• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Fullmetal Alchemist and Concrete Revolutio screenwriter Shou Aikawa

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I loved Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, so this was an awesome interview. The best thing out of it though was....
Shou x Urobichi....
Holy shit, that is gonna be one hell of an anime.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I know so many people who felt lied to when they read the FMA manga after seeing the 2003 anime xD Personally, I loved all 3 adaptions (both anime and the manga). I actually liked the 2003 anime because it was more fantasy and randomness (in the good way) towards the end, where the manga and newer anime were all a conspiracy theory basically that made sense in the end (more or less). Both had their pluses and minuses.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Cool interview, he was very talkative.

Quote:
I think in the original work, many things had an impact on me. The most important thing I thought is that Ed has, as you know, only one leg and one arm, real, and the others are metal. In the case of, for example, on American TV it seems like there's a rule for regular dramas, like there has to be someone in a wheelchair or black people, and in Japan that's not the case.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Let's just hope people who may feel offended get that this comment is more based on ignorance because of being in Japan than mean-spiriteness. Still pretty funny to see this screw-up though Laughing
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This was a very interesting and insightful interview. Also, one of the original writers of Astro Boy is working on the upcoming show? Holy crap, now that's old school.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Aikawa says some interesting things in this interview. It caught my attention when he says that late night anime is the OVA's of today. Justin Sevakis once said that late night anime is like glorified OVA's.

I like how Hope approached the questions on Fullmetal Alchemist, but I was confused and underwhelmed by Aikawa's responses. He is the script writer for the series, but it almost seems like he is not aware of the reasons why the dark aspects and philosophy in the original FMA resonated so much with the audience.
MadHi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, the 2003 anime is the better version in my opinion. I found myself disliking Brotherhood more and more with time and not because of the flaws within it such as the lackluster music and oil-painting backgrounds, but because of its obnoxious and pretentious fans.

Me: I prefer the original series
Brothertard: F*** YOU!!! YOU'RE RETARDED!! BROTHERHOOD IS CLOSER TO THE MANGA!! BROTHERHOOD IS WAY BETTER!! YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FAN! YOU SUCK!!

(I am not exaggerating, people have actually said those things to me when I say I like the original series.)

Me: Jeez! What crawled up your butt and died?

EDIT: On a more serious note, It doesn't matter what FMA did right, hell, what it did better is not even acknowledged (such as Lusts's character development or the overall soundtrack to name a few) solely because it wasn't the mangaka's original story and therefore automatically makes it crap and inferior to FMA Brotherhood no matter what and thus is spit out like yesterday's pork chops by the very same people who once called it one of the best anime ever made.

Is it a major rule in fandom that when multiple versions of something exists, only one must be appreciated and the other has to be labeled as sucky? Kind of sad for a show that was ranked 95 in IGN's Best Animated Series list and won quite a few awards.

Regarding the rest of the interview. I feel Aikawa, like most people being interviewed, was trying to give overly insightful answers but in all honesty, I think they just wrote something and it turned out good, probably in more ways than they intended.

It's like the original Ninja Turtles and Transformers, they were supposed to be mere toy commercials and the writers went into the projects with that in mind, but in the end they've become much more than that.

The OVA discussion on the other hand actually made sense after looking back at the classics after reading this.

Last edited by MadHi on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 7 times in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I agree with Hope's assertion that FMA 2003 is that darker than Brotherhood. I mean, there's probably more blood and widespread genocide in Brotherhood, from the original manga, than in 2003's. There's at least one episode where it's nothing but a flashback of the military gunning down innocent civilians in a massacre.

You might argue that it approaches the material as more of a drama than the manga/Brotherhood, but it's not necessarily edgier or moodier in terms of pure "what can be shown". Edward gets impaled on a large piece of pipe or rebar in Brotherhood and there's tons of the red stuff.

But anyway, despite Aikawa's earlier... uh, less, shall we say, sensitive works (and that weird comment about black people and people in wheel chairs notwithstanding), I really loved FMA 2003 and I think this new show has an interesting concept, so I'll probably check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I liked Brotherhood more than the 2003 version; mostly because of the story adaptation wise where from I remember, 2003's version derived quite a bit after a few episodes.

