• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: .hack//Roots DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
wouldnt say that. for one thing, you'll definitely need to pay attention to the storyline at least(though its dull as a doornail) cause it does solve some lingering questions when it came to sign and legend of the twilight. and its the best bet for those that arent too keen on playing the games or watching those animated clips from the GU games or watching the GU OVAs and movies which are the weaker of the franchise.

sure its pales in comparison to SAO and log horizon,and its inferior to sign, but its still decent enough , sticks to what made sign great even though they didn't do a good job at it.but at least its not a fanservice fest like legend (which i liked a lot however).

and its a hell of a lot better than no game,no life which is downright atrocious.

Last edited by jr240483 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
I love this anime! No matter what anyone says! Haseo and Shino are still my favorite couple in games and anime. Seeing this expanded in the series was very nice.

But wait

What are you talking about Kajiura writing the music? The soundtracks are by Ali Project. Those are two COMPLETELY different people/bands.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...the dub has the quality of a radio show or audiobook – you can almost just listen to it and not watch the show without missing much.

For some reason, I see this as a positive Laughing

And yeah, I'm pretty sure ALI PROJECT worked on this show, not Yuki Kajiura. Besides that, I've always liked the soundtrack for this show. If anything, you could JUST GET THE SOUNDTRACK and not watch the show Razz
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Yuki Kajiura was definitely listed in the episode credits, but you're right, she's not in the encyclopedia entries. In any event, the song "Silly Junction" (opening theme) was her; it's FictionJunction Yuuka, which is Kajiura's band.

@Raebo101

I almost listed the radio show thing as a plus. Wink But then I thought, I watch anime to, well, watch something, so I'd like that part to interesting too.

Maybe I just came to this show too late...
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
If i remember correctly the .hack//roots touches upon that spoiler[Haseo was Sora from .hack//sign who became an amnesiac when Sora fought the boss in the near end episodes where after that went into a coma, Which i think you free him in the events of the PS1/PS2(?) game where you play as Kite and BlackRose].

Either way, the .hack anime serves as an addition to the original games.

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene

What do you think of FictionJunction Yuuka's "Silly Junction" song?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
NormanS wrote:
-snip-

spoiler[ It doesn't actually. That was technically Terminal Disk that came with the first game came with. It's never outright stated, just HEAVILY implied. There's also the confrontation at the end of V3: Redemption between Haseo and Skeith, with Skeith having a much more Sora-like demeanor.]

You get hints here and there but the only major connection between the two is Skeith.

I'd spoiler it just in case.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
@Princess_Irene

What do you think of FictionJunction Yuuka's "Silly Junction" song?

That song I really liked, as well as the sort of funky Joplin-style music when the Twilight Brigade was in the guild hall. I found the Ali Project insert songs got a bit overwhelming, though.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
@Princess_Irene

Well, it's Ali Project. Whatcha gonna do Wink
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
You'd have to play the three .hack//G.U games that come after the series to get the full story.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
You'd have to play the three .hack//G.U games that come after the series to get the full story.

Pretty much, I love .hack// but almost every anime they made was sub par to the manga, novels, or games. Wish A.I. Buster had been made into an anime...

Either way the franchise is pretty much dead. Don't know why Funimation bothered license rescuing the titles to a franchise where the 3rd and 4th parts (.hack//Link and 4th Era) were never released.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
@Ovan~the~Rebirth

"...The franchise is pretty much dead."

Yeah, and that makes me sad. The last .hack thing released was that .hack movie, right? And that never even made it overseas. Dispite the comment I made above about just getting the soundtrack to Roots and not watching the show, I used to be the biggest fan of franchise. I remember when .hack came on WAY after midnight on Cartoon Network. I happened upon it one night, started watching it, and since then, I've collected almost every .hack merchandise released here.

I suppose the days of .hack are over now. Don't worry though; now we've got SWORD ART ONLINE!

sigh
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I suppose the days of .hack are over now. Don't worry though; now we've got SWORD ART ONLINE!

Yeah, thank god. Finally we can have a stuck in an mmo series that doesn't take an anime and multiple games just to cover a single plot line.

I loved .hack back in the day, but holy crap does the story move at a snail's pace. At least for the two major ones anyway.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
@Ovan~the~Rebirth

sigh

I almost didn't see that "sigh" and thought you were being serious. LOL
I'm no SAO fan either, not in the slightest.

@SilverTalon01: I think you missed the "sigh" of Raebo101's comment.

Who knows maybe CyberConnect2 has a surprise up their sleeve. I'd love a remaster of all 7 (or 8 if you include Link) games as a mega PS4 game! Ha that's a far fetch dream. Oh well... .hack// was my gateway into anime and it'll always have a special meaning to me.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
The one Yuki Kajiura composition in .hack//Roots is "Silly-go-round"

A sample of it from Flying Dog's Youtube channel is at https://youtu.be/H_JjaZ51_no?t=322

Besides .hack//Roots soundtrack material, it also appears on:

FictionJunction YUUKA – Circus: Track 3
FictionJunction YUUKA – Yuki Kajiura LIVE vol. #4 PART 1: Track 3
Yuki Kajiura LIVE vol.#11 FictionJunction YUUKA 2days Special 2014.2.8-9 中野サンプラザ: Disc 1 Track 17, Disc 2 Track 3 (as seen on the clip above)

Sadly I missed those live shows but have them on blu-ray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2