• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Edited-For-Television Versions Of Anime Get Preserved?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I was told that in Brazil the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime aired during a children's timeslot and received a hackjob of a dub. I can't seem to find any proof, but Brazillians insist it's real and some episodes were even released on DVD.

This is just something I need to see.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I remember the one Sailor Moon S episode featuring Mimette and some villain was censored cause the monster of the day had starfish over her breasts....or didn't? I can't exactly remember but it was censored when aired. Not sure if it shows on the DVD edit.

All this is taking me back to the days when vh-1 aired Showgirls with the horrible digitally painted underwear and bras.
The episode was actually skipped during the initial broadcast of the S season because they didn't finish editing it in time for some reason but they aired it during the reruns by digitally editing her outfit with a bikini. The same thing happene with an episode in the SuperS season where they weren't able to edit a monster's outfit in time.

Quote:
Wow, has the pendulum turned! I remember when localization companies got lambasted at every corner for every little thing they did, and now you havw anime fans looking for these edited versions. Who would've predicted that back in the day?
I think a lot of the outrage back in the day was moreso due to the lack of an official uncut version that was available for the fans to buy. If alternative uncut versions of a lot of these edited dub shows was always available from the start, I doubt there would have been as much outrage over them. Nowadays most of these shows like Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and DBZ now have official uncut releases that are easily available for American fans to get, even in HD on Blu Ray, so it's easier for fans to enjoy the earlier edited dubs without feeling as guilty about enjoying them for their differences.

Quote:

I wanted to really quickly chime in as to what happens to these tapes from at least the broadcasters end. I've been working in television for years now and while there's slight differences to how certain networks preserve things, they all pretty much save everything they air. I also went through getting stuff from our archive for the upcoming IGPX release. (I currently work for Turner Broadcasting, by the way)
Thanks for chiming in the thread with your expertise! So if the networks save everything they're given, does that mean Cartoon Network still has that heavily edited version of Eva they aired briefly during Giant Robot week on Toonami? I missed that when it was aired and as a big Eva fan, I was always curious to see how that turned out.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, I doubt anyone would have a problem finding all 70 episodes of "Cardcaptors," the heavily-edited English version of Cardcaptor Sakura, floating around on YouTube.

Some other sites I watch dub stuff on have some but not all of this stuff. This series too as well was on a streaming site. It just depends.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I was told that in Brazil the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist anime aired during a children's timeslot and received a hackjob of a dub. I can't seem to find any proof, but Brazillians insist it's real and some episodes were even released on DVD.

This is just something I need to see.

I confirm its existence, and I do have the boxset with the censored final episodes (basically the series was released in 4 boxsets, and for some unfathomable reason only the last one was released in censored form. There was never a recall or reprint, though later they released the whole show uncut in a single set).

It's a very rough kind of censorship, tho; almost no digital painting. Mostly straight up cutting of scenes, sometimes by slowing down the scene that comes before it (so that dialogue would be preserved and the soundtrack didn't skip)
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
I was curious about that too. I recall wanting to introduce my aunt and her daughter to Tenchi Muyo once because they were just getting into anime and I wanted to keep it family friendly so I ended up having to connect my old VCR and play the VHS from back when it was airing on Toonami. I think for stuff like that VHS may be the only option. I recall back when Yu Yu Hakusho was on in the early 200's if I wanted to own some episodes you had to choose between DVD VHS and edited and unedited. My memory of that stuff is really fuzzy though. I doubt you could get something edited like that on DVD unless no other version existed.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Still got some of the old Sailor Moon DiC dub!!! Anime hyper Ofc this was obtained via... questionable means lol in all fairness I did tape them off TV religiously when I was 14/15 but there are always these! Even if they didn't include all the episodes

mmm 90's pink prismatic shinyness. I didn't hold onto much stuff from my childhood but I could never part with those.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
supersqueak wrote:
I was curious about that too. I recall wanting to introduce my aunt and her daughter to Tenchi Muyo once because they were just getting into anime and I wanted to keep it family friendly so I ended up having to connect my old VCR and play the VHS from back when it was airing on Toonami. I think for stuff like that VHS may be the only option. I recall back when Yu Yu Hakusho was on in the early 200's if I wanted to own some episodes you had to choose between DVD VHS and edited and unedited. My memory of that stuff is really fuzzy though. I doubt you could get something edited like that on DVD unless no other version existed.

