• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I just started Sunday Without God, mostly because I found it at the library.
What I had read about the show left me with some doubts about it being right for me, but since I just finished what I had been watching and Sunday Without God was sitting there I decided to give it a try.

After two episodes I am still undecided, but feeling more positive than negative.
Ai, the main character, has definite moe potential, even more so than the typical 12 year old anime girl, which is a positive factor. But her situation has the potential for great tragedy, which would be negative.
The main male character is not very likable, but I get the impression that he is trying to be unlikable.
The story in general is not making much sense to me, but it has me interested enough to stay with it for a while to see if it does start to make sense.
And the OP and ED animation have a lot of characters who seem like they could be interesting.

I will at least watch the other two episodes on the first disc.
I think that I will probably continue to enjoy it unless it gets too serious for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Recently, I finished Black Lagoon. It's a show that got better as it went on, and I don't regret watching it. It's just that I'm not really a fan of the action genre. It's still a really good show, I recommend it as a good gateway into anime. As for me, I think I'll wait a while before watching it again.

I also started Steins;Gate. It sure is NEEEEEEERRRRRDDDDDY. This show is so otaku-laden that it weirds me out. Rintaro is weird as hell, but J Michael Tatum puts in a great performance. I'm just going to have to see where this one is going. Smile

Well, that's all. I've reached around the middle of Black Butler and Death Note, a third of the way through School Rumble's first season, and only five episodes into Psycho Pass. Overall, good times. I'm having fun.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Last time I talked about getting to a cliffhanger episode in the infamous Infinite Ryvius and lets see how the following episode did. spoiler[The first four minutes or so gave the impression that *gasp* something decent or good might come from this! But then it went back to pacing so slow a snail high on morphine could outrun it. The actual fight was just Vital Guarder punching Vaia really hard and snapping the Black Ryvius or whatever the hell the enemy ship was called by breaking their drill in half and firing it off with a big cannon with what I assume are shots of concentrated gravity (feel free to correct me). Then came the epic cherry on the fecal sundae: A bunch of random kids simply waltz onto the bridge, pronounce they are taking over the ship, and leave. No build up, nobody resisting, not even violence- Actually, no, Kouji gets smacked in the face by whatshername for LITERALLY NO REASON OR WRONG DOING ON HIS END. A major plot point like that being handled that poorly left me nothing short of flabbergasted. HOW. THE. FACK. Does that even work?]

That hurt watching (mentally anyway). Saturday night I watched a bunch of shorts, the only one long enough worth talking about being an old OVA called Don't Lose! Makendo. Based on a pair of old SNES fighting games, it was basically a spoof of old school cartoony superheroes, not sure what the main duo are supposed to be homages to, but cyborg guy is clearly something out of a Shotaro Ishinomori manga. Unfortunately none of the jokes were that funny, basically making this a short version of Panty and Stocking. Not much to it beyond turn your brain off amusement and being okay overall.

In terms of anime I watched and finished recently we have Rec which was meh overall. The romance aspects were fine, the problem is there wasn't anything particular interesting going on. Slice of life anime are quite difficult to talk about. Earlier today I finished Freezing: Vibration. Excellent, but not fantastic like the first series. Why? I admit the plot was done much better this time around and the pacing was solid, kind of like Gravion Zwei with its predecessor. So what made it lower a full point for me? The lack of novas aside from the very beginning and end? The constant fan service? (they actually toned that down as it went on, which is a good thing) The spoiler[incest sexual abuse? I really can't call it rape since technically Satellizer did consent despite discomfort and her half brother being sociopathic most of the time.] The spoiler[forgiveness of said abuse? I don't agree with this criticism because forgiving people shouldn't be a bad thing.] Perhaps the fact that Elizabeth and Chiffon hijacked most of the series from Satellizer and Kazuya as the main characters? Nope, it was the lighting. Especially in the second half the lightning became literally so bright in some shots it was very difficult to figure out what the hell was going on so I had to constantly adjust my monitor. Anytime I see the generic "only plot and characters matter" you can tell they're either ignorant or inexperienced in whatever they are talking about because visuals and sound are just as important. Why? Because if you can't see or hear things properly it WILL be a distraction. I know this is difficult for people to wrap their heads around, but it's true. Most Hollywood movies, regardless of what tears and feces Rotten Tomatoes or a critic from Channel "Awesome" will whine over, get this right. I've seen low budget and independent movies of all sorts, these aspects get screwed up all the time and they can be hard to sit through. I could easily name at least fifty movies far more deserving of "worst ever" than what English speakers delude themselves into being as bad because they screw up things Ed Wood and Uwe Boll can get down correctly.

