• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ring Finger artist, Miki Falls artist, CMX interviewed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If I had to pick a manga publisher that deserves more credit than it gets, DC’s CMX line would be at the top of the list.

And yet, you don't even cover the whole TenTen debacle. Don't journalists even do research anymore?

Quote:
I’ve seen some reports that make it seem like we’ve never done any mature titles before.

Thats because you sanitized it to the point it isn't a Mature title, it's a complete farce!!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Young Magician is one of their mature titles which featurs a fair amount of horror.

The Tenjyo Tenge fans just don't let up. One title & they seem to have tried to not repeat the mistake.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
CCS: If they just dumped TenTen on a publisher which would release it correctly, they'd be fine, but they keep trying to re-package it and pretend that they're not hurting from irate hardcore fans and uninterested casual fans.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
I looked into a previous thread here on ANN, and they claimed that TenTen was one of their most popular titles. So what I wanna know is, what were the sales figures?
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Quote:
If I had to pick a manga publisher that deserves more credit than it gets, DC’s CMX line would be at the top of the list.

And yet, you don't even cover the whole TenTen debacle. Don't journalists even do research anymore?

Quote:
I’ve seen some reports that make it seem like we’ve never done any mature titles before.

Thats because you sanitized it to the point it isn't a Mature title, it's a complete farce!!

Mabye it's because the TenTen issue has been slaughtered to deadly death by fans and interviewers? At the moment, it's moving to the Mature label, keeping the same price/size, and should be far, far less edited [possibly even unedited... from my understanding, that should be the case]

You're also overlooking their other mature titles like Testarotho [which earns it's Mature rating and unedited label quite well], Madara, Monster Collection, Sword of the Dark Ones, and the Young Magician with your statements, all of which are unedited [which is what CMX was talking about]. The issues with TenTen were due to their contract with Shueisha, and it looks as if things have been resolved

I imagine if the unedited version of newer volumes does well, we could even see new editions of earlier volumes in the future. But no, people will just whinge on the internet. READ SOME OF CMX'S BOOKS

Emma is the most awesome title currently being released in English people, and Swan's layouts are insane. Dooooo iiiittttttttt

Last edited by Paploo on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:40 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
I looked into a previous thread here on ANN, and they claimed that TenTen was one of their most popular titles. So what I wanna know is, what were the sales figures?

Most companies don't release their sales figures [just like they don't reveal specifics of contract, licensing agreements, etc. Trade Secrets are secrets for a good reason Smile].... if you dig around online though, you can usually find some stats like sales charts from different distributors- try taking a look around.

Still, given it's a shonen title with a popular anime tie-in [a lot of CMX titles don't have an anime tiein], I could see it doing well. Though given their wide range of shojo titles, I imagine those are doing well for them too.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

You're also overlooking their other mature titles like Testarotho [which earns it's Mature rating and unedited label quite well],

Read it. Boring piece that tries too hard to throw in different elements and make it a plausible story. The Spanish Inqusition from Monty Python had better credentials than these Inquisitors.

Quote:
Sword of the Dark Ones

Read it. Why it was labeled as "Mature" is beyond me. It didn't feel "Mature."

Quote:
Young Magician

Read it. Boring as ****

Quote:
The issues with TenTen were due to their contract with Shueisha, and it looks as if things have been resolved

Still see unneed undies here and there.

Quote:
I imagine if the unedited version of newer volumes does well, we could even see new editions of earlier volumes in the future.

Paploo wrote:
Still, given it's a shonen title with a popular anime tie-in [a lot of CMX titles don't have an anime tiein], I could see it doing well. Though given their wide range of shojo titles, I imagine those are doing well for them too.

Put your money where your mouth is and prove it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Paploo wrote:

You're also overlooking their other mature titles like Testarotho [which earns it's Mature rating and unedited label quite well],

Read it. Boring piece that tries too hard to throw in different elements and make it a plausible story. The Spanish Inqusition from Monty Python had better credentials than these Inquisitors.

You might not like it, but it's still unedited and Mature. Same to all other titles.
Also, titles might not be mature readers ones in Japan [Tengo Tenge is aimed at older teens], but the content within them might justify a mature readers label so they can release it unedited domestically [this is the case with a lot of TP's and Viz's mature titles].

I looks like TT will still be "edited for US release", http://dccomics.com/cmx/?action=on_sale&i=8255 but a mature label will mean less edits. If you want unedited Oh! Great manga, give Fantagraphics a call.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Paploo wrote:

http://www.google.ca I have stuffs to do. It's not that hard to use google.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya:
Quote:

Probably decent, if they have low expectations. Rolling Eyes

Paploo:
Quote:
The issues with TenTen were due to their contract with Shueisha, and it looks as if things have been resolved

I'm not sure what Shueisha has to do with it. If Dark Horse can release Gantz uncut, DC can release TenTen uncut.

