• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Sounds like this might appeal to the kind of folks who like the Style Savvy franchise. Personally, I adore decorating my house, so I might look into this. Anime hyper
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Sounds like this might appeal to the kind of folks who like the Style Savvy franchise. Personally, I adore decorating my house, so I might look into this. Anime hyper

I was actually thinking that I would snap up this game right away if it had only included wardrobe designing on top of home design. I *loved* collecting and making new outfits in New Leaf, but you can't force your neighbors to wear certain designs or anything (and they usually just cannot coordinate on their own...)

My frustration with designing homes in AC was always that it basically amounted to collecting furniture in a "set" (like the Lovely set or Harvest set) and the items were usually gaudy enough that you couldn't really mix and match and still have it look good. So you'd spend months trying to collect items just to have a house that was merely presentable. Plus there were so many quirky items like skeletons, urinals, Master Sword, etc that didn't really match any display but were too cool to get rid of (ok, maybe not the urinal so much, but it always made me laugh Laughing )

So my question about this game is, is designing a room basically amount to matching sets together, or is there a little more room for creativity?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
se37

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I got this game when I got the new Nintendo 3DS (it was the only way I could get the normal size on in the US) and didn't really have any attention in getting it. Since I got the same with my 3DS I decided to give it a try and boy it was worth it. I understand how people would get upset since it isn't a true Animal Crossing game. While I do admit the communication between two games is a big negative (as I want to see designs my sister did without taking her copy of the game away from her) this is stuff I like doing in the old game and really enjoyed it. It is very addictive when you get down to it.

If you take this away as a spin off then it is a fun game. I've seen too many reviewers bashing the game because it is not a true sequel to New Leaf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This game sounds perfect for me. My favorite part of AC was always the creative side, while I found the real-time, management-heavy life-sim aspects more of a frustration than anything.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
So my question about this game is, is designing a room basically amount to matching sets together, or is there a little more room for creativity?

You are given a theme for each villager's home, but it is not always - in fact, not even usually - restricted to a single set. A lot of them are more abstract than that. It's very fun for designers. I've had to think outside of the box a lot, whereas in past AC games I just made houses from themes/sets and furniture pieces I personally like.

The (disappointing to many) truth is that there are no standards for villager's homes whatsoever, aside from maybe the one or two objects that the villagers gave you in the house already (I've never tried removing them). They will like whatever you make them.

So there is no challenge whatsoever, but that also allows for freedom and low stress.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
This game sounds perfect for me. My favorite part of AC was always the creative side, while I found the real-time, management-heavy life-sim aspects more of a frustration than anything.

While playing this game, I've actually come to the realization that what I was doing in the "real" games was essentially waiting for interesting things to happen and that's probably why I bothered to put so much time into the old games...

The only thing I even remember doing in New Leaf at this point is going to that damn island for several nights in a row in order to grind money and I didn't even pay off the full house in the end.

I'm probably in the minority that enjoys this game a lot better than the main series since it seems to strip out a lot of the grindy crap associated with trying to collect things. All you really have to do to get stuff is to make a new house for a new villager and it's largely commitment free since all you have to do to satisfy their requirements is to drop the 2 or 3 pieces of furniture they provide for you into the house... you can just come back later and make them a better (and bigger) house when you acquire more stuff (and there is a LOT of stuff).

(on that note, it is a bit confusing as to how you make a house with second floors or basements... essentially, all you have to do is have the layout plan from the in-game guide book and ask to make a villager you previously designed a house for a new house)

And building large public places for my villagers is probably the most rewarding thing I've done in the series since you can cast everyone into cool roles where, for the most part, a villager (depending on which personality branch they come from, so there is a bit of reused dialog) will bring its unique personality into it.

(we find out that most villagers are awful teachers, for example)

As mayor in the old game, I barely felt like I was doing anything other than plugging all my hard earned money in for a bunch of crap that was only vaguely interesting. Here, I feel like I actually provided a life for all my virtual pals... even if they're still degenerates at the end of the day.

That said, I do kinda hate the amiibo integration and how I don't have an Isabelle card (I want her so bad that I'm actually preordering that Amiibo Festival game I wasn't even considering getting in order to get her). Like, if you want to have certain animals hang out at an animal's home, you NEED their card.

Amiibo cards are also used to determine the roles of the villagers in the public buildings. Otherwise, it's random and the most you can do is switch the roles of the animals the game put into the scene.

I think the worst part about all this is that even if I did have an Isabelle amiibo, I can't cast her into a role in the public buildings. So there will never be a nurse Isabelle, unfortunately.

(unless you count the building previews where they toss all the SP characters into the thing... but there's no unique dialog in those or whatever)

rizuchan wrote:
I *loved* collecting and making new outfits in New Leaf, but you can't force your neighbors to wear certain designs or anything (and they usually just cannot coordinate on their own...)

While you can't really change the type of clothing a villager wears (it's essentially a sleeveless shirt and any of the hats you have), you can actually force villagers in this game into specific pieces of clothing... and this includes textures you have designed.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I'll get this game sometime soon. Too bad people still shrug this off as being a part of Nintendo's "Year of Spinoffs".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
I find it weird that the amiibo figurines weren't released alongside Happy Home Designer. Does it use the amiibo figurines?

I actually was about to make an effort to go look for Mabel until I found out they weren't released yet.

rizuchan wrote:
Plus there were so many quirky items like skeletons, urinals, Master Sword, etc that didn't really match any display but were too cool to get rid of (ok, maybe not the urinal so much, but it always made me laugh Laughing )=

Any time I see a urinal randomly pop up in a work of fiction, I figure it's a reference to Marcel Duchamp's "Fountain." Maybe it's meant to be part of a modern-art theme, even if it's not officially part of a set...?

se37 wrote:
If you take this away as a spin off then it is a fun game. I've seen too many reviewers bashing the game because it is not a true sequel to New Leaf.

That sounds silly. It'd be like bashing a Mario RPG game for not being a true sequel to a Super Mario game, or bashing Crash Team Racing for not sharing gameplay with Crash Bandicoot platformers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1