• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Creators Get Fan Mail?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Also, not only Fan Mails arrive on Twitter. Lately i read a News, where some Manga-ka (to avoid names) had to shut down his Twitter account because of the "DIE!" or worse postings.

Perhaps his or her Editor should be the last "Firewall" between him/her, for not wasting time in Spam or this kind of comments

I also wrote an English eMail to Studio Ghibli Museum contact. But i think they surly get many emails
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
English voice actors are easiest to reach by email, if you ask me. I've emailed quite a few English VAs through the emails they list on their personal websites, and always get a reply, even if it's a short to the point one. They're busy people, after all.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say that whoever picked the thumbnail for this Answerman is on point today. I giggled.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
(Psst! Should be "Aoni Production" without the "s" at the end.)

Sometimes I wonder if really popular seiyuu who seem to always be busy actually read their fan mail, but I guess they do, since Ono Daisuke has talked about something mentioned in fan mail he received before, and the contents seemed relatively recent. At events some present boxes are totally overflowing.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Twitter just seems so much more effective.

Couter-point:
Because it's very easy to get on Twitter (or any other SNS for that matter), people can write anything. Anything. That includes off-the-bat, rash rage-comments and whatnot. However, by writing a letter, the sender actively takes time and effort to put their thoughts and opinions in a more comprehensible and thought-out way, rather than the average "lolz u suk bro." Granted, hate mail still exist, but it's that higher bar that raises the chances that the more-motivated fans will use mail, and not just spam the recipient.

At least I'd like to think that.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
I just want to say that whoever picked the thumbnail for this Answerman is on point today. I giggled.

Didn't notice it at first, but that is pretty funny. What's the source of that picture? Looks like a Visual Novel, but I don't recognize it.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Shaterri wrote:

Didn't notice it at first, but that is pretty funny. What's the source of that picture? Looks like a Visual Novel, but I don't recognize it.

It's from ensemble's Damatte Watashi no Muko ni Nare! (Shut Up and Become My Groom!)
48 Rices

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
How about fan mails in a radio show?

I had a hard time getting my emails being read, and I don't know the format of making one...
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Twitter is great if what you have to say can fit into 140 character or less.

If you have anything resembling a complex thought you want to convey, a letter is the way to go. Trying to send something coherent using multiple tweets is difficult at best.

Plus on twitter, the more popular a creator is, the easier it is for any comments to get lost in the flood, or deliberately ignored. An actual letter they receive is more difficult to ignore. If nothing else they have to actively expend effort to get rid of it. And if they like it, depending on how they handle their fan mail, they could be handing onto it for years, long after twitter's lost it's popularity.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if really popular seiyuu who seem to always be busy actually read their fan mail, but I guess they do, since Ono Daisuke has talked about something mentioned in fan mail he received before, and the contents seemed relatively recent. At events some present boxes are totally overflowing.

I've had a fair share of replies on twitter - it helps to include a relevant picture in it (e.g. of a place that the artist mentioned or venue or autographed item).

Only used the present box a couple of times - should have tweeted a picture of the present at the same time.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Everyone knows that when someone sends a letter, they're trying to convey something deeply meaningful to someone important to them. Tweeting by its nature means you can't be bothered with expressing yourself at length in a thoughtful manner. I've sent letters and tweets to mangaka. I've seen letters pinned to the walls of their studios. I know one letter I wrote to an American author made it onto her wall. There really is no comparison if you actually want to communicate.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
I've had a fair share of replies on twitter - it helps to include a relevant picture in it (e.g. of a place that the artist mentioned or venue or autographed item).

Only used the present box a couple of times - should have tweeted a picture of the present at the same time.

I've received replies on Twitter too, but Twitter messages are short. Have you SEEN the present boxes at events? There are tons of letters in there, and letters are going to take longer to read than tweets.

I don't doubt that seiyuu read the fan mails that they receive, but since some are so busy I just wonder how they ever find the time to. I know Suwabe reads all letters (and he only accepts letters-- no presents) soon after he receives them at whatever event, and he's nice to tweet when he's finished reading them.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
That`s some nice knowledge to know! I`ll backlog this in my mind.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Well, with Hollywood, for the actors who get a lot of feedback from fans, either the agent will go through it, or there's a crew member dedicated to reading them. They'll pick out the ones they like and give them to the actor, though sometimes, the agent will write back directly (but it'll always be made clear it's not the actor who replies).

I think it's a sound structure, and I don't see why it'd be greatly different for the above with popular seiyuu.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind, not all artists will respond on Twitter either. I asked famed manga artist Yasuo Ohtagaki what language he utilized in the Gundam Thunderbolt manga for one of the factions and he, well... never responded Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2