• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oceanus: person or company? (Gargantia)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
anime#14961

Oceanus (オケアノス) is credited as the creator (gensaku) of Gargantia (Urobuchi and Murata are credited as gen'an). Should this be credited as a person, or a company?

Ref:
http://gargantia.jp/#introduce_staff
animenewsnetwork.com/anime-spotlight/2013/spring/gargantia

Not the first time I've come across such ambiguous entities (e.g. Striker Unit)

As something related I've been meaning to bring up for some time, in regards to production committees (e.g. "Name of show production committee", "Name of fake organisation featured in the show" and "Made up school name student council" etc.) which only exist within a particular show or franchise, I feel they should be omitted entirely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
anime#14961

Oceanus (オケアノス) is credited as the creator (gensaku) of Gargantia (Urobuchi and Murata are credited as gen'an). Should this be credited as a person, or a company?

I'd say let's find out the members and/or components of this "Oceanus" first. Being the name of the flagship of Gargantia convoy, it probably also served as the code name of core production staffs.

In my personal opinion I'd say a company entry should be reserved for any organization that could be legally registered i.e. juridical persons, not for natural person(s).

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Not the first time I've come across such ambiguous entities (e.g. Striker Unit)

I was thinking of Be-Papas; fortunately we have names of all its members.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
As something related I've been meaning to bring up for some time, in regards to production committees (e.g. "Name of show production committee", "Name of fake organisation featured in the show" and "Made up school name student council" etc.) which only exist within a particular show or franchise, I feel they should be omitted entirely.

Ditto, but under the current system it is impossible to prevent users adding production committees as new companies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1