• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lem

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
@IvoryMoose
the numbers on the sticker there do match the numbers on the back of the case cover that I own (purchased from TRSI).

Are the isbn #'s?:
13: 978-1-60496-067-7
10: 1-60496-087-6

the case mine came in is also clear.

Does it include 6 discs? 25 eps?

Approx. 625 minutes? on Region 1 Discs?

1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen?

Japanese and English 2.0 Audio?

@Ortensia1980

Nice score there! Karin's a pretty fun title. Anju and Boogy 4 eva! lol Very Happy

Finally managed to get all 27 Volumes of Basara in my collection. The amount I paid for Vol 20 could've been spent on at least another 50 new volumes of manga or a dozen Sentai blu-ray titles. Definitely bit the bullet on that one. more joys of fandom!

EDIT - added pics

ivorymoose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
lam: Thank you for your photos. I am referring to SEASON 2 coming in clear case, I am not referring to Season 1 which is indeed in clear case. Is your SEASON 2 also in clear case?

The security strip on my set is not right, I have never seen a Bandai security strip like that before. I kept some security strips on Bandai DVDs (including Anime Legends) I bought and none of them look like that.

My brother did not open the box. There are 8 disks in SEASON 2. I won't accept this set in clear case. If they had shown photos of the box being clear, I would NOT have bought it.

lam, it's really nice to see some owner photos of this set. All Season 1 boxes I've seen are in clear case but Season 2 is in black case. Thanks.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Nice pickup lem. One series I doubt I will ever own, due to the sheer amount of crazy dollars it would take to purchase.

Only recent purchases for me are all 6 BD sets for Gangsta., with volume 1 coming from Amiami, and 2 through 6 coming from HMV. The artwork just for volume 1 alone was enough to convince me to import (I'm in love with Nicolas.. shhhh haha). I'm sure I'll buy Funi's version too, but my need to have them asap won out this time. Plus they have subs, so I can enjoy to my hearts content.

Also preordered If Her Flag Breaks from Rightstuf. I enjoyed that show much more than I had thought, so I want to reward NISA with my hard earned money.

Really should stop buying things until after we move next weekend. Already not looking forward to moving 2500 manga volumes and about 1500 dvds/BDS from once place to another.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
lem: SEASON 2 coming in clear case, I am not referring to Season 1 which is indeed in clear case. Is your SEASON 2 also in clear case?

The security strip on my set is not right, I have never seen a Bandai security strip like that before.

There are 8 disks in SEASON 2. I won't accept this set in clear case. If they had shown photos of the box being clear, I would NOT have bought it.

Thanks.

no prob.

okay let's see umm the pic you posted previously shows the correct numbers for Season One...but they placed it on a Season 2 Box?

So.. Season 2 which is behind Season 1 in the pic above (also from RightStuf!) came in a black Scanavo 8 capacity case with 8 dvds. Total run time, audio, aspect ratio and subtitle options are listed on the case cover as being the same as Season 1.

I'd have to double check the giant mess I've been sorting out in trying to free up shelf space but I'm inclined to say there are probably a couple more Bandai titles I purchased from TRSI that came in clear cases? That said I'd be more concerned about the actual discs , disc artwork, and what options are included and so on. If you need a pic of those to compare that's easy enough to do.

the barcode with ISBN #'s for Season 2 read:

13: 978-1-60496-088-4
10: 1-60496-088-4

6 69198 80426 7

^I usually double/triple check those #'s with ANN's encyclopedia/google/wiki/previous releases, etc., whenever I'm going nuts trying to buy something OOP from a reseller.

@geishageek
Thanks, that's what I thought too but after reading Volume 1 I had to get the rest. If you ever decide to go after it I do have a couple of extra Volumes (free).
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Finally managed to get all 27 Volumes of Basara in my collection. The amount I paid for Vol 20 could've been spent on at least another 50 new volumes of manga or a dozen Sentai blu-ray titles. Definitely bit the bullet on that one. more joys of fandom!

