• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Linebarrels of Iron Duo Collaborate on Getter Robo Devolution Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
From an Ishinomori title to a title of a franchise that Go Nagai made, this duo is kicking old school. Linebarrels was one of Josh Grelle's first lead roles in a Funi title.
Strike105

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
Nice! The world really does need more Getter Robo, but I am curious how this is going to play out quality and canon wise, since I am unfamiliar with Linebarrels of Iron (though I do occasionally hear good things, I may need to check it out at some point), and Getter Robo's main creator and writer Ken Ishikawa passed away several years ago, meaning this will be one of the very few official Getter Robo manga stories produced without his involvement. If resources allow, I'll try to follow this.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
From an Ishinomori title to a title of a franchise that Go Nagai made, this duo is kicking old school. Linebarrels was one of Josh Grelle's first lead roles in a Funi title.

Correction: That Ken Ishikawa made Getter Robo with some input from Go Nagai (mostly that they should use jets, not land vehicles).

Ken Ishikawa put nearly 30 years of his life into the series (up to just a bit before his death), yet Go Nagai always seems to get the major credit. It's a damn shame.

Still, Devolution might be a solid spin-off. Should check it out.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of conflicted on this. I really like the artists' style and I am a huge fan of Getter Robo, but I'm not too enamored with seeing a more technically complex-looking Getter. I always thought, regardless of the robot, that the Getters worked better with the more loose, superhero-like designs. It's not that they looked bad the other way, they just don't look that right, either. Judging from their past work and making out what the image in the ad looks like, it appears they may be going said route.

Still, I am genuinely intrigued by what they come up with, both as a new work and as a Getter Robo one. I don't want to get too picky or extra critique-y about it, so I'll try spoiler[(trryyyyyyy…)] and just wait-and-see how it comes all together…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
transtector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought this is about the Sentinel's Dino Getter, but it doesn't seem like it (the designs).

www.sentinel-toys.com/catalog/info.php?target=products_detail&products_id=125
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Now, how about do some Tezuka?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1