• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions Film Reveals Designs, Cast for Returning Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Oh yes! The folks of the initial show are back.
Now I'm wondering how the casting's going to be like on the English version of The Dark Side of Dimensions (assuming Konami picks the show up).

I was wondering that myself. I wouldn't mind so much if they switched out the original voices for newer people. As long as the dialog isn't the way it was back in the day.

And that they don't cut everything.

It's gonna get butchered.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
As long as Yugi ends up with Anzu, I will be happy. Certainly Anzu had feelings for Yugi and Atem but it's who she loved more that concerns me.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Maki Saito hasn't done voice work for almost SIX YEARS! It's great to see her back, at least for a little bit.

As a personal request, I'd like to ask that Mai Kujaku join this party...
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Oh yes! The folks of the initial show are back.
Now I'm wondering how the casting's going to be like on the English version of The Dark Side of Dimensions (assuming Konami picks the show up).

i'm afraid that is going to happen since konami and 4k media (aka 4kids reincarnation) is calling the shots anything related to the dub version of the franchise. which mean heavy editing and giving those dub haters all the ammo they need. so while it will do ok in japan, i'm afraid this movie will be DOA (Dead on Arrival) when it comes to the US cause fans are just gonna avoid the 4kids type hack job 4k media is gonna do with the english and resort to fansubs (there is a reason why Yugioh Arc V's haven't even got a US broadcast).

the YGO franchise is unfortunately in the same tragic boat, just like with pokemon. unless they holders give the dubbing to respected anime dub studios and companies like viz media and others, otakus here will only watch fansubs of those series and avoid their dub counterparts like if its a bad nightmare which it is for the US otaku community.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
You guys do remember that the only edits in the last movie were to convert the Japanese cards to their English show counterparts, right? No other paint edits or cuts. The script was definitely rewritten but it still remained closer than the average 4Kids script. The only thing to really be worried about is the music.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
You guys do remember that the only edits in the last movie were to convert the Japanese cards to their English show counterparts, right? No other paint edits or cuts. The script was definitely rewritten but it still remained closer than the average 4Kids script. The only thing to really be worried about is the music.

not quite. since their doing a movie about the original series, as you saw in the article ,the unholy alliance of konami/4k media is definitely keeping those awful english names for the characters which would peeve die hard fans to no ends. and while people will have no issue with the conversion of the japaneese cards, i'm afraid there is gonna be edits and cuts all from the board.especially for the music,and after seeing arc v, you'll definitely need to be worried.

so its as i said, unless the movie doesnt get licensed by 4k media,which is undoubtedly apparent it will happen or if the entire franchise as a whole gets its license re rescued from that unholy alliance of konami and 4k media and given to a respect anime company,it will be just as i said.

very successful in japan,but will become and afterthought when it comes to the US cause fans will be going to the fansubs instead of having to inject themselves to another 4kids type dub again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
It's gonna get butchered.

Why would it? The movie is being produced for a global release aimed at older fans.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
It will likely be butchered in terms of censorship and dialogue.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

The movie was definitely more PG than the show. They outright said that Anubis was the Egyptian God of the Dead, there was a scene where Yugi's friends eviscerated a group of mummies, and Pegasus mentioned drinking wine instead of juice like in the series.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

The movie was definitely more PG than the show. They outright said that Anubis was the Egyptian God of the Dead, there was a scene where Yugi's friends eviscerated a group of mummies, and Pegasus mentioned drinking wine instead of juice like in the series.

Hagaren is likely referring to the 3D movie from a few years ago. 4Kids paid for the production of Pyramid of Light, so one would hope they wouldn't edit anything.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
the YGO franchise is unfortunately in the same tragic boat, just like with pokemon. unless they holders give the dubbing to respected anime dub studios and companies like viz media and others, otakus here will only watch fansubs of those series and avoid their dub counterparts like if its a bad nightmare which it is for the US otaku community.

TPCI's Pokemon dub as of XY is quite faithful for the most part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2