• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - When I Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
EngrishFan wrote:
That aside, kinda find it wierd to see it listed as shelf worthy, what with all the loli aspects of the series
Okay, I admit I'm not that far into the series yet (only seen the first two volumes) but I'm not really buying the "it's lolicon stuff" thing at all. I don't think you're trying to say it's something really horrible, but I really don't see how anyone could confuse this with actual lolicon.

I mean, it's not like Rika and Satoko are flashing their panties or having bathing scenes in each arc. You could read something into some of the subtext but I think you'd be stretching things a wee bit. To paraphrase Frued, "sometimes a knife is just a knife."

Again, maybe I just havn't seen enough, but so far it seems quite tame on that level. (Although the coach talking about Satoko was a little odd sounding.)

Personally, if something like UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie could be licensed, released, and apparently sell fairly well without a rash of "zomg, loli!" then I think When They Cry should be safe. I'd be more concerned about some poor idiot parent, not reading the series description, buying it for their kids. Twisted Evil

tempest wrote:
You'd figure 6 years after 9/11 the TSA would have it's act together, but no, it doesn't.
The sad and sorry truth is, they probably never will. There's too much entrenched idiocy that could only be fixed by a massive purging of employees and too many hoops to jump through to do it for it to happen.

That's why we should all try to keep our own eyes open and ears perked. More often than not, regular folks like us are the ones who tip security off to problems. (Not TSA related, but that's how they stopped that plot to attack Fort Dix.)

Bamboo did get the raw end of the stick though regardless. Some people who work at places like airports virtually live for the chance to make someone's trip a misery, because their own lives are so crappy.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Yay my self made it on there this week : D Coolness thanks bamboo. It's gotten bigger since my birthday just passed so yay Smile

I didn't know I was supposed to write a story with it lol oh well Now the question is...what will I do with all of that when I got to college in a couple of weeks? o.o;;;

Richard J. wrote:

Speaking of collections, Alex Anderson has interesting tastes in books. Anne Rice novels, A Series Of Unfortunate Events novels, and the Princess Diaries series and on the next shelf The DaVinci Code and The Great Gatsby? Very different. (Not to mention a plush Gir in drag. That's just weird.)

Cool collection.

LOL Yeah, I wish I could have put my harry potter in there too but that's too big, and the great gatsby was for school (10th grade...and I just graduated so why haven't I gotten rid of it...) lol Thanks for the compliment. That's 8 years of my life : D (minus all the newtype mags on the other side of my room) I love Dan Brown. I just bought Angels & Demons recently and I've already read Digital Fortress. And who can deny Anne Rice?

Buster Blader 126 wrote:

icepick314 wrote:
and my gawd!! is that Pokemon VHS in the corner???

No, your eyes aren't deceiving you. That's Pokemon: The FIrst Movie on the bottom there.

Yeah that was my friends and she gave it to me o.O But hey, the first one was the best of all of them IMO
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Remi's listed as a rental, but you can't really rent Imaginasian stuff can you?

I was going to bring this up too. Remi or any of Imaginasian's releases have not shown up in Netflix. Honestly, I don't expect they would, given their release strategy. Otherwise, I would check them out. I mean, renting is how I'm deciding what DVD series to buy and series to kick to the curb. At least, for the shows I'm on the fence about.

Then again, I know I'm absolutely NOT buying anything from BVUSA. And yet, I have had all their recent releases in my Netflix queue. Go figure.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
You'd figure 6 years after 9/11 the TSA would have it's act together, but no, it doesn't.
Yeah it's sad, and I agree along with what Richard said as well.

tempest wrote:
No, we had an Answercat prototype plushie stolen. [...snip...]

We still haven't manufactured those.

Answercat thats what it was, I remembered it was some sort of animal, when Babmoo mentioned Alvis's goat thats what I was thinking of.

I guess the prototype's destruction really off-set production. Wink

Aromatic Grass wrote:
This just affirms my purchase of Solid State Society.
Not to mention the Yoko Kanno CD that comes with the LE is not just four or five songs; it's 14, 60 minutes, and quite excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of The Third when it was online. (Or maybe it's still online?) It wasn't bad, but I didn't like it enough to motivate me to buy the DVDs.

I want to see When They Cry out of curiousity. I've heard so much about it being violent, scary, and disturbing, so I'd like to see if it can really scare me. Also, I usually like psychological anime, so if it's like that, I'd probably like it.

I watched the Naruto OAV when it was on Toonami. I didn't think it was horrible, but it certainly wasn't very good either. But yeah, I wouldn't buy it. (I don't plan to buy any Naruto DVDs though. I'll just watch it on TV.)