Yeah, I got my volumes 19 and 20 when they were only $50 each, and that was 5 years ago. I can't imagine buying them nowadays. But congrats! Basara is definitely worth owning! I like the feeling of completing an OOP series, even if my wallet does not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
lam Yes, I am talking about SEASON 2, not season 1. Your photos are consistent with other owner photos;

Season 1 - Clear
Season 2 - Black

My Season 2 came in clear box. I want this in Black Box like yours.

The ISBN you provided is the same as on my box.

However, what really struck me was not just the color of the box but also the security strip. Here's a photo of Gundam Seed (Anime Legends) security strip, it was bought 8 years ago when this was first released. Even my recent Bandai DVDs have security strip that is similar to this one. I've not seen a Bandai security strip that looked like the one in my previous photo of Gundam 00 Season 2.

Some of my Bandai titles are in clear cases. My Zeta and Unicorn for example come in clear cases BUT they are NOT in Anime Legends boxsets but they are individually packed DVDs. The covers of these disks that came in clear cases are printed on both sides, they look very pretty. Here's Zeta in clear boxes, cquired 7-8 years ago. Anime Legends for Zeta are in Black Boxes.

I believe Gundam Seed Destiny Anime Legends boxes are clear and not black but I'm not sure because I don't have that series in region 1. Anime Legends boxes had always been black except for a few releases. I believe Gundam 00 SEASON 2 is in BLACK but SEASON 1 is in WHITE.

I am not pursuing any further my attempts to acquire Gundam 00 sets. My DVD updates is completed. I let Setsuna go.
lem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Yeah, I got my volumes 19 and 20 when they were only $50 each, and that was 5 years ago. I can't imagine buying them nowadays. But congrats! Basara is definitely worth owning! I like the feeling of completing an OOP series, even if my wallet does not.

Thanks! Now that I finally have it I'm pretty sure an Omnibus Edition will be forthcoming...
Naturally it''ll all be in a nicer, larger format with some color pages thrown in for good measure...ha. Dreamin' of course, but I'd scoop that up in a heart beat. That or someone will do a Kickstarter for it?

I couldn't picture going after an older title like that getting any worst until I went looking for "Flower of Life" Vol 4. That's just price gouging redefined. Like head shakin', all the while muttering expletives one after another, predatory price gouging. Good grief. Luckily I was able to find one for "only" $89.79.

@IvoryMoose
Nice Zeta set there.

I was only able to get the big box sets for Seed and Destiny. Bought them as singles. Bandai pulled the plug and it was all I could do just to get my hands on the ones that I hadn't seen yet or didn't already have.

They did release Escaflowne, and Towards the Terra as a "Super Legends" and "Anime Legend" set. Both are in clear cases.

As for the security strip thing, I dunno know, they can always be different. Other than being something that can get stuck to the case cover paper, what are they actually good for? I'd rather rely on the numbers and disc features such as subtitle/audio options for verification.

st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Picked up the second Embracing Love omnibus, A Certain Magical Index novel 3, A Silent Voice 2 and Pandora Hearts 19 in town.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
lemThose are real Bandai security strips. They're always thin and nicely printed, the security seal is the transparent part and not the white sticker part. These strips are similar, they differ slightly in print layout but they're not thick white stickers.

I'm returning the Gundam 00 Season 2 box unopened. The seller agreed to a refund although I am prepared to return the box with or without refund. I am not willing to keep the box. It will cause continued grief and distress. The seller still insist that both Seasons 1 and 2 come in clear boxes. That's just not true because owner photos show differently. The security seal on that box really bothers me.

I am giving up on Gundam 00. The Movie Awakening of the Trailblazer just arrived from a private seller on eBay. It's good.

