• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Older Shows Go Unstreamed?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd have thought from a streaming sites POV that a sequel of a not so popular/well known series might be less appealing than a new one, since you know it will have a small audience whereas all bets are off with a new show no matter how bad/unpopular it turns out to be. The more so if they don't already have the rights to the first season, or they've expired in the time since it first streamed. Maybe if the license owner was willing to be paid less for the rights than they were for S1, but I can't imagine many of them go into negotiations looking to come out with less than they got before.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
While there are many older shows I would love to see streamed legally, most of them can either easily fount on home media or fount online. I feel guilty for watching a current show on some illegal site, but not one that's out of print and the license has expired.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
What I'm curious about is if news sites like ANN could still do reviews for shows that are not legally streaming in the US, if only to drive up interest and get the word out. Would that be viable or would that be construed for promoting piracy? Or is it because there are deals with other sites to promote the streaming services?

Does it matter considering the shows aren't available in the US anyway? Not to mention, for sites on the internet that don't have to deal with international boundaries with regard to viewership, can't those reviews be targeted towards an international audience that may have access to the shows?

Last edited by Actar on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I think there were rumors Seven Deadly Sins was picked up by Netflix, but since it hasn't turned up, it seems to be unsubstantiated. I want to see it, but I want to take care of the part of my backlog that I can stream legitly before I do illegit ones.

Actar wrote:
What I'm curious about is if news sites like ANN could still do reviews for shows that are not legally streaming in the US, if only to drive up interest and get the word out. Would that be viable or would that be construed for promoting piracy? Or is it because there are deals with other sites to promote the streaming services?

Does it matter considering the shows aren't available in the US anyway? Not to mention, for sites on the internet that don't have to deal with international boundaries with regard to viewership, can't those reviews be targeted towards an international audience that may have access to the shows?

For the preview guide, they used to preview shows that did't have a legit stream. Sometimes they would do the post before the legit stream came out (meaning they watched the earlier released illegit stream). Needless to say, they don't do that anymore

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I agree that most of the viewing traffic (read: potential revenue) comes from that "unknown" element ("what will happen the next episode?", "which scenes are in the movie?", "are there new character in this book?"), when the data isn't available yet. But when an older IP is getting release on a new platform (in this case, [anime] and [streaming] respectively), there are already synopsis, character charts, episode/scene breakdown and more, theoretically causing people to be less interested in said IP.

However, it isn't always the case, and even if it is, it can be mitigated by promoting the title; if the IP was a hit back in its day, and became available again for consumption, it could draw traffic. Case-to-point - currently, some of Steam's Top Sellers are these titles (the image came out as a bit small, but these are the main points):
#*4 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (released in Aug. 2012);
#*7 Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition (released in Feb. 2009);
#*8 Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition (released in Feb. 2012);
#13 Terraria (released in May 2011); and more.

Point is, advertising the IP will raise the total fees for a series, but it can be recouped, but as long as there aren't serious attempts to check those possibilities, it will all remain theoretical.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I think there were rumors Seven Deadly Sins was picked up by Netflix, but since it hasn't turned up, it seems to be unsubstantiated. I want to see it, but I want to take care of the part of my backlog that I can stream legitly before I do illegit ones.

I want someone to pick it up for home distribution. This is a Shonen ripe for dubbin, straight in Funimations alley (Especially since they do a lot of A-1 shows, specifically Fairy Tail.)

I think Sins was popular enough that it will see a release in the US some day.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Then there are the odd little exceptions. In the UK the streaming service Viewster started streaming 2006 Noitamina anime "Hataraki Man", based on the manga by Moyoco Anno.

"Hataraki Man" never, ever, got licensed in English before.

No idea how that came about, but I'm glad it did!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
With the StrikerS and ViVid seasons constantly being left in the cold of no-man's land, it seems that MGL Nanoha is destined to end up with the likes of You're Under Arrest, To Heart, Super Gals, and Kodocha: forever unfinished and forgotten. I know this may be a doom-and-gloomy outlook to have in this case to some, but, unfortunately, that's the harsh reality of it. Confused *Sigh...*
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i.e., Nanoha ViVid, Dog Days", Milky Holmes, etc. ...j

All three shows Justin mentioned above do have sizable Western fanbases and were translated reasonably soon after airing. Any notable property in the same situation hitting airwaves is highly likely to receive a translation in a similar manner as well.

The production companies may have an understandable reason to withhold a streaming license, and equally the American licensee might have a reason not to opt to license a particular show. They don't even have any obligation to disclose why.