I'm pretty curious about Concrete Revolutio though. It's Bones' last show on their lineup (at least for this year), is a 2 cour, and from what I've read somewhere inspired by Watchmen or at least some similar mechanics. That being said, I saw the PV earlier this month and had a bit of mixed feelings about it. Who knows though..the story could be appealing so I'm still quite interested in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Let's just hope people who may feel offended get that this comment is more based on ignorance because of being in Japan than mean-spiriteness. Still pretty funny to see this screw-up though Laughing

Yeah, the translator present had a little trouble conveying things on a lot of these answers, I think? Specifically, Aikawa used the english word "political correctness" several times, and the translator conveyed that by mentioning black people and wheelchairs. But I know what I heard, and she could have just said "political correctness," both because it was in clear english and because it would come off more sensitively and accurately than saying "black people and wheelchairs." But I can't really say because I don't speak Japanese and it's not my place to rework anyone's translation, so all we can do is present her translation as we received it. So, sorry about that one. I know they both meant well, at least. This kinda thing happens sometimes.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know if I agree with Hope's assertion that FMA 2003 is that darker than Brotherhood. I mean, there's probably more blood and widespread genocide in Brotherhood, from the original manga, than in 2003's. There's at least one episode where it's nothing but a flashback of the military gunning down innocent civilians in a massacre.

You might argue that it approaches the material as more of a drama than the manga/Brotherhood, but it's not necessarily edgier or moodier in terms of pure "what can be shown". Edward gets impaled on a large piece of pipe or rebar in Brotherhood and there's tons of the red stuff.

But anyway, despite Aikawa's earlier... uh, less, shall we say, sensitive works (and that weird comment about black people and people in wheel chairs notwithstanding), I really loved FMA 2003 and I think this new show has an interesting concept, so I'll probably check it out.

FMA 2003 being darker has nothing to do with the amount of violence or blood. It has more to do with the themes, thematic implications, the resolution of the show and the overall tone and presentation. FMA '03 is a much darker take on the story. As for him not commenting much about this, as another poster mentioned, I think that might just be a quirk in the anime industry of creators just not talking about the meaning of their work, as I believe Zac mentioned on an ANNCast (maybe the KLK one?).
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

FMA 2003 being darker has nothing to do with the amount of violence or blood. It has more to do with the themes, thematic implications, the resolution of the show and the overall tone and presentation. FMA '03 is a much darker take on the story. As for him not commenting much about this, as another poster mentioned, I think that might just be a quirk in the anime industry of creators just not talking about the meaning of their work, as I believe Zac mentioned on an ANNCast (maybe the KLK one?).

While the original 2003 anime is arguably more drawn out with the character drama and less about plot, it's also hard for me to consider it more "dark" in comparison to Brotherhood. As a person who had NOT read the manga before watching both series, I still consider Brotherhood a more gripping and satisfying story for me overall. I much enjoyed the 2003 series back in it's original Adult Swim run; clearly remembering the hype train exploding for the fans (especially around spoiler[Hughes' death ] which was done much better in the 2003 anime in my opinion. The rest was history, as it was a major success for the network and anime in general. However, unlike many others, I was never deeply invested in the series for whatever reasons I couldn't understand. I liked the show, but only as a casual viewer. Even with the ending and CoS, I just considered it a very great anime, but not mind-numbingly brilliant.

The same could be said with Brotherhood when it first premiered, as many people pointed out that the first batch of episodes were just abridged versions of the original with lesser execution. However when I casually viewed the episode where spoiler[it appeared Roy Mustang incinerated Maria Ross for revenge on Hughes' death] I was pretty shocked how dark of a turn that took and found myself wanting more to see what happens next. Afterwards I quickly became a huge fan of Brotherhood and was completely invested in the overall story, especially because of how different it drifted from the original anime.

