• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ultimate Otaku Teacher - episodes 1-12

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
A very nice review, though i feel bad that you felt the need to qualify so many of your statements. I want to say that you should say what you really feel without fear, but given what I've seen some comment sections devolve into, i can't blame you. Razz

Don't think i'll be checking this show out, but thanks for the quality analysis Smile
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they might at least fix the cringe-worthy mispronunciation of "yukata" at the beginning of the first 12 episodes. I cringe every time I hear it.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
This is definitely one of the weaker broadcast dubs, because most of the broadcast dubs I've seen (I haven't seen them all) have actually been pretty good. Maybe FUNi didn't feel like putting their best effort into a weak show?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
I dropped this show after the third or fourth episode, but I didn't exactly hate what I saw. I remember being put off by the poor production values, and I didn't find any of the characters particularly original. However, in fairness, I probably stopped watching before the majority of the supporting cast was introduced.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
I salute you as you made it though more of this than I could. Also, I kind of feel sorry that you had to. I know, it's a job and all but it's not even good to look at.

My first thought: "It's just like GTO only it's not very good."

My next thought, after the early series reset with a new school for some reason: "Hey, this reset is just like how GTO changed after its first two episodes, only it's not really good at all."

My third and final thought: "This is not at all like GTO because GTO was good!"

The main character in this series doesn't want anything, let alone be a decent teacher, human being or interesting. But when the plot/character issue that needs remedying boils to the surface, suddenly and I do mean suddenly, he's the bestest teacher in the world... just so he can go back to doing whatever nothing he wants to do the next day/episode

Some series such as this season's Gate use "Our main hero is also an otaku" characters to pull in an audience but UOT decided to go the "Our main character only wants to be an otaku" route with more than a little hint of "but look at what he can manage when he tries!". To me, it comes off as not so much pandering to its probable audience but outright insulting them.

But my main complaint with the series is that while this kind of character can work as a scientist, detective or writer, insular kind of jobs to be sure, this does not work as a teacher; The best teachers want to interact with their students, they don't just become the ultimate teacher to get it over with as quickly as possible so they can get back to their hobby sooner.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
I found most of the characters to be very, very annoying , especially the mc, since I am a decent fan of gto and genshiken I also found the whole problem solving part really bad at least in gto onizuka has to put up with the consequences of the horrible things he does to some of his students.

artistry, direction, etc... are realyl bad, and the show somehow becomes worse if you consider the mc being a self insert for the otaku viewing this; but to say something possitive, unlike gto or genshiken this one goes for relatively more modern problems, while those two shows feel like they are stuck in the 90s, though ass class also goes for some modern problems.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there an AKB48 member in this anime? I heard her voice acting was very bad.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm with the majority on here on the review. I ventured into watching this and couldn't stand but 4-5 episodes of this and realized it really wasn't worth my time to watch anymore because it felt sooooooo bland and the characters as a whole were'nt what I was expecting them to be. Normally I wouldn't drop a show (and i mean ANY show no matter how bad) but recently as of this year shows that I had on the back burner and tried to finish I realized that the majority of them wasn't going nowhere. So for me to drop this feels weird but right if it makes any sense.
I don't regret not looking back at it again.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I salute you as you made it though more of this than I could. Also, I kind of feel sorry that you had to. I know, it's a job and all but it's not even good to look at.

Actually I volunteered for it because I was curious about the series (for reasons that should be clear from the review) but it wasn't a high enough priority for me to watch week-to-week.

I have not kept up with this season's episodes (i.e., the ones after 12) and probably won't bother unless someone says that they are significantly better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much of an eye when it comes to visual quality in anime, but even I find myself noticing that this is not a visually impressive show when I watch the broadcast dubs. There have to be some serious shortcomings in this department in order for it to really register with me.

