• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Macross Creator Kawamori Talks Designing Plane for Thunderbirds Remake

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching this over 21 years ago on Fox Kids. I also remember seeing the '04 movie that had a younger Vanessa Hudgens.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
There's also a Kickstarter project to create three episodes that were audio-only in the first series using the same tech as back then, Thunderbirds 1965.

I've enjoyed Thunderbirds Are Go so far, but it's kinda sad that the sets (which are live-action, only the vehicles and people are CGI) look less realistic than the original series of 50 years ago. How can it be 50 years and real-world sets look less realistic after all that time? I shake my head at that.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
Original series theme song in Japanese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rbLbdsgRgk
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:18 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
There's also a Kickstarter project to create three episodes that were audio-only in the first series using the same tech as back then, Thunderbirds 1965.

I'm surprised they didn't mention it here.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:

I've enjoyed Thunderbirds Are Go so far, but it's kinda sad that the sets (which are live-action, only the vehicles and people are CGI) look less realistic than the original series of 50 years ago. How can it be 50 years and real-world sets look less realistic after all that time? I shake my head at that.

My biggest complaint for this remake is how watered down and kid friendly this new series is. The old one although a show for kids had a little bit of violence (god guys versus bad ones). Give me the old Thunderbirds, and all the other supermarionation shows. British creativity at its best. And what no nuclear energy at all ? The classic show was much more forward thinking than this one.

Quote:

Original series theme song in Japanese:

https://www.youtube.com/​watch?​v=​-​rbLbdsgRgk

Blasphemy. The Japanese should be drawn and quartered for having mutilated the great original english theme. Evil or Very Mad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor, I am assuming that you are doing sarcasm there since that's the same mentality that many people have when the situation is reverse.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
I was very impressed with this exhibition:

http://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/en/spexhibition/thunderbirds/

The props for the island, all the main thunderbirds craft and puppets were on display, they also showed a video of the making of the original series.
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I Thought the Shadow looked familiar, I'm going to have to get a model of that now >.<

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Melicans wrote:

My biggest complaint for this remake is how watered down and kid friendly this new series is. The old one although a show for kids had a little bit of violence (god guys versus bad ones). Give me the old Thunderbirds, and all the other supermarionation shows. British creativity at its best. And what no nuclear energy at all ? The classic show was much more forward thinking than this one.

Thunderbirds are Go! is based from the point of our modern climate, Nuclear is no-longer an option as they have found better methods of collecting energy (which also that solar array in ep 2 is from the original series), Earth has spread out in their quest for resources and there's still new frontiers to explore.

I think you have the nostalgia goggles on a little too hard, check out Fireflash in the new series compared to Trapped in the Sky from 1965. The plot is still pretty close with some nice twists for fans who reckon they can predict the ending and the pacing is far more modern. The comparison of those two episodes really shows how entertainment has changed in fifty years! Hell the only thing that hasn't changed is Parker's voice actor (He's still got it!) Wink

Sure, I would like more Kayo in stories, a little more serial plot and for them to be able to master applying 3D models over well lit environments (see sequence on aforementioned solar array) but it's a fun all-ages TV series with better developed characters and I can't wait for the next set of episodes.
LostCause126

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
It's just a shame we never actually saw the Shadow in action in the series.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
Terrahawks was originally going to be an anime (elements of which ended up in Mospeada) and Technovoyager was such an obvious homage to Thunderbirds that it was sold overseas as Thunderbirds 2086 (I have a VHS tape of that somewhere). And, of course, the ill-fated Firestorm...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this series was popular among Japanese viewers. I've never seen it this series but I know people who grew up on the Gerry Anderson shows. But this should be interesting. Funny thing is I've seen a few shows of this nature done by Japanese studios.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder if this series was popular among Japanese viewers. I've never seen it this series but I know people who grew up on the Gerry Anderson shows. But this should be interesting. Funny thing is I've seen a few shows of this nature done by Japanese studios.

Based on the popularity of the exhibition that I saw at the Miraikan, the Japanese wikipedia article, and the fact that the web site: http://www.tbjapan.com/ is still maintained, I'd say that it was fairly successful in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1