Ooh, I see a Gir plushie. Gir is spiffy. I like that Kaleido Star poster too. It's pretty.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
LilacShadow wrote:

I want to see When They Cry out of curiousity. I've heard so much about it being violent, scary, and disturbing, so I'd like to see if it can really scare me. Also, I usually like psychological anime, so if it's like that, I'd probably like it.

I'm not sure that "scary" is a good description of When They Cry. Violent? Some of the time, yes, and it can be quite brutal and disturbing at times. Definitely creepy. And, er, what do you mean by "psychological" anime?
roujin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I first watched When The Cry I was really turned off by the art style so much so that I put it on hold for a really long time. I gave it another chance and while it did not exactly rock my world, it proved to be entertaining enough while i watched it that I would recommend it. It was creepy/violent/intense enough to keep me interested though I never finished it. I might pick up the dvd's from where I stopped watching later on.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
I watched Remi when I was about 4-6 years old. I've forgotten about it until I watched Remy - Nobody's Girl. At first I was confused, since both titles are similar. Also, I remember Remy going through the same path as Remi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I watched Remi when I was about 4-6 years old. I've forgotten about it until I watched Remy - Nobody's Girl. At first I was confused, since both titles are similar. Also, I remember Remy going through the same path as Remi.

Both series are based on the same source material. Confused

and even changing the main character to a girl couldn't save it from cancelation and the outrage of the fans of the original series.

Last edited by Vicserr on Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
In defense of The Third, it does get a lot better. Well, at least in my opinion. I think initially that, as was mentioned, a lot of the pieces seem disparate. This is necessary though to establish the setting and the basic "rules" of the world, and as the show progresses everything comes together. Early on it does seem to drag a bit, but once all the characters are presented (culminating with Paifu), things really get going. Probably not a show for everyone, but if you have a bit of patience that is required for certain anime then I think you'll find it worth your time.

Regarding When They Cry, I watched the first eight episodes of the series, or two arcs, and I guess it was decent enough but I just couldn't get into the whole "kids torturing and killing people" thing, personally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Of course not, EngrishFan wasn't suggesting she should have known. But it still warrants mentioning, so people don't think they are getting spoiled at the beginning of each arc every time.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see When They Cry get Shelf Worthy status. The animation and/or art may leave something to be desired at times, but I think the other aspects of the show more than make up for it.

Yeah, that's true. Didn't really think of it like that when I read EngrishFan's post.

*Agrees with your 2nd paragraph*

larinon wrote:
Regarding When They Cry, I watched the first eight episodes of the series, or two arcs, and I guess it was decent enough but I just couldn't get into the whole "kids torturing and killing people" thing, personally.

As I disliked horror before watching Higurashi, I wasn't really into seeing teens/kids killing each other/themselves myself. It was the mystery aspect of the series that got me into it. If you ever decide to go further with the series, you'll find that there's a much bigger mystery hidden within the initial plotline.

(I hope what I just typed made sense. Anime dazed)
Rhesian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:

I guess you better not watch Shadow Star Narutaru. Twisted Evil That series still gives me the creeps.

Actually, I really enjoyed When They Cry. Sure, the animation isn't top-notch and there's a bit of chibi in it which I hate. However, I'll take a well-written, intriguing storyline with so-so animation (i.e.-Kino's Journey, Monster) over amazing animation with a so-so plot (hmm... can't think of one off the top of my head... Last Exile maybe?). Plus the chibi-ness is mostly isolated to the 1st episodes of each arc.

I don't think I'll buy the individual DVDs, but a When They Cry boxset would be a welcome addition to my collection.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
I seen Remi too many times (yeah, the complete series) and I can tell you without spoiling anything that it is the second most depressing anime you will ever see (first being THE GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES) because the story puts the main hero for some though situations and you can stand the pain and the effort to keep going event though everything might seem lost., Im sure you guys haven't reach the best episodes yet.

if you have the stomach to stand the episode of the "forest of the cold wolves" without crying...then you have a heart of stone!

For everyone that feels that Remi is just another title tossed at the fans, I tell you that after 30 years...I still trying to find another series that made me feel what Remi did.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:

love Dan Brown. I just bought Angels & Demons recently and I've already read Digital Fortress.

Angels & Demons rocks so much more than The Da Vinci Code. Just thought I'd mention that...
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:

love Dan Brown. I just bought Angels & Demons recently and I've already read Digital Fortress.

Angels & Demons rocks so much more than The Da Vinci Code. Just thought I'd mention that...

Yeah, my dad and friends have told me the same thing, and so far I agree

((the anime that is currently under discussion I haven't seen...sucks that I can not partake in it...))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3