• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches creator Miki Yoshikawa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, she got started pretty early with her talents! Nice. I've enjoyed reading some of her works including Yankee-kun and it's nice to see that she managed to finish it. Still hoping it will get a TV anime adaptation someday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the interview. I love to read about how stories are created!
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Wow, she got started pretty early with her talents! Nice. I've enjoyed reading some of her works including Yankee-kun and it's nice to see that she managed to finish it. Still hoping it will get a TV anime adaptation someday.

Yeah, me too. I would like to see a Yankee-kun an anime series. While it did get a Live Action Drama, I prefer to see the characters animated.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Early 30s? :.. from the pic i would gove her 20- 25 tops.... and she IS energetic as hell. :3
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Funny, just got volume 3 of Yamada-kun in the mail today. Awesome interview! Also, she does indeed look very young.
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
i always wondered why her artwork felt so familiar to me. not that that's a bad thing of course. i LOVE her and mishima's artwork, it's very distinct.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The drivert told me, 'The only time when there are guys who kiss each other is the Russians.' So now I want to go to Russia and see for myself!
Sadly, this tradition appears to be on its way out with all the anti-LGBT hysteria in Russia. Among my generation of Russians it seems like kissing between two straight guys would only be acceptable if they haven't seen each other in ages and also both happen to be drunk out of their minds at the moment (and even then doing that in public would be frowned upon). Homosocial traditions making way to "traditional values" would have been hilarious if this weren't so tragic for many people.

As for Yamada-kun, I've only seen the anime so far, but I certainly would like to check out the manga, because I really appreciated the humour, the drama and the more-or-less equal opportunity fanservice, and would like to know what was left out of the anime and how the story plays out afterwards.

Edit: grammar.

Last edited by vonPeterhof on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
The drivert told me, 'The only time when there are guys who kiss each other is the Russians.' So now I want to go to Russia and see for myself!
Sadly, this tradition appears to be on its way out with all the anti-LGBT hysteria in Russia. Among my generation of Russians it seems like kissing between two straight guys would only be acceptable if they haven't seen each other in ages and also both happen to be drunk out of their minds at the moment (and even then doing that in public would be frowned upon). Homosocial traditions making way to "traditional values" would have been hilarious if this weren't so tragic for many people.

As for the Yamada-kun, I've only seen the anime so far, but I certainly would like to check out the manga, because I really appreciated the humour, the drama and the more-or-less equal opportunity fanservice, and would like to know what was left out of the anime and how the story plays out afterwards.

This in a country where a certain pop act called t.a.t.u. sold Diamond... My sympathies for Russia. No sympathies for Yelena Mizulina nor ''Bad Vlad'' Putin.

I'm only halfway through Yamada-kun, but I've been loving it. I need to check both mentioned manga, though.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Lots of exclamation marks, lots of laughter... she sounds like a delight. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
A very interesting interview, she sounds like a really cool author. Although it was not always clear to whom the question was addressed, and the switches from either of the editors answers to those of Yoshikawa were also a little confusing.

I also wish the interviewer would've focused a little less on "But you're a girl writing manga for boys!", (like the editor said, there are a lot of successful women in the shonen manga scene: Amano, Hoshino, Ohtaka, Arakawa, Kazue Kato, CLAMP, just off the top of my head), but maybe ask about the harem genre, things like how she decided to make a harem-esque manga and what she thinks distinguishes it from others in the genre
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Great, wide ranging interview with forthcoming creative types. Was a joy to read!

Kind of disappointed that the manga-ka and her editor have no real plan for the future or ending of the series. Planned series always seem better to me.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
This was fun to read, I haven't seen the series but I always appreciate hearing from manga artists and how things are done. Cool
SlightlyBS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
The kissing thing is definitely a thing in Russia but it's more acceptable among more traditional folks, family members and old friends. So don't go to Russia expecting a kiss when they check your passport at the airport.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't say many nice things about mashima as I despise fairy tail, but I'm happy we was able to help get Yoshikawa into the manga business. I haven't had the chance to read her first series but I hope to do so at some point, I do wonder though how she'll manage to keep Yamada fun if she wants it to go past yankee kun as there were several chapters before the current arc where absolutely nothing happened and it was kinda dull so we'll see.
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
A very fun interview, my thanks to all involved!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2