• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tatsumi Kimishima Chosen as New President of Nintendo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
This is it. Looking forward to the future of Nintendo.

Thank you Iwata. You'll always be in our thoughts.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
I'm a little bit skeptical when it comes to HR people, I didn't have that great of an experience with HR at my last job. But I'm sure that Kimishima's track record at the company was considered greatly for the BoD to appoint him. Best of luck to Nintendo, still one of my favorite gaming companies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
Some companies have bad HR, and some companies have good HR. It's just hard to tell until you see it from the inside.

Say, since Kimishima was CEO of Nintendo of America for a while, what position did Reggie Fils-Aime have?
Silver4000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
I have never heard of him, but since Nintendo choose him, he must be the best to take over Iwata.

Maybe they will launch a special Direct soon (not including TGS this week).
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
This guy comes from a purely management background. No games, no developement, just numbers. Can't say I trust that.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Some companies have bad HR, and some companies have good HR. It's just hard to tell until you see it from the inside.

Say, since Kimishima was CEO of Nintendo of America for a while, what position did Reggie Fils-Aime have?

Marketing director, if memory serves me right.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Mr. Kimishima-san for being chosen as Nintendo's new CEO. Here's hoping he'll be a positive influence in the Directs, if he will ever appear in them.
Rychy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
This guy comes from a purely management background. No games, no developement, just numbers. Can't say I trust that.

I find this quite worrisome as well. Doesn't sound like a gamer or developer at all.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
This guy comes from a purely management background. No games, no developement, just numbers. Can't say I trust that

That actually sounds quite terrible. I am really worried about Nintendo's future now. The president of a company cannot just be a managerial person with no background in the product or the service they are offering. Steve Jobs proved that back in the old days.
se37

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
You know, I've been hearing people talking about how they miss Iwata and with Tatsumi Kimishima they are afraid of how the company will end up. Kimishima has already said he is going to continue what Iwata set up and Miyamoto & Takeda are still going to be advisory for him.

Plus, the same people I've noticed that they miss Iwata and want a Iwata 2.0.... are the ones who months and even days before Iwata death were asking him to be replaced and fired.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Hasn't at least Miyamoto said that he doesn't really have the head for business (and that that was one of the reasons he didn't want the top role)? This makes perfect sense doing it this way. To head the business, you have someone who has a head for business. Directly under him, in advisory positions, are someone who is now in charge of all of the tech-side of game development, and someone who is now in charge of all of the creative-side of game development. So you've got a 3-man team, one person of which has a head for each aspect: business, technology, and creativity.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Marketing director, if memory serves me right.

Kimishima is also 65, and has the steady hand to guide Nintendo while a younger more Iwata-like succesor is being groomed. Also Kimishima won't neglect the Western market as he is quite familiar with America. I can also imagine that Miyamoto and Takeda will help advise the more day-to-day creative and technical stuff as someone mentioned above.

Iwata's vision for the next few years will be realized. Kimishima is basically a transitional CEO to keep Nintendo steady for the next 5-10 years.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Reggie is just a marketing director. Still, that explains why he's the most visible face of Nintendo of America. I mistook him for the president of Nintendo of America.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Kimishima predicted that the Wii U would fail: https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/643461939536920576

He is also been quoted as saying that it is wrong to lead a gaming company on numbers alone. (serkantoto has a different tweet with that)
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I can't wait where Nintendo will go from now on.

Iwata will always be missed, but we need to look ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
You know, I've been hearing people talking about how they miss Iwata and with Tatsumi Kimishima they are afraid of how the company will end up. Kimishima has already said he is going to continue what Iwata set up and Miyamoto & Takeda are still going to be advisory for him.

Plus, the same people I've noticed that they miss Iwata and want a Iwata 2.0.... are the ones who months and even days before Iwata death were asking him to be replaced and fired.

Indeed; a little too late to suddenly be missing him and trying to act like they weren't a bunch of caustic critics during his tenure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2