• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Giant Robo and the Beautiful Night

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm still finding it ridiculous that nobody's licensed this again. Great article but every praise of it makes me wish for a rescue from Discotek. I know the DVDs are relatively easy to come across but OOP stuff never stays cheap for long and I curse Media Blasters for having to drop the license.
rustypwns

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Incredible article. Everything about this classic is amazing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Very thought provoking.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This is the best article I've read on Anime News Network in a long time. Giant Robo having such thematic density, I never thought to tackle the topic of the subject of light and darkness. I was always hung up on the father-son dynamics and the question, "Can happiness be achieved without making sacrifice?" posited by Daisaku's father. Kudos to the writer.

I really feel like Yasuhiro Imagawa doesn't get nearly enough attention, either here or in Japan. Giant Robo, G Gundam, Tetsujin 28, and Shin Mazinger are all excellent shows in their own right, and he's one of my favorite anime directors.

I really ought to revisit Giant Robo again. I bought that giant, cumbersome Eye of Vogler set at a convention years ago. The DVDs are currently in CD sleeves, though, because the jewel cases broke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
One of the few anime series that is near-perfect in both content and execution. I still have that silly "Eye of Vogler" DVD container staring at me from atop the cupboard. I hope to see a decent HD release for it one day.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
That was fantastic.

Such a great show. I loved the hell out of this OVA series.

The story, characters, animation, and the soundtrack.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
Great article on what is one of the best, yet most ignored (at least in the West) anime out there. A simple yet complex narrative, a pervasive feeling of tragedy, memorable characters and a soundtrack for the ages (Gaetano Donizetti's arias have never sounded so sweet).

Hope, wish, pray that Diskotek or Animeigo might rescue this and give us a BD release
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Hope, wish, pray that Diskotek or Animeigo might rescue this and give us a BD release

Has AnimEigo ever done license rescues?
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Excellent analysis. Your thesis really nails the contrasts happening between the lines of this classic anime. Very well done and appreciated.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Great article. I also never thought of it's use of Light and Darkness though it sure seems so obvious now.

Either way, GR is such a fantastic anime. Just one of the best plotted, written, and directed anime out there. It's so overlooked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese Blu-ray has the Dub just no subs. The dub will be the Original US Renditions/Manga Dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1