• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Super Mario Maker Sells More Than 1 Million Copies Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Remember, folks: Nintendo is in trouble! Wink
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

Wii U only, 3DS sells like hotcakes everyday...
Yen50414

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

Even the Wii U is selling pretty well since Mario Maker.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Super Mario Maker reaching over 1 million sales in less than three weeks is an impressive feat. Smile
Tefnod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
All Nintendou executives should be imprisoned by now. How can they get a-way with this for so long? Are video-game fanatics really this dumb? Nintendou do not even have to pretend they are selling a different game, they are that brazen.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Seeing Super Mario Maker reaching over 1 million sales in less than three weeks is an impressive feat. Smile

Not really, AAA titles, which basically includes Mario, sell a few million in a few days or less. A million is not bad for any other game, but not for a mario game.
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Don't say that.....Confused
AnthonyC8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Of course it's gonna sell a lot of copies in a short amount of time! It's the game we all dreamed about at one point and our dream finally came true! Anime cry
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Or, that other thing.

Yen50414 wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

Even the Wii U is selling pretty well since Mario Maker.

Wii U has been selling pretty well since Mario Kart 8. and has only been ramping up even more since Smash 4, Splatoon, and now Mario Maker have hit in succession.

The only trouble spot is with Star Fox pushed back they have no bullet in the chamber for Christmas 2015.

Tefnod wrote:
All Nintendou executives should be imprisoned by now. How can they get a-way with this for so long? Are video-game fanatics really this dumb? Nintendou do not even have to pretend they are selling a different game, they are that brazen.

OR, people actually legitimately like the idea of being able to make their own Mario levels. And want to pay for the privilege, so Nintendo keeps making great games.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
While apparently not up to some people's expectations, one million in less than a month is still pretty good to me. Considering it is only on the Wii U, that probably is one reason why it's not as hot as it could be. But since there are now over 2 million courses to play through, I can understand why Nintendo had Youtube shut down all those SMW hack videos.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
A million in one month is a terrific figure that most developers would kill for. Especially on the Wii U, a console that has had a steady increase in sales but is still well behind its competitors.

But let's be real here: a Nintendo title could sell 5 billion copies in ten seconds and it still wouldn't be up to the "expectations" of some people who just want to see the company fail.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
Wow. I wonder if it's worth picking up here. Hell, if you're studying video games why not create your own levels.
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Anyone saying Wii U is terrible, and is hatting on Nintendo don't know ****. The 3DS sales are what's keeping Nintendo Alive enough to keep producing Home Consoles. The Handhelds have Pokemon, Pokemon will always be amazing, and a system seller along with Zelda. The Wii U didn't sale that much because of Games, that's all really, Nintendo is both a Hardware, and Software Company and it's still a Miracle that they get the job done, and released something for not one, but both sectors of Home, and Portable. What company you know nowadays does that? Sure, Vita. And you know what? All they needed to do what hire outside people who already know how to program next generation games, that's all it really was the kept the Wii U behind, they need to let new talent who know this genereation of graphics to be in charge and the olders just need to superviser and give feedback on making sure they stay true to the game's laws, and rules, and history...leave the Graphics to the new generation of Programers that aren't from Nintendo and hired outside.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
I like Nintendo as much as the next guy, but let's not kid ourselves, 1 million units is small potatoes. It's small for triple a development and it's small for Mario.

Last edited by Animehermit on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:
I like Nintendo as much as the next guy, but let's kid ourselves, 1 million units is small potatoes. It's small for triple a development and it's small for Mario.

It's really not, Nintendo doesn't blow hundreds of millions of dollars and call it 'triple A'. They keep their development tight and practical. So when they sell a million copies it actually matters. They set realistic goals and exceed them. Something other publisher/developers should learn from.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2