But whatever gains they may hope to win with such an approach, the endgame will still be a losing proposition. Because fans will go to those translations, in absence of official ones. The shows were still watched, but whatever they may have earned from a potential streaming was just lost...

Nitpick;
Quote:
... it's also true that North American licensors don't pursue ...

Shouldn't it read licensees if the American companies are the ones licensing certain rights to a show from Japan?...
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
With the StrikerS and ViVid seasons constantly being left in the cold of no-man's land, it seems that MGL Nanoha is destined to end up with the likes of You're Under Arrest, To Heart, Super Gals, and Kodocha: forever unfinished and forgotten. I know this may be a doom-and-gloomy outlook to have in this case to some, but, unfortunately, that's the harsh reality of it. Confused *Sigh...*

Ah, Nanoha that's some memories.
Super Gals was finished officially in English though. Not dubbed fully but, all the episodes available at one point as well as the manga. There was a ton of You're Under Arrest released too so not sure what's missing there?

Really there are a lot of shows that were never finished if you go back. I'm personally really happy Detective Conan is simulcasting for more people. Though it's hard maybe for new viewers sometimes if you don't understand the who's who on certain episodes. I don't know how people keep up with streaming even a few shows every season though. I never can. So a company even interested in something from the past whether it was released or not before sounds challenging. There is just so much out there streaming in the U.S. competing for eyes.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Super Gals was finished officially in English though. Not dubbed fully but, all the episodes available at one point as well as the manga. There was a ton of You're Under Arrest released too so not sure what's missing there?

I was referring to their English versions. Yes, their subtitled Japanese versions of YUA are all there, complete, but only the first season and the OVAs that were tied to it were available in English.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
However, it isn't always the case, and even if it is, it can be mitigated by promoting the title; if the IP was a hit back in its day, and became available again for consumption, it could draw traffic. Case-to-point - currently, some of Steam's Top Sellers are these titles (the image came out as a bit small, but these are the main points):
#*4 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (released in Aug. 2012);
#*7 Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition (released in Feb. 2009);
#*8 Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition (released in Feb. 2012);
#13 Terraria (released in May 2011); and more.

I think there's a fundamental difference there though: Those are games, and hence they're interactive experiences. Even if people have already learned all the story-related and art-related aspects of a game, in order to know what there is to know about a game still requires people to play it. Among the above examples, Terraria is the best case of this; as it is a user-generated content game, the players themselves can create new stuff, and so it continues to provide new content.

With anime, and all other non-interactive works of fiction, you can read what there is to know about its story, and that's pretty much it. Anime in particular is reliant on not knowing what's ahead; once you do, the impact becomes severely diminished.

Another major factor, I feel, is that anime streaming has to compete with illegal means of obtaining anime. Once the illegal means become available and easy to find, the boat has left for that show and its legal means of obtainment. Such a thing doesn't really exist for most other types of fiction. I mean, The Simpsons season sets continue to sell well years after they're released, which are themselves releases of episodes of a TV show many years after they aired.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I find it a little odd that no where in the actual question was it asked why older shows aren't streamed (the question instead being about new seasons of existing franchises), yet both the title of the article and a large part of the answer were about that (unasked) question. Justin did answer the actual question in explaining that there must be something going on behind the scenes preventing a new season of something with an existing fan base from being picked up for streaming. However, since part of the idea of having one question per article was so it would be easier to find answers to specific questions, I thought I should point out that I was surprised about what the actual question was based on the title of this article.

Anyway, I had been thinking of sending in a question to ask why more Gundam shows aren't streaming, which goes with the topic of older shows not being streamed. The most recent shows are streaming, but not much else. I know Justin just explained that there is less interest in things that aren't currently airing, but it seems to me that Gundam would be something where a lot of people would want to go back and watch the parts they've never seen before. Maybe I'm just projecting my own opinion onto other people and there really isn't that much interest.
silentjay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I mean, The Simpsons season sets continue to sell well years after they're released, which are themselves releases of episodes of a TV show many years after they aired.

Apparently they don't, as Fox announced a couple of months back that they won't be releasing any more Simpsons season sets on video.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Both Dog Days'' and Nanoha ViVid appear to have one element in common: Both were Aniplex of Japan series that were not licensed by (or to) Aniplex of America.

CR being able to get Dog Days'' for parts of Asia (where strangely neither of the prior to series were streamed) aside, it seems we can expect the same for any future AoJ series where AoA doesn't pop up with a license announcement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3