• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Live-Action Attack on Titan Is #1 With Half of 1st Film's Box Office

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I guess you could say that half the people that watched the 1st film just didn't watch the 2nd movie. I've accepted the movie for what it is from the start, so when I watch it, I will have no complaints after. Yeah.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the danger of having one movie directly pick up after another--you could have people who'll think, "I didn't see the first one, so I won't know what this one's about. I'll sit this one out."
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Bad word of mouth probably didn't help either.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
I don't understand why they were released so closely together. Seems like an odd movie set up.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, that's the danger of having one movie directly pick up after another--you could have people who'll think, "I didn't see the first one, so I won't know what this one's about. I'll sit this one out."

There are still showings to be found for the first one, though, so it's not too late.

I saw it; not so much because I love the franchise as because it was the last day of Silver Week, I wanted to go to a movie, and I'd already seen Ant-Man. I don't know how much has been revealed in the manga by this point, but if you're waiting for a second season of the anime, you might want to wait about seeing this, because it does end the story and reveal all secrets. Maybe things will go differently in other media, but after seeing this I feel like I've kind of reached a point of closure with this story.

Quote:
I don't understand why they were released so closely together. Seems like an odd movie set up.

Probably because the same thing was done with the "Rurouni Kenshin" Kyoto arc movies last year, and those made a ton of money. Moral of the story: make more Kenshin movies!
drifty1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
I think the main reason the second movie didn't do so well is that the hard core fans mostly panned the first one. I though the movie was OK, but to really enjoy it, you pretty much have to forget everything in both the manga and the anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
Seems half of the watchers of the 1st movie didn't like the changes and so didn't go for the 2nd movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1