I am ultimately a Universal Century person and with the order of Gundam Turn A parts 1 and 2 from Robert's Anime Corner Store, I'm done with all Gundam updates. Too bad Setsuna got away.

lem Escaflowne Very Happy ........brings back fond memories. I sold my set in the downsizing. Now, I'm only left with Bandai/Sunrise titles, Rurouni Kenshin and the 12 Kingdoms. I'm looking for that 0080 box in your picture. I was also researching on 0083 The Last Blitz of Zeon. That it seems was not released with English Dub. I have the 0083 Stardust Memory.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:

I'm returning the Gundam 00 Season 2 box unopened. The seller agreed to a refund although I am prepared to return the box with or without refund. I am not willing to keep the box. It will cause continued grief and distress. The seller still insist that both Seasons 1 and 2 come in clear boxes. That's just not true because owner photos show differently. The security seal on that box really bothers me.

This is why I no longer sell used copies of Bandai titles; Buyers have no idea how screwed up that company was; I have authentic Galaxy Angel season 1 singles, three in green cases and one in black. My Anime Legend copy of Lucky Star had 5 regular discs and one from the Limited set which was a lacquered picture disk.

They just threw things together and it only got worse past the "Lucky Star" incident.
lem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
Too bad Setsuna got away.

Escaflowne Very Happy ........brings back fond memories. I sold my set in the downsizing. Now, I'm only left with Bandai/Sunrise titles, Rurouni Kenshin and the 12 Kingdoms. I'm looking for that 0080 box in your picture. I was also researching on 0083 The Last Blitz of Zeon. That it seems was not released with English Dub. I have the 0083 Stardust Memory.

Won't make any promises that I can't keep, but I'll check on what I may or may not have as extra for Double - 0 and 0080. Want to say I have another 0080 somewhere. Still sorting a lot of stuff out and placing lots of 6 volumes series into single size cases lately.

RE: Escaflowne
I don't know if you already have region or zone free capability in your viewing set up, but if you're ever going to pick it up again there's supposed to be a blu UK release coming up. End of this year? 2016?

*patiently waiting to pre-order it!*

The 12 Kingdoms (TV):
I see that a part of the blu sets have already become difficult to obtain at a normal price. The dvd version did have several R1 releases though. Besides the singles:
Complete Set - in a thin, mostly orange, not really a box more like a slip cover deal
Two Premium Boxes (fold out style)
Two Part economy box - I don't know any of the particulars for this set.

Rurouni Kenshin:
I only ever picked up the RKDVD Boxes (0582, 0602, & 0610). My intro to the franchise was Reflection, and Trust & Betrayal - which basically spoiled me/ruined my expectations as a new fan completely ignorant of TV, OVA, Movie budgets, source material, production schedules and all that other good stuff.
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Just got Patlabor the movie 1 and 2 in, and the Cowboy Bebop movie on blu-ray. As for the movie, I bought it along with the series last month, but the movie took forever to get here.

Patlabor 1 and 2, I already have the bandai versions. Now you may be thinking I got the blu-ray's since those came out? Nope. I want to get the blu-ray's, but I ended up getting the Manga UK prints. Yeah the picture quality is crap and it doesn't fit the whole screen, but I do love the Manga Dub. I know a good bit of fans don't like it because the script did take liberties with the dialogue, but Peter Marinker is amazing in these films. I also prefer David Jarvis as Asuma.

I will end up triple dipping and getting the films on blu-ray, since it isn't going to cost that much, and I want to own the whole franchise on blu-ray. But I probably will revisit the Manga UK versions the most due to the dub.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 Hello Zalis116, sorry missed your reply the other day. The numbers on the strip and box are correct but don't you think these are easily printed?

lem wrote:

Won't make any promises that I can't keep, but I'll check on what I may or may not have as extra for Double - 0 and 0080. Want to say I have another 0080 somewhere. Still sorting a lot of stuff out and placing lots of 6 volumes series into single size cases lately.

I don't want Gundam 00. I've had enough of it already. Don't want anything to do with that. Confused

I've downsized my DVD collection saving only 3 titles, space is not an issue.

