• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans to Also Stream on Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu, Gundam.Info

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Funimation does an English Dub, and Rightstuf distributes it in the US.

I am inclined to think that if Funimation pays for a dub, they will get to distribute it. If Namco Bandai/Sunrise don't agree with this arrangement, Funimation will not invest money in a dub for a property they cannot completely have control in the NA market.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Gundam's going to stream on sites that people actually use? Can such things be?

Build Fighters and Recongusita were streamed on Youtube, one of the most popular websites on the entire internet...but sure.

That said, I also want to make it known that streaming "On Gundam.info" just means it's streaming on Youtube. Gundam.info just uses embedded videos from their youtube channel (which is also named gundaminfo )

edit: Youtube also by far has the best video quality. So unless it's blocked in your region/language (Build Fighters was in a ton of languages), there's no reason NOT to watch it on Youtube.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
IBO is getting much better treatment than G-Reco ever did I wonder why it took Bandai so long to open arms to the US again.

Kougeru wrote:

Build Fighters and Recongusita were streamed on Youtube, one of the most popular websites on the entire internet...but sure.

G-Reco was region locked even on YouTube, this is the first time it'll be legally available for streaming in the US by Hulu. Distribution rights for it were a mess but luckily they're not making the same mistake with IBO.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a lot of sites to choose from. I suppose I'll watch it on Funimation as a way to show some support for a home release.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it on FUNimation just because I want to see more Gundam from them. May as well support it. In any other case I probably would've watched it on CR because FUNis app sucks.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd be really surprised if FUNimation didn't go ahead and pick up the physical rights for the show. Other than Magical Boys (whose licensing situation was honestly kind of a fustercluck) and a couple of other older shows, it's rare for them to get streaming rights for a show and not get home video rights as well. Especially for a popular and well-known franchise such as Gundam.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
G-Reco was region locked even on YouTube, this is the first time it'll be legally available for streaming in the US by Hulu. Distribution rights for it were a mess but luckily they're not making the same mistake with IBO.

Actually, G-Recon was on YT for the US (and other regions, but US is the only specific one I know) on about a 6 or 7 week delay.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
>Gundam
>FUNimation
Does this mean we'll be getting non-half-assed Gundam releases again?!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, you guys are jumping to some major conclusions here. FUNimation hasn't "licensed" anything. In addition to Sunrise's on-going deal with Rightstuf, the big giveaways are the fact that it's basically streaming on EVERY service that deals with anime and that Daisuki both announced and is premiering it first (presumably, they'll be the ones uploading it to Hulu as well, like with God Eater).

Considering Crunchy and FUNi are delay-casting it, they're obviously the 2nd-tier streamers here, with Daisuki likely being the "main" licensee. In all likelihood, Sunrise really wants to push this title in the West and decided they wanted it streaming in as many places as possible. To me, it appears to be a "Hey, we want this title to be as widely available as possible, so you guys (Crunchy and FUNi) can stream this too... after Daisuki..." kind of situation.

This feels a lot like what Toei did a few years back with Harlock, Digimon, Pretty Cure and a bunch of other stuff from their back-catalog. They approached EVERY English streaming service with their shows, and they were all up on numerous services for years. But that had nothing to do with any licenses beyond streaming, everybody was simply offered streaming rights, and everybody took them.

Plus, the going rumor for years was that Sunrise was basically only open to licensing out Gundam in an all-or-nothing deal. When no-one bit, they simply decided to do it themselves and struck that distribution deal with Rightstuf. Unless they've changed their tune in a big way, it's so, SOOO unlikely they'd be willing to fully license out just this one show to anybody. Otherwise, we'd surely have seen companies cherry-picking popular Gundam titles already (Wing, G, maybe some of the movies, etc).

TL;DR
Basically, it'd be best not to get your hopes up that FUNimation is doing ANYTHING beyond simply simulcasting it because Sunrise is letting them. I could be wrong, but you'd probably just be setting yourself up for major disappointment.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
WOW nice! Can't wait to watch this!
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This could be just like Cute High Earth Defense Club where Funi just streamed it but PCUSA released the actual DVD/BD themselves.

Wait and see what Funi says....
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Nyren wrote:
Funimation does an English Dub, and Rightstuf distributes it in the US.

I am inclined to think that if Funimation pays for a dub, they will get to distribute it. If Namco Bandai/Sunrise don't agree with this arrangement, Funimation will not invest money in a dub for a property they cannot completely have control in the NA market.

Ugh, I sincerely hope FUNimation doesn't get to dub this. I would far rather have NYAV Post continue to handle Gundam.

The move is somewhat unusual, but it also looks like Sunrise wants as many fans as possible across the globe to be able to see the series, with FUNimation having (I assume) the second largest anime-related streaming service. I think they were about to move in that direction with G-Reco, but…we all know about that now.

Personally, if Sunrise as already found success with doing Unicorn on their own and have already begun doing other Gundam series, I really don't see why they would bother allowing another company (FUNimation or otherwise) to make money that they could be making, especially on a show with gateway implications and "hit" expectations. I could see them giving away at least streaming rights to get as many eyeballs as humanly possible (the week delay may be a sign of just that), but anything beyond that, why?

On the flip side, however, it seems like they were trying to shop G-Reco early on, but its quick notoriety likely whittled down suitors (or at least dropped any interests) as it went on. It might explain its lack of streaming in N. America when it aired (as streaming rights might have been part of any deal), so the appearance of FUNimation may indeed be a sign of something more. If so, the only other reason I see for that happening could be for future TV broadcast purposes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
You guys need to remember that in the UK, G-Reco was licensed out to All the Anime as a one-shot, because I certainly don't think they were forced into picking up the entire Gundam catalog. So the possibility of someone like FUNi licensing the new series by itself may not totally be out of the question.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
By number of available territories (not the amount of available titles), I believe YT is the largest legit anime streamer.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow there hitting all the bases on this one
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3