• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ponycan USA Details Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Home Video Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Really happy with the continued speedy releases & hopefully these Rokka no Yuusha BDs will come with a nice slew of extras like previous PonyCan sets Very Happy!
gilnokoibito

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
#shuusei wrote:
I will not be buying this unless I know that they fixed the names. even if it's just a minor thing, it still bugged me a bit. and the thought of them saying Flamie in the dub is cringe

I know the translation of the LNs used different names but as far as Flamie goes, doesn't it make more sense to spell and pronounce it in English as Flamie instead of Fremy? I mean, Saint of Gunpowder? Flame? Speeddraw? Kinda seems like the were going for an intentional pun even in the Japanese.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
They can't possibly be charging an arm and a leg for this when so far the only evidence they have is there's not much demand for this.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
That said, sales for the LNs have been surprisingly solid recently, and the publisher can use that as an incentive to greenlight a S2.

That's a pretty optimistic interpretation of the sales figures. From MAL

6/22-28 - not listed; (27th ranked work sold 5,375)
7/20-26 - Volume 6: 7,240 (20th)
7/27-8/2 - Volume 6: 5,048 (24th)
8/17-23 - not listed; (33rd ranked work sold 3,809)

The first anime episode aired 7/5.

There was a little bump after the show first aired, but it has not persisted. Also given that volumes of Rokka cost only a bit under 700 yen, price is probably not the reason for these rather uninspiring sales.

I see little in either the LN or the Bluray sales figures to hold out much hope for a second season.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Will see how much they're charging for this and see if it hopefully includes a dub, like they were thinking about, before deciding if I'll buy it.

gilnokoibito wrote:
I know the translation of the LNs used different names but as far as Flamie goes, doesn't it make more sense to spell and pronounce it in English as Flamie instead of Fremy? I mean, Saint of Gunpowder? Flame? Speeddraw? Kinda seems like the were going for an intentional pun even in the Japanese.

Agreed. I think Flamie fits really well and way better.
JC_Denton

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
That said, sales for the LNs have been surprisingly solid recently, and the publisher can use that as an incentive to greenlight a S2.

There was a little bump after the show first aired, but it has not persisted. Also given that volumes of Rokka cost only a bit under 700 yen, price is probably not the reason for these rather uninspiring sales.

I see little in either the LN or the Bluray sales figures to hold out much hope for a second season.

In the LN series ranking it sold 44k in July and 35k in August,total 80k, not so much compare to Overlord's 349k or GATE's 176k, but enough to double Kuusen or Shimoneta

http://i.imgur.com/KyTtvz3.png
http://i.imgur.com/mex2toW.png
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere that it got a pretty decent boost back in July and August. Lacking compared to Overlord and GATE, but it fared better than Shimoneta and whatever that harem magic academy show was called.

JC_Denton wrote:
In the LN series ranking it sold 44k in July and 35k in August,total 80k, not so much compare to Overlord's 349k or GATE's 176k, but enough to double Kuusen or Shimoneta

http://i.imgur.com/KyTtvz3.png
http://i.imgur.com/mex2toW.png

Yeah, this is what I was referring to. Nothing great, but decent enough.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Aww I'm really sad now because I feel like I enjoyed this series over Overlord & Gate... I feel like I'm the only one who did though..
shuusei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I would've considered buying this one, but PonyCan's release is probably too much for my budget considering I didn't love-love it.

I will totally buy the LNs, though. Let's go Yen Press!

#shuusei wrote:
I will not be buying this unless I know that they fixed the names. even if it's just a minor thing, it still bugged me a bit. and the thought of them saying Flamie in the dub is cringe

The Japanese website uses the same Romanizations that were in the subs. See: http://rokka-anime.jp/character/Flamie/

Did the light novels provide different Romanizations? And I mean beyond fan-translations.

I own the JP version of volume one and it has the characters names written in english next to their intro pages as: Adlet, Nashetania, Fremy, Goldof, Chamo, Hans, Mora.

gilnokoibito wrote:
#shuusei wrote:

I see, now that you've pointed out a more international pun-intended version of the name, I can see your point. Though I still find it a bit weird. The other 4 changes were mainly spelling, which you only see in the subs. So I guess that resolves the issue at hand.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
^
Hunh, rather odd then. Weird why they chose to change it on the Japanese side when Romanizations were provided so early on. Unless the author decided to update the names or something...

For the record, I prefer Fremy because it sounds more like a name. I just can't fault the subs for using the official-for-the-anime names. In any case, changing it might not even be up to them; the original producers are often the ones signing the documents on what characters can be called.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Knowing them, they will charge more than Aniplex USA charges. From a sales standpoint, wouldn't it make sense to lower the price quite a bit if the home country's sales weren't spectacular?

You simply don't understand the Japanese business acumen. Twisted Evil
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Knowing them, they will charge more than Aniplex USA charges. From a sales standpoint, wouldn't it make sense to lower the price quite a bit if the home country's sales weren't spectacular?

It's wishful thinking on their end. The prices will likely remain inflated. They are going to be crossing their fingers and hope for a positive reaction from the American fans. Also keep in mind that the US release is coming very soon after the Japanese release. There will probably be little difference in the pricing because of reverse importation fears. Either that or it will be DVD only, with hard subs, and will ship in a paper dvd sleeve..
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Unfortunately NA is not the primary market Japan is, so anything they can sell to an outside market is either gravy or helps recoup some of the costs particularly if selling price remains high. They've also taken the AoA approach which means "take it or leave it" and "get it now because you may not get a second chance". This approach works if they don't cave into fan demands and the product is popular enough. Whether Rokka is popular enough only they will know with streaming numbers. Plus they are going to make some money back just on streaming (Answerman has said streaming is doing well now money wise), so they don't necessarily have to feel incredibly pressured to lower costs.

As far as Rokka itself I liked it, but I can't justify buying it because how it ends. Its too much of an incomplete story which wouldn't get me to revisit it and I don't buy anime to just sit on my shelf and impress the masses. I prefer buying stuff that has some rewatch value for me. Maybe if there was a second season that didn't end on a "to be continued in the LN" note then I might be inclined to spring for it.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the 'Where the hell is Hibike' crowd.

I would really like to know whether they plan on dubbing that show or not.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
well, I can honestly say that I'm probably never going to see this, isn't it bad enough that we're stuck with Aniplex of America's horrible pricing system but pony canyon has to hit us over the head with their bad pricing set up too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5