• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Not the best of sequels for sure so I agree for the most part with your r review. The first OVA is much better too.

Having said that I cannot help but thinking after reading your review that you have an axe to grind with fans of 90s anime. Not all was that bad back in the day, you know?
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:56 am Reply with quote
I loved this show back when I was, oh, 14 or so. Sadly time has not been kind to it. The last time I tried watching it I had a really hard time listening to the dialogue.
Marzan wrote:
Having said that I cannot help but thinking after reading your review that you have an axe to grind with fans of 90s anime. Not all was that bad back in the day, you know?
There's no reason to take a review personally. He is not criticizing 90s anime fans or even 90s anime. BGC2040 is steeped in a particular aesthetic that existed at a particular point in time (an aesthetic that was not restricted to anime, I might add).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
I find it fitting that this show feels so distinctly '90s nowadays, because watching the original OVA (which I hadn't seen before) on Blu-ray was like seeing the '80s vomit all over my face in high definition. Not that it was bad, mind you.

And this might be one of those cases where people, when confronted with two versions of the same story, tend to prefer the one they had contact with first, but I honestly think BGC Tokyo 2040 had better writing than the OVA. I definitely wouldn't rank it among Chiaki Konaka's or Sadayuki Murai's finest works, but it had an actual ending and romantic relationships that actually went somewhere.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

His favorite anime is Evangelion...

But in the spirit of bad 90s remakes, I think Nick should have to review the Dirty Pair Flash OVAs next!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:

His favorite anime is Evangelion...

So he wouldn't know what 90s fun is? Got it. For the record, I don't hate Evangelion but I'm more impressed by the TV series than entertained by it and if I had to choose between the two, well, I bought BGC 2040 and no version of Evangelion.

I guess liking the show for itself doesn't seem to be an option here- I think of something that is a complete package rather than a series which is a commercial for another medium or a franchise that just needs to do sequel after sequel after reboot after sequel... after sequel, sequel should score some points somehow. Wait, scratch that last one.

Is it any good? By this point, it's just a target for critics to take pot shots at, it's that ingrained. It's an early CGI show, it's an early ADV dub... it's only in the original TV 4:3 ratio? What's that, an issue?

Whatever. B. It's cheese, good with everything.
the green death

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

That's pretty funny! I fear what the ann review will look like in 2020
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
If Crisis was ever updated for today's anime crowd, what things would have to be changed or let go of entirely?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Not the best of sequels for sure so I agree for the most part with your r review. The first OVA is much better too.

I didn't get that at all. He was criticizing the show for being extremely by the numbers for it's time period,along with having terrible writing which makes it even worse.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

Being an enormous fan of a lot of 90s anime, which is when I became a fan, if I thought Nick had some deep personal bias against fans of 90s anime I never would've hired him.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
One thing I would say visiting ANN off and on over the years, is that it sometimes feels like whenever the 90's is brought up, it's in a negative light. Like, if there was a show you disliked from the 90's, people blame it on the 90's aesthetic, the 90's style, etc. etc. But if there's a show that people DO like that's from the 90's, the positive points all belong to the show, and aren't attributed to the 90's era. I wonder if that's a broader sort of thing that happens in entertainment generally.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from the dub, this is a pretty bare-bones collection; no extras, 4:3 presentation, and a simple DVD case.

English mix is 5.1 which is nice. I forget if the new release includes the commentary or not but I guess not.

I thought it was very solid show but prefer the original OVA. At least Tokyo 2040 had a decent dub! The OVA dub is one of the worst...
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
One thing I would say visiting ANN off and on over the years, is that it sometimes feels like whenever the 90's is brought up, it's in a negative light. Like, if there was a show you disliked from the 90's, people blame it on the 90's aesthetic, the 90's style, etc. etc. But if there's a show that people DO like that's from the 90's, the positive points all belong to the show, and aren't attributed to the 90's era. I wonder if that's a broader sort of thing that happens in entertainment generally.

It varies from show to show. A show like Captain Tylor just screams the 90's,but it's done in a charming way IMO,compared to something like Dirty Pair Flash which is generic in everything during that period.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Priss's own songs are sadly the worst of it - her dub voice actress just straight-up can't sing, making them a little wearying to get through.

Considering you know who Priss's English actress is and what other memorable role she's done, it does bring a rather amusing image to mind. XD

Last edited by belvadeer on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
To counter some of the Nostalgia arguments in the eternal debate over which version of the 2 is better, i were exposed to this version 1st, and i can attest to the fact that it suffer from being a bit too 90's in it's execution. While it is decent overal, all the storybeats is lifted from other prominent shows of the era, while not really doing much with them to stand out.

That's what i got that Creamer had a problem with, that there wasn't much to the series if you removed the 90's trappings. Say what you will of the original, but even without it's excessive 80's exces , it still had the designs of kenichi Sonoda, very well put together 80's j-glam rock and some of the best seiyuus lending their voices to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4