I did buy a DVD box set of Tenchi Muyo! shortly after it aired, but I don't remember for sure if it had the digital bikinis and such. It's stashed somewhere in the house. I could go look for it and check if it's edited or not if you want.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
I do miss the ABS-CBN Tagalog dub of Magic Knight Rayearth, even though the GMA/Telesuccess dub was technically more faithful (none of Kodansha's alternate names for the main characters) and less censored (if not uncensored).

Wonder if the show was pre-censored by the Japanese side, given that the "international" version of the first opening animation was an extra on the U.S. DVDs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:34 am Reply with quote
In terms of "edited for TV", Toonami/Adult Swim has gotten looser (From what I've seen). Just look at SAO II and Parasyte: "S---" has been uttered and some gruesome violence.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
JEArgumedo wrote:
As has already been pointed out, Williams Street brought out their tape library for the Toonami April Fool's joke, and no, FUNi, nor Bandai sent those tapes over, they dug those out of their storage.

But the episode of DBZ that aired on April Fool's had the narrator from the DVD version instead of the narrator Funimation was using when the Cell Games aired on TV. Confused
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I did buy a DVD box set of Tenchi Muyo! shortly after it aired, but I don't remember for sure if it had the digital bikinis and such. It's stashed somewhere in the house. I could go look for it and check if it's edited or not if you want.

I'm 99% sure it didn't. Edited Tenchi may have been put out on VHS (but don't quite me on that), but all of Geneon's DVDs were uncut.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Cardcaptor Sakura was only really bad in the English dub because it was utterly distilled to make it overly kid friendly. Never had a problem with the voice acting personally.

I appreciated that they got some actual kids to do at least some of the voices.

Exalted Incarnate wrote:
I'm fine with censored anime, but I hate it when my favorite action scenes are censored to make it seem less brutal, and when the blood and gore is taken out it really gets me annoyed Mad

Are you not aware you are contradicting yourself?

CCTakato wrote:
That's not entirely accurate though. Geneon also produced an uncut English dub of the Sealed Card movie they released on DVD which had professional American anime VAs and was entirely uncut.

That was released as Cardcaptor Sakura, not Cardcaptors. The first movie dub (with the Cardcaptors cast) was technically uncut, although the script was heavily modified in places.

Quote:
For some reason though, NIS and Discotek are still ignoring the existence of the second movie and have yet to rescue license it and I have no idea why, considering it's the actual ending for the anime.

Not having released it is not the same as ignoring it. The TV series and the two movies are all with different licensors so there may be unique circumstances regarding the second that.

Desa wrote:
This reminded me of that episode of Rail Wars (I think it was episode 4) where the TV version was significantly less censored than the blu-ray version. One of those rare cases where the TV version has more than the disc version. There are also some rare cases where a TV broadcast has better picture quality than a disc release, so it would be a shame to lose those recordings.

I used to obsessively download raws of pretty much everything airing, and one of the reasons was because the DVD version may be different. It got to be too much, and when streaming really took off I gave it up.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is it worth mentioning that he was also consistently referred to as "Li" rather than "Shaoran"? They do spell it as "Li" though and not as "Lee" as I would've expected though.

Officially for the dub, his name was "Li Showron", with Li being his first name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
supersqueak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
supersqueak wrote:

I don't think they put painted bikinis on in the DVD I never owned it myself but back in the mid 00's we had an anime store that rented out DVDs in my neighborhood and I was pretty sure the characters were in the buff.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
One of the better TV edits I've seen would be Samurai Champloo since Geneon used record scratches instead of beeps to edit language, which fit with the show itself. Honestly, I thought the record scratches instead of swearing was a stylistic choice that was actually part of the show until I bought the first DVD. Since beeps are the standard way of editing language without recording a sanitized version, I guess I assumed at the time that nobody would bother getting a little creative with the audio.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Darkabomination wrote:
I wish the uncut dub of CCS was taken out and released if the masters still exist. Odds are though if they could they would have released it on the blueray. Just sucks knowing there's an uncut version out there somewhere.

If you're talking about the Animax dub, it was released by Animax last year.

And by Discotek in the US.
And currently streaming on Crunchyroll Premium. Not too bad, actually. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6