• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation to Produce A Silent Voice Film With Director Naoko Yamada

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Mixed feelings about this. I think they are working on another anime as well (Phantom World).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
On the one hand this will look AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAZINGBALLS HOLY FRICK GUHYZ!!! but on the other hand I don't really trust that Director with this material and I'm extremely worried about any possible sanitation it'll get. I'll always have the manga but still...
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings too. I haven't read this manga because I was waiting for the film and then I could read the manga on Crunchy. But KyoAni?

I love this manga's art style and I hope KyoAni doesn't change it completely.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
The rushed ending of the series pissed me off and killed any interest I had in an anime adaptation. Hearing KyoAni is going to do the movie changes things though. I'll definitely give it a watch now.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
Was really hoping for ComiXWave to do this. But hell KyoAni adapting my FAV series of all time? I'll take that for sure!!
navycherub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
Naoko Yanada directing? A+
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Well, the main gripe I've heard about the manga is that there is melodrama to pad it and that the end feels rushed. Personally, I've not read the whole thing yet, as I'm getting the physical releases (have read 1 and 2, 3 sitting on my shelf to read).

If these really are the main issues with the manga, might mean to have the story condensed in a movie is a good thing. Still, I look forward to being able to checking this one out...hopefully.

The only KyoAni movie I've seen is Haruhi. I hope to see Tamako Love Story, but have my doubts that anyone is bringing that one over. I'd have to say the same thing for the 2nd Beyond the Boundary movie.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Hope they adapted the one-shot manga, because it is way better than manga series
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, KyoAni as animation studio and Naoko Yamada as director is the best thing which could have happened to a full lenght movie of Koe no Katachi. KyoAni's animators are great when it comes to animate small details in characters' movements while simultaneously staying on-model with cute character designs, paired with some gorgeous background art and ambient light effects. Moreover, Naoko Yamada and her staff are very talented in telling coming of age stories with comedic character interactions and some bittersweet nostalgia for youth (Tamako Love story was great in that regard, but also the K-ON movie). This time, the focus will be less on comedy and more on (melo)drama, but I think Naoko Yamada and KyoAni will be up for the challenge. The only thing which worries me a bit is how they will condense the story to fit into a 2 hour movie. Maybe it's only a prelude to a possible TV series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only thing which worries me a bit is how they will condense the story to fit into a 2 hour movie. Maybe it's only a prelude to a possible TV series?

It's possible i'd say. It will be hard but the series is loved in Japan and KyoAni well respected. They'll give it all they got. Really interested to see how they handle the adaptation.[/quote]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
Excellent news Very Happy
More of KyōAni's animation & art style is always a good thing.
-Ana-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
I like the art style that the manga has so I'm sad that it's KyoAni because they will change the art style.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Nice. If it was a TV-series I might've been a little more worried that it would get too KyoAni'd, but with a movie they don't have enough time to make anime-original characters, but plenty of time and money to animate it beautifully. Story-wise my opinion on Koe no Katachi is that it has a great start then starts waning and never comes back to greatness, but with a condensed movie I'm hoping they'll either cut the fat or just end it at the manga's start-to-middle point.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
It's a good combination in my opinion. Looking forward to this eventually working it's way to North America.

Mark Gosdin
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
The only thing which worries me a bit is how they will condense the story to fit into a 2 hour movie. Maybe it's only a prelude to a possible TV series?

Not necessarily. A 2-hour movie translates to roughly 6 episodes, probably more once you detract op, ed, cliff-hangers, fillers, recaps and previews of hypothetical episodes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3