In 1979, I was 13. Gundam 0079 and Unicorn make me shake my head and laugh.There must be a reason why I keep Bandai titles. I buy titles I want to re-watch in retirement, the shelf display must be representative of my life time experience with Anime. Ultimately, I am a Gundam UC person. Noah Bright is 6 years older than me.

I have a full set of Rurouni Kenshin along with the OVAs, OVA directly cuts and the live action films (Blu-Ray). I have both the 12 Kingdom boxes. Part 1 is harder to find than part 2.

I can't wait for Turn A Gundam parts 1 and 2 to arrive!
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
@lem: It was definitely a nice score! And all the sets are in near mint condition which makes it even better.

And I don't know if you have a region free DVD player, ivorymoose, but it may be worth checking if the European Gundam 00 S2 is still available at a reasonable price. I still find Beez sets in stores and ebay at normal prices from time to time so it may be worth a look.

lem wrote:
RE: Escaflowne
I don't know if you already have region or zone free capability in your viewing set up, but if you're ever going to pick it up again there's supposed to be a blu UK release coming up. End of this year? 2016?

*patiently waiting to pre-order it!*

2016. They haven't narrowed it down to an exact date yet, but a while back I asked if Escaflowne was going to have a "nice special edition like the others that they had" and they said that it would, so it'll be well worth the wait Very Happy
lem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
@Ortensia1980 So 2016 it is!

^I think ivorymoose and I misunderstood one another thanks to my highly selective reading comprehension 'skill' and blatant showing off with the pics thing.

Anymore of Gundam 00 is a NO. As in Setsuna no mas.

Re: Karin
I'm too lazy to write about shows I've enjoyed but I did note this dribble about it after my last full viewing
spoiler[ Oct 31 2011 Blood relatives. Ah the ties that bind. And to think of the barriers, imaginary or not, that are put up. Creatures of habit aren't we all? A show with relatively little blood, but nonetheless, one that manages to be bloody good. And to think, I wanted to start with how much this show sucks. It does, but in a good way. Ha! But seriously, it's embarrassing how much I enjoyed all of the characters! Smile What with all the envy, dishonesty, distress, and unhappiness! Karin & Usui may make for a cute couple, but Anju and Boogy certainly do not. Maki's green hair is definitely apropos, and Winner proves to be anything but. Can Ren's affinity for the opposite sex really be taken at face value? Elda may not look like your typical elder, but she most certainly is young at heart. Henry, Carrera, Fumio, and Victor. Parental Guidance may not be required for this show, but it is definitely included Smile. I waffled between rating this Excellent and then only Good, but it's light, romantic comedy, accessible, fun, and the characters are likable. I'm rating it Very Good. Why hasn't this been been picked up again and re-released already?]

@ivorymoose Sorry about that.

The 12 Kingdoms was also made available on blu. I was referring to one of the three blu sets going for high prices now.

I already have part one of Turn A Gundam on my "to watch pile" and I'm looking forward to more of Right Stuf!'s upcoming releases for the franchise but my appreciation of the franchise isn't anywhere near what I have for other titles.

Most recently that special warm fuzzy has been bestowed upon the likes of "Space Brothers" for the characters. As in I couldn't care how the show looks, they could've probably got away with using stick figures for the drawings, I'm liking the characters, their story.

For shows that tickle the visual funny bone lately it's been Soul Eater, and Space Dandy for the sheer beauty of the visuals, use of perspective, color, and all of the dynamic movement of the characters when they're in action. In a word, eye candy. Scrumpdillyishiscious. To me anyway.

It's just that there is so much Gundam, and it's referenced or parodied in quite a few other titles that one can't help but wonder what all the fuss is about and want to have a look see. My introduction to anything Gundam was by way of Excel Saga of all things.

As for what I just bought
The soundtrack for Boys on the Run. From the live action movie based on the comic of the same name. I stumbled upon it while looking for new manga to consume, one of which was "I am a Hero" (another fan of "The Walking Dead" here).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1214 of 1400