• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Godzilla vs. King Kong Film Slated for 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
And with how the recent Godzilla movie turned out, expect only ten minutes of Monster fighting, the rest will be told through metaphors with an American soldier.

I love how you ignorantly assume one U.S.-made Godzilla movie automatically means that all giant monster movies made here will turn out exactly the same.

Except it's not an ignorant assumption. Every second they have to animate CGZilla costs $$$$$$. It's not financially feasible to incorporate much more than 10-15 mins of screen time. I can guarantee you the next movie will be similar. The Godzilla fight will just be the 'icing' on top of the character driven cake. Please also don't forget that this is Hollywood we are talking about. Once they find a formula that works they will latch onto it for as long as possible.

I honestly prefer the guys in suits.
bnio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
to be fair I do believe Magilla gorilla I mean King Kong can out run Godzilla
so he should be able to flank him, climb him and poke his eyes out or something, it's not like Godzilla can reach his back with his arms and he can't really use any tools to shake him off
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This is some interesting news I didn't think it would come out until much later. Anyway I'm sure that they will find a way to even up the score (Enlargement Ray Anyone?) or whatever to make it interesting so my hindsight of this movie is 2020 get it! Wink
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
King Kong won in the original, but that was back when Godzilla wasn't the super popular cultural icon he is today. Anyway I'm excepting no real winner, and they'll have to come together to fight a bigger threat.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:59 am Reply with quote
Godzilla could be like the dragon, while King Kong could be like the "human" dragonslayer knight. Puny knights have beaten big bad fire-breathing dragons in movies before.

Though probably like other "vs." Japanese films, they'll start out fighting each other but then later team up against another threat........ maybe the humans. Laughing

VanGosroth wrote:

Except it's not an ignorant assumption. Every second they have to animate CGZilla costs $$$$$$. It's not financially feasible to incorporate much more than 10-15 mins of screen time.

Do people realize that, combined, all of the original Jurassic Park's CG dinos have just 6 minutes of screen time, while total dinosaur effects shots make up only 14 minutes of the 127 minute film. Laughing
Still worked though; it's just how ya do it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
If Japan can make a Frankenstein monster large enough to fight a giant dinosaur then the US can certainly make a giant gorilla gianter to fight a gianter giant dinosaur. Not a problem.

Look, in the original movie, Toho shrunk Godzilla and no one noticed. Or they jut didn't care about size perspective...

Yeah, someone brought up the Marvel slate of movies but this reminds me more about what Sony had planned for the Amazing Spider-Man. They're trying to make a franchise out of a single movie... whose character already has a separate production history... even before the first sequel is received.

And I'm not just talking about Godzilla because Kong's the bigger question mark. I've tried rewatching Jackson's Kong; The film may be pretty but the experience wasn't. Yes, we know King Kong's in it, why does it take so long to get to Skull Island and all those fun monsters? Godzilla 2014 is a great monster movie, it's fine but that Kong was such a waste.

The crossover film could be decent as it shouldn't be that hard to make either of them a villain- so we don't get the "heroes meet, heroes fight, heroes team up against a common foe" story line- but why are they still insisting Skull Island is a prequel? And they'd have to introduce a smaller Godzilla in the Godzilla sequel...

It's all potentially there, there's just too many Studios getting in the way. It's not as if Toho won't have a say in the matter...

In the end, anything that helps in getting the original Japanese version of King Kong versus Godzilla released in the states is fine by me. That's the one I want.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Another thing is that the Godzilla movies aren't exactly meant to be taken seriously (the original one, perhaps) and sort of flow well into the campy environment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Cheagle Woods wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Godzilla could be like the dragon, while King Kong could be like the "human" dragonslayer knight. Puny knights have beaten big bad fire-breathing dragons in movies

Dragons, depends on what kind, in European mythology people tend to make knights win all the time to boost faith and morality in them. As for mythology In other regions of the world dragons are described as being wise and knowledgable. So comparing a man swinging around a slate of metal while wearing heavy metal armor (also known as an excellent conductor of heat), to an ancient dragon with thick scales, fire/lightning or any other elemental ability, not to mention talons sharp enough to slice through solid stone. So yeah I can't imagine humans ever wining against dragons. Smile

That's why they use armaments made out of dragonscales that's resistant to fire (or whatever the dragon's power). Doncha play RPGs?! Very Happy

(And Kong is not beyond "borrowing" whatever technology the humans develop in fighting Godzilla. Humans always develop something in these movies.)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
just bring in Pacific Rim into this and we are all set!

I don't think they're going to given things like different continuities and what not.
Gohan22

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that the size difference matters all that much:

1. Both of them have varied in size depending on the film anyway.
2. Hardcore fans may pay attention to that stuff, but I doubt that the GA will care much as long as the film is good/entertaining.

So they could just, make King Kong bigger and leave it at that.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
SO EXCITED! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Ahem. Anyway, Kong is a giant ape, most people won't care that he becomes an even *bigger* giant ape with no explanation. He ate some mystical fruit, aliens did it, he was just a baby in skull island, he gets struck by lightning, radiation, etc. There's a million ways to make him bigger in one offhand remark by a character. And the whole 'there will only be 10 minutes of monsters' someone made a graph of Godzilla's screen time in all the movies, and G '14 was squarely in the middle. There were tons of classic movies where he had the same amount or even less screen time. So that argument is pretty invalid for complaints.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2