• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Al Jazeera English Reports on Otakon, Anime Fandom

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
There's something quite surreal about the English version of an Arabic new channel talking about Japanese influence on anything. Very surreal.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
I'm surprised they could find three minutes of video at an anime convention that the Muslims wouldn't find too offensive for air.
That wasn't what I meant. It's just seems very odd, since the vast majority of any news is localized to the country in which the news agency resides generally.

I doubt the majority of Muslims would be bothered. The extremist minority, sure, but they already hate everyone anyway.

*Edited to remove an extra word.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
starcade wrote:
I'm surprised they could find three minutes of video at an anime convention that the Muslims wouldn't find too offensive for air.
That wasn't what I meant. It's just seems very odd, since the vast majority of any news is localized to the country in which the news agency resides generally.

I doubt the majority of Muslims would be bothered. The extremist minority, sure, but they already hate everyone anyway.

*Edited to remove an extra word.

Al Jazeera usually reports international news much like the BBC. In the 19th Century, Europe had a Japanese fettish, including manga, so it's no surprise a news station would cover the influence of one country to another when it happened in the past. It's the English station, so they might have Americans watching their news. I liked the reporters accent.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
To bad they couldn't find any Gravitation or One thousand and one nights cosplayers. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hotah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I missed that one. Very nice.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
[fangirlin] I was in this video too! My real name is Victoria and i'm in the purple wig with my BFF Cess! Whoo hoo! It's at about 00:52 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy [/fangirlin]

Anyways I thought it was odd at first because a newscast that isn't japanese or american was there. I guess a gathering as big as Otakon has gotten even more international attention. Good on ya Otakon! I knew this video would show up somewhere online or here.
Cowpunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
A Fanime this year I spotted a group of girls in islamic garb sitting together reading manga. Very cute.

I also once advised a fellow from Saudi Arabia on titles for his nieces back home.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
[fangirlin] I was in this video too! My real name is Victoria and i'm in the purple wig with my BFF Cess! Whoo hoo! It's at about 00:52 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy [/fangirlin]

Anyways I thought it was odd at first because a newscast that isn't japanese or american was there. I guess a gathering as big as Otakon has gotten even more international attention. Good on ya Otakon! I knew this video would show up somewhere online or here.

It has a station in the US http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/BB13080C-E34D-4E06-9F68-161E032FF957.htm
Abdallah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool. I guess I'll start watching the channel more often.

Quote:

I hope you're not being serious here. Why would it be so offensive to Muslims? I'm a muslim and there is a large number of people in the Islamic world who watch anime and many go to conventions when they have the chance. I was planning to attend AE or Otakon this summer, but had to take a summer course T^T.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Abdallah wrote:
I hope you're not being serious here. Why would it be so offensive to Muslims? I'm a muslim and there is a large number of people in the Islamic world who watch anime and many go to conventions when they have the chance. I was planning to attend AE or Otakon this summer, but had to take a summer course T^T.
I think that poster was thinking of the more extreme end of your religion. Like with all groups, religious or political or whatever, the extremist side can be completely nuts.

While I haven't had a lot of experience with members of your religion, I imagine there are few real differences between members of your faith and mine. You've got the majority who are very even keel, then you have the extremists who are dangerous to everyone.
oneguyks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Al Jazeera English (AJE) is not watched only in the Middle East. It's widely available everywhere on cable and satellite in Europe and Africa. It's also in South Asia (Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc) and Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand etc). I am not sure about Japan.

In the US, however, it's not carried by any major cable company (though some small cable companies carry it -- such as in Vermont and Toledo). But if someone really wants it, they can pick AJE everywhere in the US/Canada using Globecast satellite system -- like $200 -- (no monthly fee).

Plus it's on the Internet. For anyone in the US, jumptv.com offers free live stream (this stream is not free outside the US). Then AJE also posts some of the programs on youtube, like this one about Otakon.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
oneguyks wrote:
Al Jazeera English (AJE) is not watched only in the Middle East. It's widely available everywhere on cable and satellite in Europe and Africa. It's also in South Asia (Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc) and Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand etc). I am not sure about Japan.

In the US, however, it's not carried by any major cable company (though some small cable companies carry it -- such as in Vermont and Toledo). But if someone really wants it, they can pick AJE everywhere in the US/Canada using Globecast satellite system -- like $200 -- (no monthly fee).

Plus it's on the Internet. For anyone in the US, jumptv.com offers free live stream (this stream is not free outside the US). Then AJE also posts some of the programs on youtube, like this one about Otakon.

It's in Japan with Digisat (IPTV) [from the website I just showed]

Abdallah wrote:

Quote:

North American culture likes to show Muslims in a bad light, which is ignorant and racist. The worse is how this ignorance has spread into airports. I've argued with people explaining how Muslims aren't terrorists and aren't extremely conservative. Here in Toronto, people know Muslims aren't the way the media portrays, but in places with a low Muslim population there is ignorance.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that the minority of 1.2 billion is still a lot. 1%=1.2 million people, 10%= 120 million, 30%=360 million. Pick any number you want and it still adds up to a bunch of people. Although talking to any expatriate Iranian generals and they will give you much higher percentages than I did. Of course who would believe them.

To bad Al Jazeera doesn't give up who has been giving them the dozens and dozens of beheading videos. But I guess if they did that they wouldn't be the first ones able to broadcast such civilized behavior to the world.

But I feel for sain Muslims though. Just as there millions of radicals, there are even more millions of decent law-abiding people. Many of whom are afraid to speak out against such acts for fear of retribution against there families. I know I would be, especially if I was living in a region where such radical thought is law.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
1%=1.2 million people, 10%= 120 million, 30%=360 million.

Didn't you find something wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
starcade wrote:

Maybe you should say, "I'm surprised they could find three minutes of video at an anime convention that the Christians wouldn't find too offensive for air."

Really either statement is close minded and outright stupid to say. Most self proclaimed 'Christian' are as bad if not worse than most Muslims in the US. I myself and Christian, yet am sickened by the majority of people who use that name in this country.

It's not the Muslims in the US going around calling for Harry Potter to be banned. Hell, I even read about one idiot in Texas offended by language in Fahrenheit 451 and wanted it banned from his daughter's school! Plus Full Metal Alchemist was stupidly censored by Viz in fear of offending stupid Christians.

So, hey, take Jesus's own advise and don't be casting any stones and other religions. Check your own eye first for a log before complaining about a splinter in someone else's.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4