• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Death Note Films Get 2016 Sequel by Gantz Helmer Sato

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
but... spoiler[Light is dead] already, what are they gonna do? ._.

Admin: Edited for spoilers
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Well, in the manga a spoiler[new Kira appeared], so I guess they're going to expand on that.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Light and L are both dead], so who is going to have a showdown? Who can they even bring back from the original films? spoiler[I guess there's Soichiro and Misa...? And of course, Ryuk.] Who else?

L: Change the WorLd had Near, I wonder if he or Mello might be involved...?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
so L and Light actually had sex canonically, my otp forever and this is their sons, nice.

Last edited by Яeverse on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:06 am; edited 3 times in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
spoiler[Light and L are both dead], so who is going to have a showdown? Who can they even bring back from the original films? spoiler[I guess there's Soichiro and Misa...? And of course, Ryuk.] Who else?

It's stated in the article that it will be between people who share their DNA.

Honestly, this plot sounds terrible... and extremely forced. I'm glad that the original story has been so popular for so long, as it's my favorite anime, but I seriously... this is kind of ridiculous. Guys with their DNA are now battling it out with 6 total competitors? This sounds like a lame Battle Royale. Whatever. Thankfully I can just ignore it's existence(unless it somehow proves to be really good).
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Could have worked on a new Gantz movie instead.

spoiler[This sounds interesting, but it would have been more appealing as an original anime].
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Huh. At first I rolled my eyes reading the headline, but became intrigued instead upon reading the synopsis, which sounds like it'll be more epic than the previous story. And even if no one in North America picks it up, since it's Warner Bros. hopefully that means the UK will have a region-free blu ray release. A new Death Note movie set in the same universe as the first two movies and directed by the filmmaker of Gantz, both movie duologies I happen to sincerely like? Definitely looking forward!
MasterSword23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
1. This is SO forced and unnecessary

2. Where's the american movie?

Just stop with Death Note! It's perfect with just the manga and anime! No more movies, no more musicals, and no more TV shows! The only adaptation I accept is the american movie at this point.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
so L and Light actually had sex canonically, my otp forever and this is their sons, nice.

That might make more sense than the stupid plot they have here, in which two unrelated people somehow "inherit" Light & L's DNA. DNA is not destiny, writers. Would've made more sense if two completely unrelated characters in the future were inspired by Light and L, since surely they'd be written about in the history books.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Reverse: Not just canonically. Rolling Eyes
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
There are certain anime, movies, games, etc. that don't need an extension to its story.

Death Note doesn't need one either.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I was sure it was going to end up being a film related to the drama. This was the last thing anyone would have expected.

I'm guessing that the new Light will be Misa and Light's kid and L must have had his sperm taken so a worthy successor could be born in the future... It's still complete BS. It sounds like a fanfiction.

I think it might be amusing to watch, but I can't imagine it being a great film that Death Note fans love.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
or it could be light's sister Razz
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow that plot sounds terrible. How could they possibly make a movie based around the Six-Note rule. I love Death Note, but is just bad.

So I guess this is a sequel to the universe in the films, not the TV series universe then?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The only way this could make sense is if Light's sister somehow got a Death Note. The epilogue to the second movie showed spoiler[Misa with no indication that Light knocked her up a year later]. And L's DNA? They couldn't work in Near? Yeah, it's not like he existed in the live action movie's continuity or anything.

If they wanted to make another movie, why not have either Teru Mikami or Mello become the new Kira and Near hunts them down? It would make more sense than this fan fiction BS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2