• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Negima's Akamatsu Details How TPP Will Affect Dōjinshi, Niconico

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
One of the main problems with the TPP is that it's been done in secret with no one actually knowing what it says. But the politicians pushing it keep saying 'don't worry.... it's all good'. Even Obama is handing out the spiked cool-aid.

What has come out is actually pretty terrifying. Giving wide powers to abuse copyright powers on behalf of the organizations that should never wield such powers.

One of the main concerns is giving the government powers to shut down any website for pretty much any reason it sees fit. It pretty much over rules the FCC on reclassifying the internet to protect it and destroy net neutrality. But again no one is certain what it actually has in it and that's the scariest part of all.

On the other side of the continent there is also the TPIP or something like that (I forget the exact acronym). But France just walked away saying the trade agreement only benefits American Corporations and tramples on the rights of other countries and their populace.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
Seems the J-government already released the TPP contents:

http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/tpp/pdf/2015/10/151005_tpp_gaiyou.pdf
Kevelinu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Seems the J-government already released the TPP contents:

http://www.cas.go.jp/jp/tpp/pdf/2015/10/151005_tpp_gaiyou.pdf

So does it include/affect Doujinshi work?
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
It's not going to kill the doujin market (in general), its just going to put a stop to those doujin artists that makes a profit off other people's works. Like those making hentai titles of well-known series.

That is what I was thinking.
Even if this gets as bad as some people fear it will it still will not affect original work, only parodies that obviously violate a copyright. A good artist could probably make something that is close enough to the original for fans to recognize and enjoy it, but not close enough to be obvious. A lot of parody doujinshi is like that now.

Also, prosecuting people costs money. I doubt that the Japanese government could afford to go after every doujinshi artist, even if they wanted to.
My personal feeling is that copyright enforcement is not intended to stop doujinshi, it is intended to stop piracy.
An artist making a comic of Usopp doing the nasty with Nami is not a problem. A web site providing scans of the One Piece tankobons is a problem.

The government should be going after the web site not the artist.
Of course governments, like individuals, do not always do what they should be doing.
But, in general, I think that it is much to early to be concerned about this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:
It's not going to kill the doujin market (in general), its just going to put a stop to those doujin artists that makes a profit off other people's works. Like those making hentai titles of well-known series.

That is what I was thinking.
Even if this gets as bad as some people fear it will it still will not affect original work, only parodies that obviously violate a copyright. A good artist could probably make something that is close enough to the original for fans to recognize and enjoy it, but not close enough to be obvious. A lot of parody doujinshi is like that now.

Also, prosecuting people costs money. I doubt that the Japanese government could afford to go after every doujinshi artist, even if they wanted to.
My personal feeling is that copyright enforcement is not intended to stop doujinshi, it is intended to stop piracy.
An artist making a comic of Usopp doing the nasty with Nami is not a problem. A web site providing scans of the One Piece tankobons is a problem.

The government should be going after the web site not the artist.
Of course governments, like individuals, do not always do what they should be doing.
But, in general, I think that it is much to early to be concerned about this.
thousands if not millions of people,upload illegal all the time even if the TPP takes ,effect in 10 years,new ways of uploading illegal will emerge,this not going to stop piracy at all even a guy named alpha omagesin said,Stuff like the TPP just motives hackers to do more.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
{animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1529787 ~nobahn}

I remember that, TPP is not going to kill piracy, it's going to kill doujin and possibly importing.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
{animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1529787 ~nobahn}

LOL I just realized something as well whats going to happen to wiki for anime ? are those sits copyright as well ? some anime need those wiki since they have very long and complex plots and character info
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
Let's be honest, the real problem with getting anime legally is not a monthly fee, but the very limited country availability and the long wait for new series. I really tried to only watch legally bought dvds for a while, but waiting three years then paying £60 for a series is ridiculous. I'm from the UK so a lot of Crunchyroll's library is unavailable to me.

That's irrelevant though. It should be up to the copyright holder how their own works are used. It's definitely wrong for anyone else to think they can claim authority.

Also I believe wikis are under fair use laws. You can use copyrighted material for nonprofit educational or illustrative purposes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3