Anyway, up to episode 7 in M3, When They Cry Kai, and Planetes. First one, interest level not revolving around white haired guy is borderline non-existent. An anime done by the same people that did Aquarion as bad- Wait, they also did the dreadful Muv-Luv adaption, nevermind. Half the episodes are just glorified talk fests with surprisingly little world building, I'm starting to see why this series never caught on aside form a few people on /m/. Second one, starting from episode five the horror aspects started kicking in and episode six more or less reveals that the first series was just a bunch of backstory for this plot and making Rika the main character with this purple haired ghost her senses are connected to and I'm not even sure she has a name. The idea of that backstory could have been done with scenarios only one or two episodes long each rather than thirty one episodes just to get the point across. I will also admit the pacing has *gasp* IMPROVED! Third one, it sort of picks up steam yet it is so not interesting, has pacing issues, and is basically a sitcom at this point. Granted, moon ninja shenanigans were awesome and I like how they bother to use science in the forefront.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment

When I first started watching the first season of Date A Live, I really thought the show showed some real promise as a very entertaining harem-comedy/action series; nothing worthy of any genuine accolades or anything, but a fun series to follow week to week. Then the second season started dull as hell and basically killed most of the fuzzy feelings I had saved up for this franchise. That is not to say that the second season was Infinite Stratos 2 levels of bad, but it didn’t succeed in winning any more fans, and probably turned away a lot of fans that were undecided about whether or not they wanted to invest more time in this franchise; and continuing with the theme of downward momentum that the second season so graciously introduced for us, Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment follows in its predecessors footsteps in slowly driving the knife further into the gut of this once promising franchise.

The movie picks up right after the events of the second season, but so little actually happens that even writing a basic plot summary would spoil 95% of the entire movie. It's all pointless filler, and the movie is a waste of time for anybody that isn’t already a die-hard fan of this franchise.

Rating: Weak
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Today I got done watching Figure 17: Tsubasa & Hikaru. A 10-year-old girl named Tsubasa Shiina discovered a crashed-landed spaceship and is confronted by an extraterrestrial lifeforce that threatens to end her life. Fortunately, a mysterious person only known as "D.D." attempts to fight it to defend her from harm, but was eventually unsuccessful. Tsubasa somehow activates a device called a Liberus, battles against the alien and defeats it. Afterwards, she finds out that she has met someone who just happens to resemble her...

The one thing that I find unique about Figure 17 is that the episodes last an hour long instead of the usual half-hour. The show seems slow-paced with the battles against the creatures lasting only a few moments and usually towards the latter half of an episode, which may not be for everyone, particularly if they're used to fast-paced action. However, I found that this slow nature of the show was beneficial in showcasing the close friendship between Tsubasa and Hikaru.

If there's one obvious flaw that the show has, it's the boys, in which most of them sound way too old for their age. Other than that, I had a fun time watching Figure 17.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Just got Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) dubbed on DVD. Watching it. It's a very good dub, though I feel some performances were better in Japanese. I still think it's a small step down from Fate/Zero's dub, which is still pretty good.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
So things I've seen in the past week.

-Usagi-chan de Cue!! (I still don't have a proper English title for this yet): This seems like an anime tailor made for me to rage over: Obnoxious ecchi, an annoying cast, bad music, unfunny comedy, being girly magical girl junk, filler subplots, etc. Yet somehow I found myself unable to get upset over, mainly because the action and fast pacing made up for it, plus the main character has the excuse of being an animal previously. Plus nobody involved in the fan service was a child so it was....... tolerable. Still bad though for three episodes.

-Infinite Ryvius: So yes, I made it a grand total of one episode further. Guess what important stuff happens! Barely anything! spoiler[They restrained a few teens that were being abusive toward Zwei, one escapes because he had a gun, none of the characters took part in the "uprising", and nothing changes. Also the Rei-clone ballerina is noticed by some minor characters, but that is about it. "Lord of The Flies in space" would imply consequences occur and they don't here. Part of me thinks I should marathon the remaining ten episodes, but knowing how much insulting stupidity happens I'm not a hundred percent certain I'd make it out without a massive aneurysm.] Part of me thinks I shouldn't bother with spoiler tags because spoilers imply consequences.

-M3/When They Cry Kai/Planetes: Yesterday I made it up to episode 10 in all three, but then my main streaming source decided to go on a hiatus for the next month. M3 wasn't going anywhere and was the most stagnant of the three so that left Kai and space office. I tried to see Kai, but apparently my source was the only one that got the memo that DVD releases of the episodes were subtitled because everywhere I went I ended up encountering the TV version. That doesn't sound like a reason to avoid them until you realize this is a horror series and Japan has been wimping out on TV gore after the OVA boom for whatever reason. So that left Planetes which I made it to episode 16 in thus far. It cut down on the comedy and has surprisingly good writing that keeps good continuity, now if only they could boot Haji this would be better. There is also romance happening, but I will hold off on that until the end of the series or something worth bringing up happens.

