• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans to Also Stream on Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu, Gundam.Info

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Honestly, I'd be really surprised if FUNimation didn't go ahead and pick up the physical rights for the show. Other than Magical Boys (whose licensing situation was honestly kind of a fustercluck) and a couple of other older shows, it's rare for them to get streaming rights for a show and not get home video rights as well. Especially for a popular and well-known franchise such as Gundam.

If I remember right Right Stuf does have all distribution of all the Gundam series in NA. And Right Stuf a panel @ Anime Iowa They shown a trailer for Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Funi as one of the simulcasters, didn't see that coming.

gravediggernalk wrote:
>Gundam
>FUNimation
Does this mean we'll be getting non-half-assed Gundam releases again?!

I wish.

It's good that Sunrise/Rightstuf is going to be bringing the blu-rays of original Gundam next, but yeah I'd like to see the return of Gundam dubs outside of just the big occasional UC OVAs.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

Ugh, I sincerely hope FUNimation doesn't get to dub this. I would far rather have NYAV Post continue to handle Gundam.

I still firmly believe NYAV should be the OVA/Special studio like how Animaze was for the older specials/OVAs like F91, 08th, etc. I would still like the shows themselves done by Ocean (especially considering some of the new talent they've gotten isn't that bad actually. They just need more experience. See the Cardfight Vanguard dub.)
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Funimation picked up a Gundam show?! Shocked Color me extremely surprised. For some reason I was not expecting this.

I don't think they've ever had a GUndam show.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Gundam's going to stream on sites that people actually use? Can such things be?

With how this had an international press release announcement and
just recent streaming things they've been working on it seems Bandai is finally serious about getting back into the West. Seriously no more of this making your show next to impossible to watch stuff, just maybe it has a chance at finding a Western audience now unlike Reconguista and Build Fighters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:13 am Reply with quote
If Bandai wants to build up again that Gundam is the best thing Japan has to offer the world, after the retreat of Bandai Entertainment and Gundam in the West, this is a good step.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
You guys need to remember that in the UK, G-Reco was licensed out to All the Anime as a one-shot, because I certainly don't think they were forced into picking up the entire Gundam catalog. So the possibility of someone like FUNi licensing the new series by itself may not totally be out of the question.

Rec G was licensed as a one-shot, but Anime Ltd. now has a distribution deal for the entirety (or at least most) of Gundam, as do RightStuf.

I find it incredibly hard to believe FUNi would accept a delaycast shared with Crunchyroll if they had licensed the series. This is a company that hoards streaming rights for territories where they have no intention of using them. A company that continues to buy UK rights to shows despite having no UK partner to distribute for them. FUNi is an aggressive business, there is no way in hell they'd accept such a shit deal if they licensed it.

As other posters have said, I think Sunrise has reached a deal with FUNi for streaming rights as they want it in as many locations as possible. It's worth noting that the Anime Ltd. deal is not a licence (and presumably RightStuf's isn't either), it is a distribution deal, meaning they collaborate more with Sunrise and Sunrise has a greater say in the product. Clearly Sunrise went for a deal and relationship that suited them, why would they give that up for IBO?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

just recent streaming things they've been working on it seems Bandai is finally serious about getting back into the West. Seriously no more of this making your show next to impossible to watch stuff, just maybe it has a chance at finding a Western audience now unlike Reconguista and Build Fighters.

Uggghhh no thank you. We've had like 20 years of Ocean Dubs for Gundam and not a single one of them has been good.

In fact the only good Gundam dub was Unicorn, and that's NYAV.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Animehermit wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Uggghhh no thank you. We've had like 20 years of Ocean Dubs for Gundam and not a single one of them has been good.

Hey, I remember the Gundam 00 being good! I only saw it once on TV, years ago, but still.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
The newer ones have been serviceable at best. Not a single one of them has been what I would call good.

I actually don't think I've ever encountered an Ocean dub I've ever liked. Ever.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I thought Ocean's dubs for the original Mobile Suit Gundam TV series and Char's Counterattack were both quite good. Gundam 00's dub was embarrassing, because it had a lot of good VAs, but they were totally phoning it in (you can't get Brad Swaile to suck unless you're truly not invested in the product). But I would agree that NYAV's Unicorn dub is the best English dub for a Gundam anime. Well, that and The Origin thus far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Of Ocean's dubs for Gundam, the original and CCA are the better of them for sure. It's not "good" but it's not something I'd immediately want to turn off right away.

Unicorn is the first dub in the franchises history that I'd watch over the subs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3