• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NisiOisin to Print Monogatari's 2nd 'Off Season' Book in 2016

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
I know a lot of people are going to be ecstatic (Personally I'm not surprise because it's guaranteed sales like One Piece or Love Live) but isn't anyone getting tired of this series at this point? I caught the first season and Nekomonogatari Black which were an interesting diversion at the time that was off the beaten path for anime, but personally I dropped out years ago at the part where the main character started shoving a toothbrush down his sisters throat as she moaned in ecstasy. The shows really gross sense of fanservice and where to draw the line and get a move on was a pretty huge turnoff. I know that the whole point is supposed to be the dialogue, but IMO it just doesn't make compelling enough material for seasons and books on end, there needs to be a sense of purpose and a probable end point, but this franchise doesn't seem to have one in mind as it turns out.

It's generally poor form to say you're ending something and hype it up as this big going out party for a popular franchise and then just arbitrarily continue with it so soon after. I've heard of revivals of things years afterward when an author feels inspired to write more again, but that was barely a layoff of a year between the supposed final volume and this one and it seems like the next one won't take that long either making the whole Final season thing just seem like one big marketing stunt. I guess people just really really like reading this guys dialogue writing and don't particularly care if it goes anywhere or particularly develops the scenario for pages on end. It doesn't make much sense to me to want to follow a franchise like that indefinitely, but then I'm clearly not the target audience. Don't get me wrong I like dialogue, but I can't see something that is almost all that as a proper story.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
but isn't anyone getting tired of this series at this point?

nope and Owarimonogatari proved once again why
Kreion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
I know a lot of people are going to be ecstatic (Personally I'm not surprise because it's guaranteed sales like One Piece or Love Live) but isn't anyone getting tired of this series at this point? I caught the first season and Nekomonogatari Black which were an interesting diversion at the time that was off the beaten path for anime, but personally I dropped out years ago at the part where the main character started shoving a toothbrush down his sisters throat as she moaned in ecstasy. The shows really gross sense of fanservice and where to draw the line and get a move on was a pretty huge turnoff. I know that the whole point is supposed to be the dialogue, but IMO it just doesn't make compelling enough material for seasons and books on end, there needs to be a sense of purpose and a probable end point, but this franchise doesn't seem to have one in mind as it turns out.

It's generally poor form to say you're ending something and hype it up as this big going out party for a popular franchise and then just arbitrarily continue with it so soon after. I've heard of revivals of things years afterward when an author feels inspired to write more again, but that was barely a layoff of a year between the supposed final volume and this one and it seems like the next one won't take that long either making the whole Final season thing just seem like one big marketing stunt. I guess people just really really like reading this guys dialogue writing and don't particularly care if it goes anywhere or particularly develops the scenario for pages on end. It doesn't make much sense to me to want to follow a franchise like that indefinitely, but then I'm clearly not the target audience. Don't get me wrong I like dialogue, but I can't see something that is almost all that as a proper story.

No - you have entirely missed the point of the series. It's a character driven narrative which doesn't require any big plot, you missed out on Monogatari S2 so I can kind of see why you might not understand that but the other seasons also follow in this vein. It's about the growth and development of the characters above all else - that's the payoff.

Also just because you find the fanservice 'gross' it doesn't mean everyone does. You don't even have to find it arousing since it's designed to be so over the top that it's humorous. Again - you have missed the point so I can see why you might not like it, but that's your problem. Also why did you watch Neko Black before Nise? It aired after it and that's the intended time for you to read it...since it leads on to Neko White in the second season.

Also how can you say 'isn't anyone getting tired of it' when you don't even LIKE the series?!

Again, another point I have to add is that Monogatari has had 'off-season' books before(kinda) where Nisio just sloted in books and we've have short stories added on after Zoku-Owari. A book which, I should add, does nothing to further the 'plot' of the series which was wrapped up in Owari 3.

So no - I don't think it's fine for you as someone who dislikes it to attempt to pass judgement on if the series is dragging on or not.

As for me, I can say that I am hesitant about Orokamonogatari/other off season books since Zoku-Owari is the perfect place for the series to 'end' and I would prefer to either see NisiO focus on his other series, a new series, or do something REALLY interesting like write a monogatari book from the perspective of one of Araragi's parents.

