• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ultimate Otaku Teacher (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
So far they are handling Luce ok. Is she going to end up being called Koutaro? The rpg thing really wasn`t the best idea for the show as it really sets a different tone. At least we likely won`t get much more of it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

This arc is lasting a bit longer than I had thought with the MMORPG gimmick, trap, and comedy. I'm hoping it will end soon tbh as I'm ready to meet new characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
How people pick up girls in anime:
Step 1: See a pretty girl.
Step 2: Grab her, ask if she wants to hang out with you.
Step 3: Have your wingmen show up and block of the girl's exits.
Step 4: Tell her something sketchy like it take long or something to that effect.
Step 5: ?
Step 6: profit!
Make sure to get violent and forceful if some other guy shows up, because chicks love that.

And we saw that happen like twice in this episode, not counting seeing the group getting off on harassing a cross dresser. It has to be like the laziest way to build tension and make a character look like a hero. And ironically it almost always has to be solved with the hero resorting to violence despite it being totally hypocritical, I think that I can recall at least one show where the one trying to save the damsel got beat up themselves because of course they would against 3 people.

In general I like this guy in girl storyline, but I don't know if I should refer to Luce as a "he" or a "her". Does he just like to wear the clothes and is comfortable to still say he is male? Or is she more along the line of transgender?

Also it has been bugging me that the one guy's game armour looks like Silver Knight.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Those pick up situations do happen though usually not as forceful. Plenty of people are rather agressive when wanting to convince you to spend time with them. Especially for someone who doesn`t go out much these situations are difficult. Met so many guys I would have loved to punch.

Grr English ruining the fact that there was rarely a gender determiner throughout the whole episode (usually by Araki). I`d say for now you would be fine calling Araki a he since the form of I (boku) is a rather exclusively male one (girls sometimes use it, but it is supposed to be a formal male word). Also he is fine with kun which is more masculine than san, but yet again not so strictly gender based anymore.

Still, transvestites (people who sometimes dress or pose as the opposite gender but not always) often enjoy being referred to as the gender they are portraying. If Araki were an actual person you would normally get a smile calling Araki a she when wearing womens clothes (though it would be an issue if not wearing womens clothes).

This episode was so amazingly well handled compared to most episodes and I was wondering what happened. Seems the controversial action is saved for next episode when Kagami forces Araki into an awkward situation. For a moment I thought the show might handle something in a nice way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:

I'm glad they gave a closure to this arc with the fantasy and RPG themes. For me, it just felt a bit longer than I thought it would be. Luce in the end manages to climb out of his shell thanks to Kagami's risky efforts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Sure everything ended up happy, but that ignores the fact that he essentially just bullied his student. Through his role as a teacher he found out the truth, and then used that knowledge to essentially pressure them, which might almost be counted as blackmailing. He could not have been sure that the whole class would have instantly accepted their classmate is trans. Trans does seem to be it since he called people seeing a female avatar as seeing the real him/her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14

So, extortion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

Some nice little details that do make me think well in terms of the Halo game series. But....
*screams*
Other parts actually felt so wrong they were insulting. A month before release. That is just one month before release. Sure some games are still incredibly buggy even on release, but follow FPS and especially Halo and you would know that multiplayer is one of the core things they have worked out well before release, I think multiplayer for the next instalment had been put into press hands on playing like over a year before its release. To imply that the core aspect would be so buggy, that it could be messed with someone who just got hold of it by acting like a noob, it is simply insulting that such play testing was not done. He probably would have just been as likely for his character to have flat out died, the out of bounds areas usually actually put things that kill players if they stray too far.

And why would Halo use arcade controls? What I can also say would be controls from such a franchise tend to differ between iterations, and you would probably do much better researching changes. Halo does not use NPCs, and high level skill in such games comes down more than just being super good, it involves a huge knowledge of levels. Weapon placements, evolving high end playstyles, weapon stats and ability choices that have different strengths and weaknesses against each other, etc.

"Games are for mastering, not competition." And for the guy actually to look like he thinks that it is a good lesson! It pisses on the entire e-Sports that is already struggling to get recognition despite a growing international community. No harm was probably met, but this was not good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 16:

She's cute for a ghost.

I was actually entertained this week since it had some decent humor rather than going totally serious like some of the previous episodes. Hoping to see Matome return in the future.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

This was horrible, actually I have not been much of a fan in the first place. First was the sad implication that the teacher needed to bring in the card to show off to the only people he could, although rather than taken off him for the day he should have got it back. Next was using the trust and power he has as a teacher to pretty much do petty revenge, very unbecoming for his position. And lastly he was him encouraging a kid to have to win back the card instead of solving this as the fact it was not the kid's in the first place. Supposedly it was teaching a gamer pride, but that was more of teaching a gambling problem.

For a show that is supposed to be about teaching lessons to people, Junichiro is a really bad role model. His personality often feels like shallow otaku things, his plans seem at huge risk of failure that only works because the show demands it, and characterisation seems to be all over the place. Like look at the ghost episode, usually he seems incredibly happy to meet any situation that is like from a manga, but when seeing the ghosts he gets angry saying ghosts only should be in manga. Why did the bully kid suddenly decide to want to give the card back because the other one keeps wanting to play against him?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

I think the show reached the twins arc now with the idol and street girl. And this one got more complicated as the two are nothing alike in terms of their personalities. Hope Kagami can handle the pressure of helping them.

Because right now, it looks like the idol is going to quite her job...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
And why would people who know him would think he would care about forcing kids to go to school? Hasn't he made it pretty clear that he himself wanted to speed through education just so he could do what he wanted? So far he got kids to go to his class because it was a responsibility of being their teacher, to some other kids who say they get more out of doing things other than going to a school it makes sense that he would support them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

I wonder if they will include the songs in an upcoming CD. Twin arc almost concluding but it looks like a kidnapping near the end. Yikes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

So he got an underage girl, whose job would be absolutely ruined if she was spotted alone with some strange man, and got her appear at some sort of abandoned warehouse. Got her to get changed in the middle of a warehouse into skimpy clothes while he is apparently just turning his back to her, later finding that a crowd of people would have easily been able to see her by just sliding a door, and that there actually was a changing room nearby. And also the place really is not safe as a bunch of thugs have been able to kidnap her.

Who was running that event? Was it any sort of place to make a teenage girl go to?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Mm, so the Twins Arc is over pretty much with this episode. And also, Taki showed her toughness and will power to protect her sister. Other than that, the episode was too silly to take seriously with the Power Rangers gags imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4