Quote:
At the moment, it's moving to the Mature label, keeping the same price/size, and should be far, far less edited [possibly even unedited... from my understanding, that should be the case]

Doubt it. If they were going to release it unedited, they'd have to release it poly-bagged; and that would hurt sales. They're just slapping the mature label on there to make you think it's unedited, and because their young teen target audience wasn't as interested in it as they'd hoped.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Quote:
Sword of the Dark Ones

Quote:
Young Magician

Read it. Boring as ****

Quote:

Still see unneed undies here and there.

Quote:
I imagine if the unedited version of newer volumes does well, we could even see new editions of earlier volumes in the future.

Paploo wrote:

I obviously don't have your refined tastes in manga. I suppose I should burn the 2100 volumes of manga I currently possess & start worshipping at the altar of big boobs & panty shots which will be winning the Nobel prize any day now.

Although, as a chick, I'd rather worship at the altar of Bishonen titles like Saiyuki & Descendants of Darkness (which Viz edited. Rage against the vile censors!!!! Oh yeah-I really didn't care, did I? It was stupid, but overall, I was more interested in the ENTIRE title than Muraki raping Hisoaka)

No, there wasn't any sex in Sword of the Dark Ones, but there was a lot of violence. I wished it'd been longer so we could have fleshed the story out. Yeah, in the middle of GetBackers & SDK it feels as though we'll never see the end, but we reached the end of GTO & just maybe we'll be seeing the end to Dragon Knights (at a certain point, I just want to wrap it all up & finish the story), so I'm sure we'll get to the end eventually.
Unless the book gets cancelled (grrrr. Dark Horse. Damn their souls to the blackest pits of Hell for dropping 3X3 Eyes because they were charging twice as much for it as most other manga being released. Of course my ire hasn't stopped me from reading Hellsing, Mail, & I just ordered 5 volumes of whatever it is Corpse Delivery Service from the last Dark Horse Right Stuf sale)
Or if it's InuYasha/Rumiko Takahashi. She seems reluctant to end stuff. When I hopefully retire in 10 yrs, I fear InuYasha will STILL be running in Japan .

Young Magician moves about the same as Planet Ladder which I also loved. Yes, grass might just grow faster, but the story is excellent. Women do not live by fan service & secret martial arts techniques alone.

Lament of the Lamb also moves painfully slow, but it was worth it.

Seimaden is another CMX title I enjoy, thank you. Like Young Magician, I came to it from a prior You Higuri title Gorgeous Carat. In fact, I love the artist's style enough I've also bought Poison & Jewel, the 2 artbooks she's done.

From Eroica With Love is another fantastic CMX title--old as dirt, but so great. They insist it's not yaoi, but it's close enough, kiddies. The lead is flaming as are half his employees & he will never get his precious Klaus who hates gays, but all the jokes are there.

So Tenjyo Tenge had an anime tie-in (got it. Whoopie. We get an addictive theme song well animated, some good VA's, some cookie cutter shonen characters & a plot we've all seen 20 times.) Most of their shojo line counts on us gals following the works of manga-kas we like & being willing to read other titles by them like Young Magician, & Seimaden.

As for putting one's money where one's mouth is?
Their imprint still exists. If they were losing money, they'd have gone the way of Raijin, Ice Kunion & the others who have vanished (never going to see the end of Pagans or Dark Edge, are we?). Not only are they still here, they're getting new titles. If they were doing as poorly as you seem to think, DC would cut them off, but DC seemed pretty interested in the line at Comic-con this year.

My husband used to think the only movies worth going to were R-rated-"get some tits in there" & swearing. He would actually comment on this or that title being good even though it was "just" PG13. He also was in a motorcycle accident when he was 16 & had a hunk of his brain cut out so his idea of mature was a bit simple. I never bother to looks at the rating on books or movies because I figure a good story is a good story whether the author throws in gratuitous sex or violence or not.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
[quote="Hon'ya-chan"]
Paploo wrote:

Quote:
Sword of the Dark Ones

It didn't feel mature to me either. Even the violence didn't seen on a mature level- and it makes me wonder if they just slapped mature on it or the hell of it.

I stopped buying Oh great altogether. Plus for some reason- I don't like how CMX puts their books together. More than once it seems like text is running off the page into the middle and I can't read it.

I can't blame anyone for being upset with edits in anything- and the lack luster job they've put into "fixing the title". Also for the Yami no Matseui reference I just decided not to buy the seris either. I wanted to see the whole thing.

