• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viewster to Stream Key the Metal Idol

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokiko ex Machina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I have to say, as a long time Key the Metal Idol fan, I thought I'd never see the day. I'm glad more people will finally be able to watch this rare gem at last. Being that this anime is hard to find on DVD since it's out-of-print along with the fact that its never been legally streamed before, this comes as a huge surprise for me.

And even if you could find the box sets, they usually fetch for an arm and a leg nowadays.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Keep it up, Viewster. I'd like a legal option for watching more older shows other than vicariously through Benet the Sage.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
worldwide outside of Japan and Asia.

Implying that they doesn't release Spanish subtitles (or in any other language) and for them, Latin America is only Mexico, Brazil, Colombia and Argentina...
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viwester will stream World Masterpiece Theater. Very Happy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This was a hot fansub item back in the day.
DTJB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Key is definitely worth watching.
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see Key get another chance at exposure in the US. However, I don't know that it's going to be very popular. It's a good story, but it's not going to appeal very much to the younger crowd. I guess Viewster is trying to get us old farts on their side.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
This is really interesting to hear, actually. Surprised there are Key fans still out and about in the industry right now.

One thing I am trying to figure out though, is who owns the rights to Key in Japan? Studio Pierrot? Did the rights revert to Hiroki Sato? Pony Canyon? The show is OOP, and it never got a lot of merchandise (i would know, still been trying to hunt down the Pizza Shock hat Viz gave away in 1997). And there's been no word about a bluray release.

About two years ago, the "Key the Metal Idol" official website was taken offline. Thankfully it was saved by the way back machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040204101541/http://pierrot.jp/title/key/index.html

Hoping more people check it out, but also not sure who would be interested besides old fans who already own physical copies of the show.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that the series is a very early - and very different - idol show might give it an in-road these days that it wouldn't have had 3-4 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the timing of its revival has at least something to do with this.

Although I haven't rewatched the series in a while (damn, that should have been one of my summer priorities!), its visuals probably aren't going to stand up too well. However, its music and story definitely will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
The moment I saw this thread I was waiting for you to pop in Key and make a post heh. I agree with your point on the timing. The handful of idol type shows in the past few years certainly has made that sub-genre prominent for the moment and given Key The Metal Idol a fine opening to maybe gain some new fans.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
This is really interesting to hear, actually. Surprised there are Key fans still out and about in the industry right now.

One thing I am trying to figure out though, is who owns the rights to Key in Japan? Studio Pierrot? Did the rights revert to Hiroki Sato? Pony Canyon? The show is OOP, and it never got a lot of merchandise (i would know, still been trying to hunt down the Pizza Shock hat Viz gave away in 1997). And there's been no word about a bluray release.

About two years ago, the "Key the Metal Idol" official website was taken offline. Thankfully it was saved by the way back machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040204101541/http://pierrot.jp/title/key/index.html

Hoping more people check it out, but also not sure who would be interested besides old fans who already own physical copies of the show.

You're right. The strange and kind of unique way the show was originally funded (it had a very non-standard production committee) is what caused it to slip into licensing hell over the past years, but fairly recently (I think only 2-3 years ago max) Fuji Creative Corp. managed to assemble all the various disparate rights to it.
So thank them for the show now being available for licensing at all again.
Now hopefully the materials all still exist somewhere...
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
I really liked Key, it's one of my more favored shows. I have the DVDs and soundtrack CDs tucked lovingly away. It would be nice for more people to see it. The only problem with the show (at the risk of spoiling a 20 year old show) is it got too damn sad at the end.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
GDMaid Man wrote:
I really liked Key, it's one of my more favored shows. I have the DVDs and soundtrack CDs tucked lovingly away. It would be nice for more people to see it. The only problem with the show (at the risk of spoiling a 20 year old show) is it got too damn sad at the end.

I think the biggest issue people will have is the exposition of "wordswordwords" in the last few eps, explaining away all the shows mysteries.

It's my favorite series, but that definitely is one of the show's flaws.

But I really hope the visuals and hauntingly beautiful music gets to people like it did us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1