• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Changelog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This thread will be used to post about user-visible changes made to the site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
It's now possible to create a user account without an email address when logging in through Facebook. Various bugs related to email-less accounts have been fixed. Note that without an email address you can't get password reminders or topic reply notifications.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Some minor changes for the official launch of ANN Southeast Asia. Added the "Southeast Asia" choice in the edition selector (at top of page), and additional forums for talback, etc.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
We're phasing out the .au and .uk domains; they will now redirect to the .com domain (and set the edition to au/uk accordingly)

Originally when we launched them the concept was very different. They were more like independently managed websites, each with their own content and the option to import stuff from ANN.com. But now we've shifted to a more integrated way of thinking were each edition is more like a user preference about what to display on the front page.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Font have been normalized to Arial/Helvetica throughout the site.

The reason is that due to evolution over the years, some pages were using Verdana/Geneva and some Arial/Helvetica, with no consistency in font sizes. Now we've standardized everything. Verdana was a font designed in 1996 to look good at 10px font-size on 640x480 CRT monitors with no anti-aliasing. Modern displays are bigger, have higher pixel density, anti-aliasing technology is widespread; they are much better suited for Arial.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
We removed the direct-access hostnames allowing to bypass Cloudflare (like www.d.animenewsnetwork.com)

Following the recent DDoS, we've decided that exposing our origin IPs like that was just too much of a security risk.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
We removed the direct-access hostnames allowing to bypass Cloudflare (like www.d.animenewsnetwork.com)

Following the recent DDoS, we've decided that exposing our origin IPs like that was just too much of a security risk.

I understand why you did that and sympathize. However, it immediately put me back to having random log offs in mid session. I can cope, but it is irritating. If you find a solution let me know.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
[Hmm, I completely forgot to update this in quite a while]

Just added a "infinite scroll" feature to News and Interest articles. Like many other news sites do, when scrolling past the end of the current article, a new one will be displayed.

We've also optimized images to be loaded only when they come into view. This may cause images to appear a fraction of a second after scrolling, but it should be a big help to people with slower connections (like mobile devices).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
We've fixed some visual issues with the infinite scroll articles, making the result much smoother. Also added infinite scroll to columns.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
We removed the po.st sharing features. So right now there's no easy way to share ANN articles on Twitter, Facebook, etc. You will have to do it the "old fashion way" by copying the URL or the 4nn.cx short url.

We'll bring in a replacement feature in the near future, or build our own (that will take longer).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
We merged the UK, Australia, and SEA subforums into the general forums.
(since they were almost dead anyway)

We removed the UK edition, and added a "World" edition that displays the news about any country we write about.
(because of the GDPR )
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
We're phasing out the .au and .uk domains; they will now redirect to the .com domain (and set the edition to au/uk accordingly)

When I visit:

animenewsnetwork.com/contact

I see:

Quote:

Newsroom
News Submissions, Press Releases, etc: [email protected]

Before sending us a press release, make sure it is formatted properly and easy for us to import onto the site. If you're sending us a press release and not familiar with how to properly format a press release, read this. Press releases have a very specific format guide, and most people who think they know how to format them... don't. Press releases are only for companies, they aren't necessary if you're just submitting a news item.

Do not submit news in the forum

, ANN's news staff does not (and couldn't possibly) read every single post in the forum. Send it to us by e-mail at the address above, we read that before doing the news every day.
Editors
Questions about the website, letters to the editors, writing samples, comments, corrections and other general mail: [email protected]

The .com.au addresses bounce.

Could this page please be re-checked and fixed?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Completely overhauled the menus on mobile:

desktop:

mobile-landscape:

mobile-portrait:

mobile menu
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
That looks so much easier to handle...

[edit] OMG, the forum link takes me directly to the forums, rather than having to select 2 options! THANK YOU SO MUCH DAN!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2