• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 7 Companies Invest US$3 Million in Anime Consortium Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I wouldn't even be against this if they could just improve their services (such as their player, ads, as well as just in general a better website layout).
Legendzerox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Daisuki is gonna kill off all the major publishers in the United States. I do not support Daisuki in the least and will torrent the titles it has.
iatheia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Legendzerox wrote:
Daisuki is gonna kill off all the major publishers in the United States. I do not support Daisuki in the least and will torrent the titles it has.

Pretty sure all of the titles it (currently) has are also available on CR. If you want to support North American companies, use them instead.
traveling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Legendzerox wrote:

Pretty sure all of the titles it (currently) has are also available on CR. If you want to support North American companies, use them instead.

Cinderella Girls and God Eater are definitely Daisuke exclusives.
FredMaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Well as much as I hate Daisuki for their video player(but still forcing myself to use it), I kinda like Daisuki for streaming animes here in Asia which other legal sites didn't even bother doing it which is a plus just to show my support for once(since I tend to download animes on other sites for years) on their anime titles and the anime industry itself.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Legendzerox wrote:

That's not going to happen any more than Funimation's streaming service is going to kill off Crunchyroll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Unless Daisuke gets a bunch of exclusives that Cruncyroll or Funitmation can't get and they better be mega hits and or popular shows they are just taking investor money and flushing it down the toilet.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I knew the big play by ACJ Daisuki was coming and looks like it's in full swing this month with more companies expressing confidence in it. People thought they were rid of Bandai Visual a few years ago ($70 dollars for one volume of Diebuster....ugh) but it looks like they're coming back with a vengeance in the form of streaming and have their ambitions set on trying to corner the American market. ACJ packs a ton of firepower in terms of popular licenses and funding between all those companies, as the next couple years wear on I expect they'll be stepping up these sorts of moves more and more with the acquisition of sites like MAL being just a first step.

Dfens wrote:
Unless Daisuke gets a bunch of exclusives that Cruncyroll or Funitmation can't get and they better be mega hits and or popular shows they are just taking investor money and flushing it down the toilet.

Look at the kind of titles that the people involved in ACJ have copyright over. For now Crunchyroll is still getting access to at least Aniplex titles, but I expect that to change soon enough. The next obvious business move would be starting to make all of the titles that the ACJ companies control Daisuki exclusive. We're talking things like Gundam, iDOLM@STER, Love Live, Madoka, Monogatari, Kuroke, Saint Seiya, Fate, SAO and soon to be more no doubt. Between Bandai and Aniplex alone that's most of the popular titles you can expect to be released in any given season.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This is all well and good, but much of these moves haven't translated into the site being any greater a destination or little more than a Sony/Aniplex repository with a few non-related titles than any other. Kadokawa has two titles there, but so have others in the past and they barely give it lip service now. I'm not getting too worked about it either way. I wish they had an app for consoles, though spoiler[(and that Kadokawa Pictures USA was still around. Good while it lasted, but that's another topic…)]

traveling wrote:
iatheia wrote:
Legendzerox wrote:

Cinderella Girls and God Eater are definitely Daisuke exclusives.

"Exclusive", yes, but they are also putting them on Hulu, as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with Daisuki is that they don't currently have a Roku app. Fix that, and I won't have any problem supporting them.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Legendzerox wrote:

How exactly will Daisuki streaming shows kill off US publishers?

Clearly there's no resentment on the US end, Viz Media has partnered with Daisuki to co-license One-Punch Man in most of the world, and Daisuki's stream of Buddy Complex (in the UK at least) is clearly just an edited rip of the FUNimation stream.

Outside the US, Aniplex of America are still managing to sell the rights to shows simulcast on Daisuki in 1080p, as they are those simulcast on Crunchyroll.

At least Daisuki has the good grace to stream all of it's exclusives in as many countries as possible, unlike a certain major US publisher, *cough* FUNimation *cough*, who has a habit of buying exclusive simulcast rights for countries outside of North America and then not making the shows available there...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Daisuki doesn't target just US. they target the world. Why would they want to kill of US companies?

Cinderella Girls is in Youtube. I know because i watch them all in roku with the youtube app.
if you want mad at company put their stuffs free in youtube, then you are the worst kind of people who rather support private stream.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when I'd hear about this again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1