• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I think because VDM goes straight for the crash shamelessness and full nudity, there's zero pretense. It's not acting like it's something better than it is. I don't know if that gets those kind of people riled up the same way.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
For the first episode, at least, Valkyrie Drive is the opposite of controversial. It pretty much delivers what it promises and the animators might just be in on the joke when it comes to ridiculous boob physics. It otherwise doesn't having anything gross, offensive, or shocking for the kind of show that was expected. The biggest surprise of VD is how not-gross it is relative to other shows of its type and some potentially interesting subtext, if not necessarily overt themes.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, after having seen the first episode of VDM, I can't imagine it stirring up much controversy. It is what it is and doesn't try to push anyone's buttons. (And while I did include some references to Cross Ange in my preview, as certain aspects of the set-up are very reminiscent of CA, they were not intended to refer to its controversial aspects.) The censoring, while annoying, is hardly crippling; there are other series in the past year which have gotten hit much worse by it. At least in this case you can still tell exactly what's going on.

And yes, it will be previewed. Since it came up late, its previews probably won't start showing up until late Wednesday morning (American East Coast time).

And now the debate with myself begins about whether or not I actually want to do streaming reviews for this one. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it would kind of suck to be forced to write it up based on FUNi's censored streams, the nudity is pretty damn prominent here, and they put effort into giving every character unique anatomies. Like I said, people weren't looking forward to this show for its fight choreography or world building, those are vehicles for the fanservice; them being decent are just added benefits. Though, I am curious about a few of the characters and their backgrounds, like Lady J and Rain, so it's not entirely a one track pursuit, I hope the show can have and deliver it all.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
And worry not, there will be. And it will go by the name of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid. I mean seriously, I only saw a GIF thus far, but I think Cross Ange might be considered angelical by comparison. The Earth will burn... or at least ANN will.

Cross Ange only caused a shit storm in the preview guide because apparently some viewers were under the impression she was raped. VDM doesn't really leave any wrong conclusions to jump to. It isn't like heavy fan service on its own causes much discussion. Testament Burst has plenty, including incest with a 13 year old, and no one really cared much there.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
The 2nd episode of Concret Rev looked a little more kiddy to me but I will see if it becomes too kiddy for my tastes.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, I tired to watch Valkyrie Drive- Mermaid

Emphasis on "tried" as the show's overt trashy nature made it difficult to stomach

I may not have much of a leg to stand on since I was one of the people who thought that Cross Ange was more exploitative than "trashy" but what little I saw of Valkyrie Drive was all mediocrely animated male centric lesbianism with no real emotion or connection between the cast.

Lesbianism can be done well but it damn well be emotive and personal rather than simple wank fuel

Then again, i'm one of those people that believe that anime should rid itself of it's more base entertainment and focus more on thematic works.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The real problem with VDM's first episode is not the trashiness of its premise but the awfulness of its execution combined with absolutely no semblance of plot.

So special girls are kidnapped and sent to an island. How are they special? Who knows. Why are they kidnapped? For reasons, that's why.

When the girls arrive they are to be tested to see how powerful they are and if they are Exters or Liberators. But co-lead Mamori had no idea about any of that.

And no matter which one she was, without a partner there was no way for her to actually fight, something the organisation running the island clearly should have known.

To make things worse, both she and Mirei are attacked with live ammunition. The bullets and missile are clearly intended to hit them despite neither girl having transformed into a weapon the other girl could use. I thought the whole point was to test them, not kill them.

What an awful, terrible show.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

So special girls are kidnapped and sent to an island. How are they special? Who knows. Why are they kidnapped? For reasons, that's why.

Because its normal to explain everything in the first episode.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Key wrote:
Actually this a pretty short preview thread because no new series has caused big controversy this season. When one does (and usually there's at least one), post counts of 750+ are typical.

And worry not, there will be. And it will go by the name of Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid. I mean seriously, I only saw a GIF thus far, but I think Cross Ange might be considered angelical by comparison. The Earth will burn... or at least ANN will.

Nope, unless some people are going to rage over a show that's done and over with. So far this is nothing like the parts of CA that got things riled up. Just boobs and girls feeling each other up. Its a tad on the boring side because you know...its just boobs and girls feeling each other up. Maybe they'll be a plot or at least some comedy bits added in episode 2.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Disingenuous, much?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Disingenuous, much?

Or, you know, not cramming the entire exposition into the first episode is also a valid narrative method.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Disingenuous, much?

Its a good thing you can understand sarcasm.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why anyone worked up over VD. It unashamed trash,and it just rolls with the ridiculous premise. Compared to something like Cross Ange,which tires to be a serious show,and an exploitation show(not really a smart idea to do both).
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
And now Hameyadea is being disingenuous too. Him and Rederoin should form a club.

And Rederoin, it was obvious that your post was sarcastic i.e. that you meant the opposite of what you said. That's the problem. There was no need to use sarcasm if you weren't trying to attack me. You were falsely representing my position.

I never said I wanted all the information in the first episode. To claim that I did is outright lying, even though my post which clearly disproves said lie is just above.

What the first episode of VDM needed but never got is some background information about the setting and the plot. This information does not need to come as spoken exposition, and in fact I prefer the "show, don't tell" method of storytelling. In fact, one of the main reasons I dropped Heavy Object was because of the absolutely terrible and endlessly-delivered exposition that made me want to throw the main character off a cliff.

I don't know why you lied but it really doesn't matter. Don't do it again or I'll report you. Or, if you feel you must lie because of a pathological compulsion, then do so in the VDM discussion thread, which - trust me - is not a place I'm likely to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 37