-Genesis of Aquarion Love: Oh Aquarion, why are you so much like art? It is a weak epilogue to EVOL, especially since Mikono still has comfort issues with Amata for some reason (didn't EVOL literally end the series with several days of implied sex? Maybe the supposed alternate ending for the recent bluray box changed that and nobody told me.). Other than that it was another fantastic entry to a fantastic franchise, glad Logos is keeping up the tradition. Cool.... Even though it is ashame Sirius won't be back properly because the VAs of him and Apollo haven't gotten along since some really elaborate prank about some anime called Kokoro Concert or something which 2ch boycotted or- I have no idea. Makes me bummed out nonetheless. Sad
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
On episode 3 of Monster Musume. I think the centaur is my favorite so far. Although, I've gotta say... this guy has the best harem ever. I'd totally go for any of them.

Also, Prison School's broadcast dub is amazing.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to watching Sailor Moon and I'm five episodes in at this point. I'm a little concerned with the fightscenes being quite repetitive so far, but I guess it's natural considering Usagi's inexperience. The bad guys have all been generic and quite forgetable up until now, but hopefully that'll also change as more powerful enemies are introduced.

The humor really works for me though and that's definitely a big plus. I'm guessing part of the purpose of the show is for the viewer to follow Usagi's journey from selfcentered crybaby to fullfledged heroine and some of her less flattering personality traits are refreshing to watch. The plot is a bit simple and not very engaging so far, but I suppose it's mostly due to character introductions and hopefully the stakes get higher as the series progresses.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
So, after a loooong break, I started watching 3 series- and finished one.

The biggest disappointment was definitely Plastic Memories.
Now, this is a sort of series that sometimes can be a hit and miss for me. It reminded me a bit of AnoHana and A Lull in the Sea . These two were quite good, I particularly liked the latter. Now, Plastic Memories starts off promising premises, but once the romance kicks in, it becomes so incredibly boring I barely finished. I don't know, I could not see anything interesting and/or redeeming in any of the characters that were cut out with a cookie cutter. It would be nice if Isla was something more than cute and clumsy, and the whole romantic bit here is so cliché and the comedy did nothing for me. The best episodes were the first where they actually focused on the different retrieval cases, but all in all, this was a bit of a waste of time. I wish I read the review of the streaming before, would probably have not even bothered with it had I done so.

Now, onto Desert Punk, that I would love to get through but the main character is so incredibly annoying I can't! Now, this does not mean this is a bad series, on the contrary, but I now understand why one of my friends in the past found it hard to watch it,; you just want to strangle that guy.

I am also going through Knights of Sidonia (found it a bit hard to tell the characters apart as a few look pretty similar)- overall, so far so good, will try to start the second season soon, and High School of the Dead... Well, will need to wait and watch a few more episodes to make up my mind about it.
justseiyuuloveme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Prison School and Gangsta. Smile

And Bleach, again, because I missed its glory days.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Earlier I managed to finish Planetes. The ending plot came together nicely, it ended on a happy note aside from spoiler[one of the space ninjas dying offscreen (what the hell?)], there was decent gunplay scene near the climax, and Haji eventually got tolerable. The last two episodes could have had their scenes rearranged better, but otherwise I ended up finding the series great. Cool
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Just finished Pom Poko. If the movie was 30 minutes shorter, I think it would have been "very good." Now it's "good" leaning on "decent." I actually had to take breaks watching after the first hour because it was so tedious.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Just finished Pom Poko. If the movie was 30 minutes shorter, I think it would have been "very good." Now it's "good" leaning on "decent." I actually had to take breaks watching after the first hour because it was so tedious.

That was mu impressions of Pompoko as well. The second part of the film seems really long and there are things they could easily got rid of.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Started Clannad last night and I have to say I'm loving it.

I decided a while ago to start working my way up the list of so called "best" anime. Have to say going into it, I was nervous. I'd just finished Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and it was a struggle to finish. I enjoyed Disappearance but Melancholy was a fight. I'd almost considered skipping it halfway through but I knew the movie wouldn't make sense if I did. So I pushed through and emerged gasping on the other side.

I usually enjoy slice of life anime but after Melancholy, I was apprehensive about diving into another one. Suffice to say, I have yet to be disappointed. Yes, it's almost a harem (which can be annoying unless the show isn't trying to be serious) but I'm loving the cast. The story is both funny and touching. And the animation is well done. About halfway through so we'll see if the second half of the first season keeps delivering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 874 of 1061