• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation TV Ranking, August 10-16 [2015-08-20]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbirds are go being right on the same list as My Love Story on a television ranking had me bursting out laughing. Sometimes reality is funny.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
My Love Story doing better than Denpa Kyoushi despite airing at 1.30 am when the latter airs at 5.30 pm. Laughing
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Fans are watching Super mainly for what screw up happens next.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Really impressive for a show airing at 1:30 AM to make the top 10.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Always surprised by how well British animation does in Japan. I don't know why, but I wouldn't have expect eithered Shaun the Sheep or Thunderbirds are Go to do well...

Be interesting to see how the second part of Thunderbirds are Go does. Weirdly, despite premièring as a single hour long episode in the UK, it seems to have been split into two half hour episodes ever since.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:

Always surprised by how well British animation does in Japan. I don't know why, but I wouldn't have expect eithered Shaun the Sheep or Thunderbirds are Go to do well...

Japanese looking for children shows that won't be co-opted by otaku? Laughing
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
The original Thunderbirds series is a massive pop culture touchstone in Japan, its popularity is probably on the level with something like Star Trek in the west. It also inspired Go Nagai to create the super robot genre (all those combining machines and long launch sequences are straight out of Thunderbirds), so it had a profound influence on the history of anime and manga as well. Little wonder that the new series proves to be popular in Japan.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
The original Thunderbirds series is a massive pop culture touchstone in Japan, its popularity is probably on the level with something like Star Trek in the west. It also inspired Go Nagai to create the super robot genre (all those combining machines and long launch sequences are straight out of Thunderbirds), so it had a profound influence on the history of anime and manga as well. Little wonder that the new series proves to be popular in Japan.

It's aired one episode, so I'm not sure you can call it a success straight away, and I don't know if it'll continue to do well, because the reboot is effectively a children's show.

It still surprises me Thunderbirds is on a similar level to Star Trek, it's even close to that level in the UK...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
It's pretty amazing that My Love Story made it in the Top 10 despite airing only during the late night. Smile
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many more years will it take get Thunderbirds Go to North America. It's been in Britian for this year, it's just release in Japan now, is North American market that bad for them they can't make deal with a Network?

Irony is that from sample shows i've seen, they appear to have used American voice actors! Surprised
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I wonder how many more years will it take get Thunderbirds Go to North America. It's been in Britian for this year, it's just release in Japan now, is North American market that bad for them they can't make deal with a Network?

Irony is that from sample shows i've seen, they appear to have used American voice actors! Surprised

Thunderbirds isn't a big deal in NA, chances are no network wants it. It is effectively a children's show, and is being treated as such, so that might be putting some networks off. However, ITV clearly believes in it (it's already been picked up for 2x26 episode series - which is unheard for a British show), so it'll probably get brought as cheap filler at some point.

If you have a PAL-compatible region free DVD player, the first 13 episodes are out now, fairly cheaply in the UK. No bonus features though.

The main cast are all English, regardless of how American they sound...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1