In the manga, spoiler[she doesn't consider their deeds to be even evil. She serves the god of death, after all, a bit of murder doesn't bother her.] But from the anime point of view, that interpretation could easily apply.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:
This fascist anime arrive just in time to see how Japanese government wipe its ass with article 9. Just watching to see how far they will go with this imperialistic panphlet with a moe sugar coat.

I didn't know Pravda was writing anime reviews now!
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quick notes on the review: the Gate opened in Ginza not Shibuya, and the ancient flame dragon was not sent by the Emperor as part of the scorched earth tactics. The sage says as much in the third episode, when he says the dragon woke 50 years too early, implying it's more a force of nature with a hibernation cycle than anything that man can command.

Also, I've made my feelings on this manga series (and the web, light, and full novels that it was based on) clear in previous threads, including the Summer Preview Guide one, with my walls of text there describing the political and nationalistic failings of this series. I'm still hate-watching it though, as I can't look away from a train wreck waiting to happen. Just really want to see if the anime tones down the right-wing nationalism and racism that was present in the web novel, which had to be removed prior to reissuing the series as a novel and eventually was toned down even further as it became a light novel and manga. The manga is still pretty out there, and it looks like the anime has already sanitized it even further, with what happened in this and previous episodes. Not just the gore, but all of the sex stuff that was present in the series as well so far in this previous episode.

The bullshit political stuff is still shining through, and I expect we'll get more of that as the series goes on.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
KamikazeJawa wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:

for US.. we don't really care.. but GATE is probably another series going on the ban list for the chinese..

i got a good hard laugh when i got to this page.. Laughing Laughing

Cool
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:59 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
My only complaint so far is that it dumbed down the dragon fight and cut out some of the darker scenes. They're basically cutting out one of the biggest sides to Rory's character by removing some of the scenes.

This is Blu-ray Material. Not because of the Money. No because the Airing TV Time. Perhaps they can add some 18+ Stuff on Blu-ray, what they are not allowed on TV. Also, they can use this first Fight to add some scenes as Flashback, or the last Hit was an miss, to make him piss his Pants, and she can still play the Revenge Prophet. But as i told, Blu-ray Material, and i hope they keep these Rape and stuff, to a reasonable level. But on Blu-ray, they can do what they want. Because 18+ and strong selling point. But they should handle it with care. These JSDF Army is of course OP, thanks to their Firepower. the only one so far that are not impressed, are Dragons...

[EDIT: Spoilers removed. - Key]

p.s.s. Article 9 flame debating incoming. Brace for Impact. That how it began on my favorite Blogsite. Yeah, Fiction and Real World, for someones it is the same

Last edited by Seska1973 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
KamikazeJawa wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:

for US.. we don't really care.. but GATE is probably another series going on the ban list for the chinese..

Remember the Manga was drawn around 2006. Where some US Politics was very pushing.. Time has passed until them. But Paper do not know History

Please take that into the Account

p.s. Sorry
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
KamikazeJawa wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:

Remember the Manga was drawn around 2006. Where some US Politics was very pushing.. Time has passed until them. But Paper do not know History

p.s. Sorry

2006 or 1990 even..

my comment was not aiming at politics.. but the ignorance of people in general

for example

if you speak Spanish-- you are Mexican and from Mexico
if you are black you are from Africa ?

US is the only country with black agents?..

Confused that's why i got a good laugh at it....
Laughing
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Seska1973 wrote:

p.s. Sorry

2006 or 1990 even..

my comment was not aiming at politics.. but the ignorance of people in general

for example

if you speak Spanish-- you are Mexican and from Mexico
if you are black you are from Africa ?

US is the only country with black agents?..

Confused that's why i got a good laugh at it....
Laughing

Yeah, there are also French Foreign Legion Army. the English Army. and many others

So this Black = USA is a good laugh

But as we both said. It was written a way back ago. where Politics where different as now Today
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
People already aren't listening.

I have already removed one post and edited another for engaging in manga/novel spoilers beyond what has already been revealed. If the details have not come up in the anime so far, you should not be talking about them untagged!

Seriously, people. Be considerate. At least some of us following this series have no previous experience with this franchise and want to find out stuff on our own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Seriously, people. Be considerate. At least some of us following this series have no previous experience with this franchise and want to find out stuff on our own.

I have not been exposed to this franchise either, and if posters keep bringing up stuff from the source material, I will have no incentive to come to this thread.

I am enjoying the GATE anime, and I don't care about how it differs from the light novels and manga.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
If you post untagged spoilers from the source material for this show in this thread from this point forward you will be placed on Moderated status, which means your posts will not go through until they're approved by a moderator. If you continue to do so, you will be banned. We will not tolerate anyone ignoring this rule.
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm going to make a few contents regarding stuff..

Keep in mind, the original web novel was written in 2006 (novel, manga, and light novel were between 2010 - 2012) Thus America's president, Bush, was seen as a jackass by the rest of the world.

Also, regarding Rory's scene—the manga actually added a lot to this scene that wasn't in the novel. The anime followed more with what the novel had for this scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 31