I haven't noticed any major issues when it comes to the broadcast dubs for most shows as they seem to be on par with most Funi releases, but there are definitely some in this show that come off as bland to me. I don't think there were any that jumped out as outright bad, but there were definitely some that would benefit from injecting a bit more personality into it.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
as much as I like the series I can't deny it's faults, when reading the manga I breezed through it laughing at hoe hilarious it was, with the anime I've not choice but to slow down and let some of the facts about some of the characters settle during the slower moments of the series and I must say, junichiro is a real @ss. His teaching motivations and attitude really make me want to jump into the TV and take that bat from his sister and smack him sometimes. But thankfully that's the only gripe I have with it, the characters are funny, I especially like cyborg and that girl from his previous school interacting.

I'd say the best way to get the most entertainment our of this is to take nothing seriously and just enjoy the ride. As enigma from DOTA reporter would say "you're just going to have to accept this and move on." because once you do its quite entertaining, his little sister threating to smack him with the bat is my favourite scenes since he really does deserve it(even if he doesn't at the tine) .
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
you know, the series would be better if hsi sister succeeded at hitting him with the abd more often.

while this series is not a drop for me (the onyl anime I have really dropped is virus buster serge), it's come pretty clsoe to that, i.e. putting it in the backburner, tho sometimes I get in the mood to watch something bad and will watch 3 or so episodes.

Key wrote:

I have not kept up with this season's episodes (i.e., the ones after 12) and probably won't bother unless someone says that they are significantly better.

they are significantly worse.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
This is definitely one of the weaker broadcast dubs, because most of the broadcast dubs I've seen (I haven't seen them all) have actually been pretty good. Maybe FUNi didn't feel like putting their best effort into a weak show?

Kyle Phillips is the ARD director on this one, I believe it's his first time directing, and he did an AMA a few weeks back on Reddit and explained some of his casting choices.

he acknowledged that he knows the show (Not the dub just the show) isn't well liked by the anime community so he decided since it was a weaker show he'd try using some new faces who have less experience. which is why the show seems a little weaker compared to the other broadcast dubs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Animedubs/comments/3ccee5/ama_with_kyle_phillips_director_adr_enginer_voice/

He also answered the eternal riddle of the relationship between Coleen and Bonny Clinkenbeard
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think a lot of people on here, maybe including the reviewer don't like the MC because he reminds them of themselves, except since he is a genius, he can solve his problems and go back to being lazy.

I don't understand why he needs to have some goals, he is basically a regular guy and wants to do what he wants, but him being one of the smartest people on the planet usually leads to someone forcing him to do something. So of course he puts in the minimal effort.

But I don't see how he is worse than say Saekano's protgonist. All the guy does is use his plot armor that somehow makes unreachable girls to fall for him, to get them to do everything for him, and then call it his work. Yet that got stellar reviews.

That is just one example but there are plenty of character like the MC and they get no where near the hate he does. Oh because he was forced into being a teacher he should somehow be the ex yankee GTO or Gokusen, who where people who actually wanted to teach, eventually.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I honestly think a lot of people on here, maybe including the reviewer don't like the MC because he reminds them of themselves, except since he is a genius, he can solve his problems and go back to being lazy.

I don't understand why he needs to have some goals, he is basically a regular guy and wants to do what he wants, but him being one of the smartest people on the planet usually leads to someone forcing him to do something. So of course he puts in the minimal effort.

But I don't see how he is worse than say Saekano's protgonist. All the guy does is use his plot armor that somehow makes unreachable girls to fall for him, to get them to do everything for him, and then call it his work. Yet that got stellar reviews.

That is just one example but there are plenty of character like the MC and they get no where near the hate he does. Oh because he was forced into being a teacher he should somehow be the ex yankee GTO or Gokusen, who where people who actually wanted to teach, eventually.

People who don't want anything aren't compelling to follow. A story is a series of transformative actions. If the story doesn't bear any kind of weight on the life of the protagonist, then what weight does it bear for us? What kind of impact is the story leaving on us? What is it going to leave us with when it's over? Why are we watching it, if it doesn't promise real heft? Ideally, a character's 'want' should give way to 'need'; that's the way character development works. But if the protagonist just wants to be lazy from the word 'go', then we're not promised anything by following him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3