• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Space Dandy, Dimension W, Overlord, Boy & the Beast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shuusei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
eh, a disappointing group of announcements for me. Not really interested in any of those.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Called Overlord being licensed ever since the anime premiered. It's no coincidence SAO, Danmachi, and Log Horizon all got licensed relatively quickly too. Mmorpg genre is hot right now.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
This is a very "meh" selection of licenses from Yen Press, especially compared to Viz Media's announcements. While Dimension W is probably the license I'm most excited about (I love a good sci-fi and this one fits the bill), the licensing of Overlord is also pretty darn awesome for fans of that series.

I'm just kind of disappointed that there were no licenses for Gate (in any form), the Rokka light novels, or even the Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon spinoff. Each of these seem right up Yen Press' alley, but I'm not always right about that Wink

Other than those, The Boy and the Beast is one to keep an eye on, I love Mamoru Hosoda's work, and I'm curious about Psycome, but feel like it may be a little to "moe" for my tastes. If it turns out to be a great thriller, I'd gladly change my tune, but until then... Yeah...

The remaining manga licenses, Scumbag Loser, Space Dandy, Corpse Party and Unhappy Go Lucky, really don't interest me at all, which is too bad. Yen Press frequently has a ton of manga that I am excited for, but right now it seems more like Viz Media's announcements from NYCC are far more up my alley than Yen Press'.
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
My friend and I were talking about this last night and we both thought Rokka and Overlord were the two favorites for licensing from Yen Press. I guess the poor sales in Japan scared them off of Rokka.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Scumbag Loser is one of the most deranged manga out there. I wonder how Yen's going to manage the cover art since some of the volumes feature characters covered in what appears to be ... well, let's just say bodily fluid.

Nice to see the novelization of The Boy and the Beast. We need more LNs that aren't Gary Stu otaku fantasies.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what everyone says!! Corpse Party and Scumbag Loser are my personal favorites!! Can't wait!!!
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:

I'm just kind of disappointed that there were no licenses for Gate (in any form), the Rokka light novels, or even the Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon spinoff. Each of these seem right up Yen Press' alley, but I'm not always right about that Wink

I think the nationalism in GATE might have scared them off(also GATE's manga adaptation has already been licensed by Sekai Project as their first manga title), I can see Rokka getting licensed somewhere down the line but hopefully not too far in the future since it's probably not getting a second season and interest will decrease the longer they wait. I can't really speak for the Dungeon spinoff as I've never really been a fan of the series.

All in all this was a bit disappointing but you have to remember that they can't license everything at once, over-saturation was one of the big factors in the anime/manga industry crash several years back and hopefully they've learned from it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Even if the Space Dandy manga debuted a few weeks before the anime (likely to promote/tie-in), the manga still was technically released first.

Just for once, I wish to know the name of an anime where it was released first followed by the manga and this is a reverse filler-complaint. That is, reverse the complaints people have of an anime having filler and apply to where the manga isn't following the anime more faithfully.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
KamikazeJawa wrote:

I think the nationalism in GATE might have scared them off(also GATE's manga adaptation has already been licensed by Sekai Project as their first manga title), I can see Rokka getting licensed somewhere down the line but hopefully not too far in the future since it's probably not getting a second season and interest will decrease the longer they wait. I can't really speak for the Dungeon spinoff as I've never really been a fan of the series.

All in all this was a bit disappointing but you have to remember that they can't license everything at once, over-saturation was one of the big factors in the anime/manga industry crash several years back and hopefully they've learned from it.

I hadn't heard about Sekai Project licensing the Gate manga, my complaint there wouldn't have even popped up if I had known.

As to over-saturation, I can understand that. Doesn't change my opinion that Yen Press had the weaker announcements (except Dimension W, which is an awesome series) compared to Viz Media, with Yona, Haikyuu!! and KnB, but I can understand not licensing everything at once.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I like The New Gate better than overlord, I hope they license it soon , too
jimmydip

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for High School HxH light novels, and Sekirei in print.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Same Dimpypip
Yuu~

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like I'll get 2 more light novels and 1 more manga for my shelf. *smirk*
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Viz definitely win NYCC in terms of manga announcements.

This seems to be more of the same for Yen Press. Guess MMORPG & fanservice-y stuff is working for them. Not for me but good for people into those series.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Damn, that Corpse Party cover....

Anyway, i'm personally looking forward to Dimension W. It sounds interesting and I like the other works by the author.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2