• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo, Niantic Reveal Pokémon GO Smartphone App

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
Well the good thing at least, is that it's free to play.

The bad news is, like most games it has in-app micro-transactions.

It's pretty obvious that it'll start with Gen 1 only, with Gen II-VI being paid expansions.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
This looks kind of fun. The only downside I can see is that people, not always children, will be alerted of a Pokémon to capture in a dangerous area, like a busy street, and will be hurt.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
THE TIME HAS COME!!

ok not really but still this seems nice even if I can see it going wrong in the way the poster above mentioned.

I just can't wait do use the battle feature and look like an idiot chunibyou in public with some other poor albeit enthusiastic soul.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
The only downside I can see is that people, not always children, will be alerted of a Pokémon to capture in a dangerous area, like a busy street, and will be hurt.

Oh wow, I never thought of this possibility, it's perfectly reasonable. Hopefully they warn against that in-app.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
wooo, finally a game of this type Cool wonder how this'll work in other countries tho
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
What's up with "-- Go" lately

Lara Croft Go was just released for mobile

TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
FINALLY A REAL LIFE POKEMON GAME!
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Well the good thing at least, is that it's free to play.

The bad news is, like most games it has in-app micro-transactions.

It's pretty obvious that it'll start with Gen 1 only, with Gen II-VI being paid expansions.

I don't think they'll go that far. Thus far, all of the free-to-play Pokémon games have been pretty fair with the other generations. Pokémon Shuffle adds new Pokémon of all generations every couple of months (for free), Pokémon Rumble World keeps them gated with in-game purchases that can be made without having to spend a single real-world cent...

Game Freak knows that kids are going to be first in line to play this game. I trust them to have some restraint.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm thrilled of the idea of literally catching Pokémon in real time. Smile
Of course, the downside of this is that it's "free-to-play," meaning "microtransactions..." Rolling Eyes

Of course, it's the kids that are going to be interested in Pokémon Go, first and foremost, so I trust that Game Freak won't fall prey to the nefarious nickel-and-dime practices other mobile gaming companies have been using for ages.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Welp, I'm going to need a phone with a better battery life then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shirohae

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
omg it looks so fun!
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
According to serebii it will interact with the main games some how. New way to great dream world abilities I bet.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
According to serebii it will interact with the main games some how. New way to great dream world abilities I bet.

It was said in the press conference that they were planning on having it connect to future (main) games, but I think it's still in the planning stages, from the way it was worded.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... *facepalm* why do they have to super hype the promo video with all the fake AR BS. People staring at AR Pokemon without using their screen. Throwing pokeballs that won't actually exist. Showing super high-def Pokemon interacting in the real world in ways that are night impossible to do with current technology.

All while the slim few real screenshots of the app hidden in the video seem to imply that there is absolutely no AR in the app and location based context seems to be only simple indicators like "You're in a forest area, so the Pokemon are seen in a forest environment". And seems to imply that this "real-world" interaction with Pokemon Go will in fact be a pile of people staring at their smartphones out of connection with the real-world as usual or pressing a button on an oversized accessory that will blink a led to indicate they just caught a pokemon.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
It was said in the press conference that they were planning on having it connect to future (main) games, but I think it's still in the planning stages, from the way it was worded.

How would they do that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2