• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Breaking Wind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
Gokukoku no Brynhildr may have been trash but damn I love those OPs so much. Not sure why they changed it like 10 episodes into a one cour show but I didn't complain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
The brynhildr(anime) was full of severe criticism in Japan.The sales are the worst, too.On the other hand, the comics version has high popularity.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Is Windy Tales streaming anywhere? I want to check it out!

Loved Gabriella's vicious takedown of Brynhildr, even though I never saw it. "Baby women" cracked me up.

My favorite violent horror anime is Shiki. I'm not sure if it would be considered "ultraviolent," but it sure is creepy.
DLH112

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
for anyone wondering what was up with the OP change in brynhildr/why the last 3 episodes seemed so rushed, its because it skipped about 20-30 chapters of the manga. The OP change is exactly where it skips too. I was sad when it aired because it skipped over the part i was looking forward to the most Sad .
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Aww, no more shelves, but I thought there would always be shelves to show, fresh ones even, but I guess sooner or later that there would be a break from it once in a while, but it'll come back. X3

In situations like these, we demand puppy or kitty pics!!! Small cute birds are acceptable too

Yeah, but I am too a kitty (see avatar pic), but not in the literal sense, lol.

I mean, I got shelves to share if I wanted, but not in the condition yet to make the pics kinda presentable. Maybe one day...(if necessary). ^^;
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader I DESPISE the Brynhildr anime. I hope the person who wrote this "adaptation" never works on another anime in his life. IT.WAS.SHIT!

http://i62.tinypic.com/aajhpj.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/dzh2yh.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/rro7zn.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ywveq1.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/263aowh.jpg

Last edited by DmonHiro on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Edit: why doesn't the spoiler tag work?

Only works with text.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Is Windy Tales streaming anywhere? I want to check it out!

Loved Gabriella's vicious takedown of Brynhildr, even though I never saw it. "Baby women" cracked me up.

My favorite violent horror anime is Shiki. I'm not sure if it would be considered "ultraviolent," but it sure is creepy.

Brynhildr's manga is actually pretty good IMO, but the anime is such an incompetent adaptation that I have to go as far back as Kekkaishi to find another good manga that was so poorly adapted.

That being said, I didn't appreciate Gabriella taking repeated digs at Elfen Lied. I understand you don't like it but don't make those who do (and there's a LOT of those who do) feel like scum because they like it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Having read the review, I have to ask if the reviewer was even paying attention to the show, as there are several large inaccuracies.

1. "All of the girls fall in love with and sacrifice themselves for the main character". That's false. Only two fall in love with him, and they don't sacrifice themselves for him. It's pretty much the other way around.

2. "Kazumi Schlierenzaur, really wants to bone Ryouta for some reason"
That reason was pretty much spelled out for you: spoiler[she's dying and want to see what it's like.]

3. "only to be rejected due to her small breasts". What the hell are you talking about? That's not why he rejected her.

4. "It's presented as a Normal Thing that Happens, totally without judgment to the john" Seriously? No, it's not presented as a "totally normal thing that happens". The john, Kurofuki, was Nanami's handler, had already seen her naked before (he mentioned this), and was more curious then anything. What judgment were you expecting?
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I love Windy Tales so much, and am shocked but delighted to see it released here in the US. It was so under-noticed when it came out. Anyone who liked Eccentric Family would enjoy this I think. It's lighter on the fantasy than that series, but has that 'just around the corner you might find something very unexpected ' feel.

Plus, flying kitties!

It was only fansubbed by a tiny group when it came out, never licensed, so the only places it might be streaming would be illegal. But maybe now that it's licensed Hulu or Netflix might get it!
FoxgloveLove

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand, I've sent my shelves into that e-mail twice over the last six months, and this is the second time that I've heard them say that there are no shelves to show without having them be shown :/ . I wonder what's going on...
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Having read the review, I have to ask if the reviewer was even paying attention to the show, as there are several large inaccuracies.

Having read the review, I'd say the answer is either that, no, the reviewer was not paying attention, or perhaps listened to the English dub which was mangled... oh, but then there's wasn't an English dub. Well, there's your answer then.

I've come to admire the reviews here at ANN, though, I must admit. They're almost 100% the opposite of my own opinion.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
Having read the review, I'd say the answer is either that, no, the reviewer was not paying attention, or perhaps listened to the English dub which was mangled... oh, but then there's wasn't an English dub. Well, there's your answer then.

But it does have a dub, I greatly look forward to enjoying it Anime smile or was that a quip on the When Marnie Was There review? haha

I'll leave people I sound stupid (Probably too late don't judge me Anime hyper :3 )
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Even as someone who liked Elfen Lied, I can't recommend Brynhildr or object to it being classified as Perishable. Gabriella may have even understated how much of a mess it becomes in its later stages.

Still, I might check out a dubbed episode or two, as Jamie Marchi being Kuroha intrigues me.

same here. having jamie as kuroha is definitely one role you should watch. though what can you expect from her. a top not performance even though the series itself is 50/50 depending on who you ask.

however i would definitely put it as rental instead of perishable. sure it was definitely rushed and is inferior in storytelling compared to elfen lied and not much in the horror department compared to the higurashi series, but it was a solid take for a weekend & had a decent climax unlike in elfen where there were still more questions than answers.especially for those that haven't read the manga.

and its graphic violence wasnt as offensive as elfen lied which definitely pushed it towards the point where some people was gonna give it the softcore h category. so yea,its nothing to write about,but it definitely isnt bad at the slightest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
wastrel wrote:

But it does have a dub, I greatly look forward to enjoying it Anime smile or was that a quip on the When Marnie Was There review? haha

I'll leave people I sound stupid (Probably too late don't judge me Anime hyper :3 )
Ah, when I looked at the back of my Blu-Ray copy of Brynhildr to see if there was a dub, I must have missed it. My mistake.

Well, then, maybe the reviewer listened to the dub, and the dub was mangled...? I never listen to dubs, so I wouldn't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3