I went back and re-watched the entirety of FMA 2003 with a very open mind, but I still found myself preferring Brotherhood overall, even with the "true-to-the-manga story view" not being a factor in preference. Comparably speaking, both shows present a dark fantasy element that embodies the human sins theme (quite literally) and both make for dramatic story. It's debatable among fans on which story had the better execution, but one thing was clear for me: They both presented very real drama no matter which version you watched.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
To me it not where which series is better because I enjoyed both. They are just different in how approach what is fundamentally the same story. I really don't have any bias towards one series or the other. If you do then that's all fine.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
i give no credit to Shou Aiakwa, in fact, i didn't know he work on FMA.
FMA = Hiromu Arakawa to me.

Urobichi is different because he wrote his own original stories.

I love how people said FMA 2003 is darker, but gives no example.

"There's at least one episode where it's nothing but a flashback of the military gunning down innocent civilians in a massacre. " How is that darker when the samething happen in Brotherhood? In fact, they sacrifice in the entire country in Brotherhood. Argument at this point is kind of meaningless. The only way to have some professional that never see the anime or read the manga to review and see which version has darker theme. People who read the manga already predetermined that the manga story is darker. People who watched the 2003 version first already predetermined that the first TV series' story is dark.

Either way the 2003 version is incomplete. too many unanswer questions. If you haven't watch Brotherhood, you will never able to answer the following questions:

Why are there Seven deadly sins?
Who are the Seven deadly sins?
Who/what's "father"?
Who/what is ed/al's "father".

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
Indeed, the 2003 anime is the better version in my opinion. I found myself disliking Brotherhood more and more with time and not because of the flaws within it such as the lackluster music and oil-painting backgrounds, but because of its obnoxious and pretentious fans.

Me: I prefer the original series
Brothertard: F*** YOU!!! YOU'RE RETARDED!! BROTHERHOOD IS CLOSER TO THE MANGA!! BROTHERHOOD IS WAY BETTER!! YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FAN! YOU SUCK!!

(I am not exaggerating, people have actually said those things to me when I say I like the original series.)

Me: Jeez! What crawled up your butt and died?

EDIT: On a more serious note, It doesn't matter what FMA did right, hell, what it did better is not even acknowledged (such as Lusts's character development or the overall soundtrack to name a few) solely because it wasn't the mangaka's original story and therefore automatically makes it crap and inferior to FMA Brotherhood no matter what and thus is spit out like yesterday's pork chops by the very same people who once called it one of the best anime ever made.

Is it a major rule in fandom that when multiple versions of something exists, only one must be appreciated and the other has to be labeled as sucky? Kind of sad for a show that was ranked 95 in IGN's Best Animated Series list.

Regarding the rest of the interview. I feel Aikawa, like most people being interviewed, was trying to give overly insightful answers but in all honesty, I think they just wrote something and it turned out good, probably in more ways than they intended.

It's like the original Ninja Turtles and Transformers, they were supposed to be mere toy commercials and the writers went into the projects with that in mind, but in the end they become much more than that.

The OVA discussion on the other hand actually made sense after looking back at the classics after reading this.

Like xXInfinite026Xx said, not everyone who prefers Brotherhood does so because it's more faithful. I watched both in about a week and I enjoyed Brotherhood a lot more. The original is a great series, but the last 5-10 episodes were a lot weaker than the rest IMO and that really dragged it down. Brotherhood had a somewhat weak start since it had to cover almost 30 episodes of content in 13, but after that, I liked just about everything (even the OST) better than FMA 2003. The original manga has nothing to do with it.
Hope wrote:
Many American fans are familiar with infamous or legendary works in the 80s, OVAs in the 80s you were heavily involved in: Urotsukidoji, Angel Cop, Violence Jack. For older anime fans those are classics.

I'm not sure if "classic" is the best way to describe Violence Jack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Why are there Seven deadly sins?
Who are the Seven deadly sins?
Who/what's "father"?
Who/what is ed/al's "father".

Shame on the first series for forgetting some members of the audience need spoon-feeding.

1. I don't know, ask God why he chose 7 personality traits to be sinful. Brotherhood doesn't answer that question either.

2. The homunculi, their personalities or hearts of their creators reflect the sin they carry as their names

3. 'Father' was not in it, so who the hell cares?

4. Their dad is Hohenheim, a guy who lived for few hundred years too many.

Last edited by the-antihero on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3