• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design Your Own Brave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
I can see how these three contestants came out in top, but I was still hoping that somebody out there was skilled enough to draw something high quality at the level of a veteran Japanese anime style artist.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
There's always going to be a notable difference because of different backgrounds for the artists. This sort of character design is all over the place for a Japanese artist, whereas in the west, anyone attempting to imitate Japanese output has more limited exposure and likely began with a style very different to anything commonly seen in Japan, so you more often see something artificial or a fusion of east and west. Western artists do sometimes get very close though.

Nothing stops an aspiring western artist from studying manga and anime real close, identifying patterns of character design, posture, expressions, and architecture, and making something indistinguishable--but even then, there is tremendous variety in art style among anime and manga artists. Nevertheless, Japan and, in the case of this content, the United States, are two countries that have had long independently-evolving art scenes with their own movements and famous artists, and someone living in one of these two countries who wants to be an artist will be tied to what they're exposed to.

I would prefer to see artists, when given free reign, to use their own natural style. The first-place winner certainly looks like so; the artwork does not look forced in any way.

As for the winners, I definitely feel they were deserved, and I found them to be some of the best in the lot too. Interesting that none of the angsty brooding sarcastic loners were picked.

Quesiton though: Was there a lot of background information given about the show? I thought it wasn't even out yet, so I also assumed it'd be kind of hard to create a character who'd fit in with the setting of such a show.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I can see how these three contestants came out in top, but I was still hoping that somebody out there was skilled enough to draw something high quality at the level of a veteran Japanese anime style artist.

People who that skilled are going to be taking paid jobs rather than joining a contest with no guarantee of winning. And even if it wasn't about money if they were veteran level they'd probably rather draw something they love then enter a contest.

but that said, Congrats to the winners. Good Job~!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Question though: Was there a lot of background information given about the show? I thought it wasn't even out yet, so I also assumed it'd be kind of hard to create a character who'd fit in with the setting of such a show.

It simulcasted this summer. Anyone who wants to (and has a good internet connection) can watch the entire thing on Crunchyroll. I assume most people who entered had watched the show.

(Highly recommended, by the way! It was my favorite show of the summer. Very Happy Yeah, the animation quality kind of died, but it was an extremely engaging mystery.)
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on the winners. If I had known going more in depth would have been preferred, I would have done the same. Laughing

I personally only kept things simple because they said to use their pages for the Braves from the show as an example, so I was thinking that was more along the lines of what they wanted, short, simple, to the point. Embarassed
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
How do I look at the winners?
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
How do I look at the winners?

animenewsnetwork.com/contest/2015-10-19/design-your-own-brave/.94371
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
It simulcasted this summer. Anyone who wants to (and has a good internet connection) can watch the entire thing on Crunchyroll. I assume most people who entered had watched the show.

(Highly recommended, by the way! It was my favorite show of the summer. Very Happy Yeah, the animation quality kind of died, but it was an extremely engaging mystery.)

Ah, that explains a lot. I didn't pay attention to this summer's lineup, so I didn't realize it had already aired.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
First of all, big congrats to the three winners!
1st place was very cute.
2nd place had one heck of a backstory.
3rd place was very unique.
Once again, great job! Very Happy

Though might I ask, was that all the entries?
I thought I submitted one but I never saw it. Now I'm questioning if I filled out the submission form correctly. Goldfish memory and all. Embarassed
Well, it's no biggie. I wasn't expecting to win anyway. I just wanted to participate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Megane Sawako-chan wrote:

I thought I submitted one but I never saw it. Now I'm questioning if I filled out the submission form correctly. Goldfish memory and all. Embarassed
Well, it's no biggie. I wasn't expecting to win anyway. I just wanted to participate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Either that, or it was removed for breaking the rules. eg. Taking someone else's work.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

Either that, or it was removed for breaking the rules. eg. Taking someone else's work.

Oh, I'd never ever take someone's else art. It'd bring great shame on my artistic soul.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

They already posted entries that used someone elses work, so I doubt that'd have been the reason.

Maybe you didn't fill out the submission properly? Or it got lost in transit somehow. A shame you didn't get to see your entry!
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

They already posted entries that used someone elses work, so I doubt that'd have been the reason.

They said before that they'd removed entries and had simply missed those particular ones. Still, I'm sure that that wasn't the case in this situation. Maybe it was just file size or something similar.

Anyway, congrats to the winners! They were all well-deserved.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, Ecotone looks like a Stand. The abilities are even what would be unique to a Stand. Ecotone's design is radical.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

Maybe you didn't fill out the submission properly? Or it got lost in transit somehow. A shame you didn't get to see your entry!

Yeah, I'm the type of person who's gung-ho out of the gate but then ends up tripping at the finish line. Embarassed
A tiny part of me is a bit glad I didn't subject you guys to my crappy art though. Laughing
I made quite the blunder on my entry by not drawing in the Brave crest completely and didn't catch till later. And then there were some details in my description that I wanted to clarify but I had already 'submitted', so I felt I couldn't alter it. But now I can and did, if only for my own satisfaction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5