And I can say that because I at least understand what I am complaining about - unlike you.
Julliant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
TL;DR stop liking things I don't like

If people want more Naruto, then I hope they get more. If it's something that brings them joy, then power to them, I see no need to petition for Naruto's ending or cancellation, or the need to "enlighten" these people with "inferior taste".

Replace Naruto with any other fictional work eg. SAO.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Some things need to end, Naruto was certainly one of them.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
It's a no from me too. I love monogatari and I don't want it to stop.

Then again, I'm surprised there are going to be more books. I just hope that vertical will release the other ones. But judging that they started with Kizumino, are they planning to release the series chronologically?
sakura8818

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
They already released the series chronologically. That's the reason why Hanamonogatari was only aired after the end of Monogatari S2, despite the fact that Hanamonogatari light novel was released like, in the middle of the Monogatari S2's light novels.

I can see the reason why they made Kizumonogatari a three part movie because there's no way they can slot anywhere into the anime since like, Kizumonogatari is the prequel to Bakemonogatari (and it was released after Bakemonogatari in terms of light novel).

So SHAFT and Simbo Akiyuki figured it would be better to make it a movie. Well, I love this series so I don't mind a little but more.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
@chito895

I suspect Vertical started with Kizumino either because it was the one book that hadn't been animated and people wanted to see what happened in it or because it was offered to them because the publisher knew the timing of the new movies. Probably a bit of both.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
@Alabastor Spectrum

Nope. I'm not tired of it. I hope they keep making more. This series is too good.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
I know a lot of people are going to be ecstatic (Personally I'm not surprise because it's guaranteed sales like One Piece or Love Live) but isn't anyone getting tired of this series at this point?

I am a big fan of the Monogatari anime (I have never read the novels), but I admit that I am a bit tired of this franchise. I do not find the fanservice gross, and I am aware that the story will probably never be a very interesting narrative experience.

To me that characters are the most important part of Monogatari. And after Second Season I got to know the main characters from all kinds of angles; I am not sure what else I need to learn from these characters. I do like Monogatari, but I do not want it to keep going for perpetuity.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
It's never going to end. TBH, I usually just avoid it. :/ I checked out a long time ago but as long as it sells, Nisio is probably gonna keep writing. (and Shaft will keep producing anime)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
I don't really mind Nisio milking Monogatari for all it's worth because it's the most easily accessible series he has. Were other, non-finished works of his animated I might've minded more, but right now from everything else he's doing there's no guarantee of an anime or manga adaptation, much less an English translation, so at least I'm getting more Nisio in Monogatari form.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Feelings are mixed. I do like Monogatari a lot but I think there should be a limit. I mean he already announced Zokuowari as the last book in the series so I was happy to know that the series would finally end and everyone would have their stories resolved well. But then this Off Season comes out and I don't really know anymore. I fcan't help but feel it's a bit of a cash grab and I wouldn't be surprised if Nishio Isin is just writing more Monogatari because he knows it will sell and SHAFT/Aniplex will continue making more money off of anime and merchandising sales. I don't know much about this new series but I'll give it a try to see if it actually has some kind of substance to it. I don't really know how much further he can develop the characters or expand the story.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
^
I love monogatari as well. But, yeah, I am kind of starting to worry about it never ending. The ending is paramount, as they say. I wanted Zoku to be the end. No more. Just that. If this Off-season was some kind of spinoff that had no consequence on the rest of the story, or happened in a different universe with the same characters, that would be fine. But don't make a series entitled Zoku Owari(The Final End) and then continue the freaking story beyond that... Rolling Eyes

I love NisiOisin and I want him to continue writing, but yeah, I think it's time for him to finish one of his greatest works and start something new.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
This is like any other series. As long as there is a market for it and the author continues to have new ideas to discuss (or old ideas to chew on indefinitely) it will continue. Since it is a commercial product the only thing that can be sure of stopping it is a lack of commercial success.

If you have reached your limit the answer is easy. Stop watching, buying and reading it. Eventually it will end if enough people do this. At that point you can check out the ending and hope the author didn't stop in mid story.

In the mean time, those who still find the story interesting and worth watching or reading will have something new.

For those of you who have an emotional tie to the series and want it to end while it is still good, I sympathize with you. However the story is the author's to do with as he wishes. If this means running it into the ground that is up to him as unfortunate as that may seem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2