If you don't want trouble then (when its possible) listen to fans. it seems like CMX just did what they wanted. If they thought it needed to be edited that heavily they should have just let the title go to someone who could to it right.
i could be wrong on that- feel free to correct me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote
CCS:
Quote:
I obviously don't have your refined tastes in manga. I suppose I should burn the 2100 volumes of manga I currently possess & start worshipping at the altar of big boobs & panty shots which will be winning the Nobel prize any day now.

I think the point that Hon'ya-chan is trying to make is that, in their attempt to sell more copies, CMX is lumping an explicit manga under the same label as titles which might have some mature situations, but which are generally acceptable to young readers. Also, Lone Wolf and Cub has tons of gratuitous sex and violence, and it's considered a "classic", and even won an Eisner!

Quote:

Although, as a chick, I'd rather worship at the altar of Bishonen titles like Saiyuki & Descendants of Darkness (which Viz edited. Rage against the vile censors!!!! Oh yeah-I really didn't care, did I? It was stupid, but overall, I was more interested in the ENTIRE title than Muraki raping Hisoaka)

There's a difference between one panel versus an entire book. Plus the DoD manga-ka admits she wasn't satisfied with the chapter, anyway, so you don't really lose anything.

Quote:
No, there wasn't any sex in Sword of the Dark Ones, but there was a lot of violence.

There's a lot of violence in DB, and it's still not considered a Shonen Jump Advance title.

Quote:
Their imprint still exists. If they were losing money, they'd have gone the way of Raijin, Ice Kunion & the others who have vanished (never going to see the end of Pagans or Dark Edge, are we?).

The other companies didn't have a major monopoly backing them.

Quote:
If they were doing as poorly as you seem to think, DC would cut them off, but DC seemed pretty interested in the line at Comic-con this year.

That's because DC's own comics are doing worse by comparison, because they relied a little too much on characters dying to sell more copies. Plus their movies bombing recently have probably further killed sales.

Quote:
My husband used to think the only movies worth going to were R-rated-"get some tits in there" & swearing. He would actually comment on this or that title being good even though it was "just" PG13. He also was in a motorcycle accident when he was 16 & had a hunk of his brain cut out so his idea of mature was a bit simple.

Wow, I'm sorry he married you, and hope he can find someone who understands him better than you do. Rolling Eyes

britannica:
Quote:
Also for the Yami no Matseui reference I just decided not to buy the seris either.

The anime's the only version worth seeing, anyway. The manga's bi-polar at times.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
My husband used to think the only movies worth going to were R-rated-"get some tits in there" & swearing. He would actually comment on this or that title being good even though it was "just" PG13. He also was in a motorcycle accident when he was 16 & had a hunk of his brain cut out so his idea of mature was a bit simple.

Wow, I'm sorry he married you, and hope he can find someone who understands him better than you do. Rolling Eyes

He's been in a little bronze box in my teen's room since January 2001.
Notice the past tense use.
And I put up with way more of his mental & physical abuse than I should have because I cut him way too much slack over his traumatic brain injury.
You try living with a guy for 20 yrs who's mentally between 9-16.

And having lived thru finding my husband of 21 yrs dead, squaking over 1 manga after all this time is past old.
The list of stuff we're bever getting fixed is long.
I'd still like to see Shaman King past those 2 dvds they released, but I doubt it's happening. Tokyo Mew Mew. We lucked out (maybe) with One Piece (unless it doesn't do well & Funi doesn't go back & re-do the 4Kids eps or finish the dub)
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

As for putting one's money where one's mouth is?
Their imprint still exists. If they were losing money, they'd have gone the way of Raijin, Ice Kunion & the others who have vanished (never going to see the end of Pagans or Dark Edge, are we?). Not only are they still here, they're getting new titles. If they were doing as poorly as you seem to think, DC would cut them off, but DC seemed pretty interested in the line at Comic-con this year.

Recap:

I see something in another thread, about how CMX is selling buttloads of TenTen. Naturally, being skeptical (and I also blame Wikipedia, damn you Wikipedia Cabal!!), I ask for figures.

You come along, say "Oh yes, you can find it anywhere, they sold wellz, LOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111"

I call your bluff, ask you to prove it.

You reply with a witty remark and completely do a turnaround.

Classic.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
CCS:
Quote:
And I put up with way more of his mental & physical abuse than I should have because I cut him way too much slack over his traumatic brain injury.

I'm sorry to hear that, but if the injury prevented him from restraining himself or recognizing his actions, it's not his fault. Even if it was his fault, though, it's not fair to compare him to Hon'ya-chan.

Quote:
You try living with a guy for 20 yrs who's mentally between 9-16.

Man, whatever happened to, "'Til Death Do Us Part?" What if you were the one with the disfigurement and not him? Would you appreciate being bad-mouthed behind your back?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2